• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight Safe Options

USMCGRUNT0341

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2008
Hello all,

I was looking to get some opinions on gun safes. I have also posted on AR in case you see it there also.

I have a Sentry 2459C I have had for several years. Recently, I have come into a lot more rifles/pistols and need to upgrade. I am looking to get rid of the heavy fire rated safe and moving into several lightweight stackable safes. I live in an urban area with a full-time fire department. They would most likely be ruined by the water in the basement before anything. I was going to opt for a good insurance instead. Some of them are irreplaceable, but I just have to hope for the best.

I will probably be in the area of needing space for 30+ rifles and 40+ pistols. Even if I could get majority of them in, I would be happy.

I was looking at the SecureIt Agile Model 52 and Model 40. They look like the lightest I could find with a design that will allow for optics, scopes, etc. I would try to add some type of pistol organizer on the door to hold as many as possible.

I wanted to see if there were any others out there that anyone could recommend I take a look at? I am looking for light enough for two people to lift and carry to a basement.

Thanks!

how about something like a vault door if you have a spare closet or room?

Reactions: TrevK
how about something like a vault door if you have a spare closet or room?
Thank you for the reply. I was actually going to add that to the original message. A vault door isn't really an option at this point. I should have thought of that before I finished the basement. Thanks!

How much security do they provide? They look more like a gun cabinet than a “safe”. I do like their concepts to store a lot in a small space.
I don’t think the security is the top feature and more of portability. But that’s just from the research I’ve done. I’m actually looking at their “cabinets” as well. They are secure enough for military grade parameters. I am sure that’s within their armory though.

They have some good videos on their website talking about all the features, bogus fire ratings on some safes, etc. They originally had their cabinets for military installations until some SEALS wanted them for their personal homes.

There are some beautiful safes out there, but I’m looking for lightweight. The security aspect is secondary for me personally.

I'm hoping to order 2. So I can stack em. Have one with long guns and one with ammo and handguns. Not to worried about fire rating as a raging inferno plus a bunch of water isn't going to go well for the "safe" or the contents. Plus the fact that I'm 10 minutes from the closest volunteer fire department.

Reactions: USMCGRUNT0341
I went with a zannatti armor Z-1 with the 16 gun rack. It might fit 16 with scopes (or AR style), but it would be tight. It took 16 weeks to delivery (which is freight, COD) and came on a pallet. I took it all down to the basement myself and assembled it in place. The door is the heaviest bit, but not unmanageable.

I like it a lot.

I went with a zannatti armor Z-1 with the 16 gun rack. It might fit 16 with scopes (or AR style), but it would be tight. It took 16 weeks to delivery (which is freight, COD) and came on a pallet. I took it all down to the basement myself and assembled it in place. The door is the heaviest bit, but not unmanageable.

I like it a lot.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have never heard. I will definitely take a look at them.

I have an Agile 52 and like it. Ability to organize storage is better than any regular safe I’ve seen - much better than the regular gun safe I have anyhow. IMO it’s as good a deterrent as most traditional gun safes. If pros come for your guns they will get into your safe. We have sprinklers and are near fire stations so not as worried about fire. Typical smash and grab thieves likely wouldn’t even find it and, if they’re did, would have as hard a time getting it open as most gun safes. I just wanted something so I could keep all the guns locked up and away from our grandkids

I have an Agile 52 and like it. Ability to organize storage is better than any regular safe I’ve seen - much better than the regular gun safe I have anyhow. IMO it’s as good a deterrent as most traditional gun safes. If pros come for your guns they will get into your safe. We have sprinklers and are near fire stations so not as worried about fire. Typical smash and grab thieves likely wouldn’t even find it and, if they’re did, would have as hard a time getting it open as most gun safes. I just wanted something so I could keep all the guns locked up and away from our grandkids

Thanks for the review on the Model 52. I am up in the air with getting a few of the 52 and 40's or just going for the cage. I think for portability you can't beat the 100 pound 52 and 40's.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I second the SecureIt lines. True they're closer to a locked cabinet than the "safes" shown online. But as they mention on their website, most safes aren't very fireproof anyways. Also, any dedicated robber can still cut through the sides as the front door gets most of the love. Have their FastBox and it works get for a slim and streamlined storage. There's a number of holes for attaching them on the bottom and sides. Also a big fan of the organization via slipping on and off different tubs and dividers with their CradleGrid. Theyr'e also honest with how many will actually fit inside a safe and they're deep enough for scoped rifles and the like. I'd lean towards maybe the Agilile Ultralights and stack/organize a few. Some other benefits are they're light enough for you to move/organize, no needs to hire a specialized mover company. Plus, depending on your space considerations, a handful of units that hold say 6-8 long guns, with space for a few handguns on top might be the way to go.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Just buy a locking husky tool cabinet from home depot and put in a wallcontrol or similar system. Tons of space and ability to customize.

Reactions: K80/6.5
Reactions: Flather18
Not sure what is currently available in this line but in 2020 I bought this:

Stack-On GCB-18C Steel 18-Gun Convertible Steel Security Cabinet, Black​

the Amazon link isn't recognized here. Tried 3 times. It was less than $400.

It is 75lbs. At 65, I carried it up 2 flights of stairs in my arms, no hand truck. It was a Commiefornia legal cabinet. The Securit Agile line will probably be more secure but other cheaper light weight options are out there. Currently I'm only using this cabinet for 50 BMG ammo and 5 pistols in the master bdrm. The expensive stuff is in a Liberty Lincoln 50.

Last edited: