• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight Scope (~25oz) With Repeatable Turrets

6point5CM

Jedi
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Seattle / Montana
I am finishing up a lighter weight build in 6.5 SAUM 4S. I'm looking for a scope to put on top that will keep it at the 8.5 lb mark loaded which leaves about 25oz for a scope. I currently have a Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50 that weighs 24oz, but am wanting a tad more mag. I'll have a spotter on most hunts, but when time is critical, or when following a group of bachelor animals and they are changing place, I'd like the extra mag to verify points, things like that. Most of my trips are solo so hopping up to get on the spotter and confirm something and then getting behind the gun is wasted time. I don't need it for true spotting however, as I'll use my spotter for that.

In that weight, the only two that have really caught my eye are a Sightron III 6-24x50 (24.3 oz) with a MOA 2 or MOA H reticle (I like the reticles) or a March 2.5-25x52 (23.4 oz) with MTR 3 reticle (I like the reticle). I can get the SIII for ~$700 new. The March more like $2300 new. If I went with the March, it would be awhile until I could get the scope on there. The SIII I could get right away, but again, I have the Premier as a stop gap, and a damn good one at that.

Are there any other scopes I'm missing? Don't really need/want FFP, but don't mind it either. Used to it on quite a few of my scopes, but generally don't run it on a LR hunting scope unless it's a match backup scope. Thought about the new Athlon Ares but haven't heard the best reviews on glass. I liked my Cronus however (but 10oz to heavy). I have looked through a SIII and thought glass comparable, and probably a tad better than NXS. I have heard nothing about great track records for SIII's tracking. March, I have no experience with.

Cartridge: 6.5 SAUM 4S (.296 neck, .120 FB)

Action: Lone Peak Arms Razor Ti SA (20 oz))

Stock: Stockys Stocks M50 Carbon Fiber (31 oz confirmed)

Barrel: Proof Sendero 26" 1:8 twist (3lb 5.1 oz)

Rings: Hawkins Long Range Hybrid 25 MOA 30mm (3 oz)

Trigger: Trigger Tech @ 2lb pull (1.809 oz)

Bottom Metal: Factory SA Rem 700P bottom metal (1.998 oz)

Action Screws: Factory Rem 700P Screws (.578 oz)

Spring: Factory LA Rem 700 Spring (.398 oz)

Follower: Factory Rem 700 SAUM Follower (.539 oz)

Extended Wyatt Mag Box 3.00 Internal COAL (~.7 oz)

Muzzle Brake: TBD (hoping on a custom turned to contour Titanium brake from Rbros)

Bipod: Javelin Ultralight Bipod Adapter (.469 oz)

Looks like bare rifle should be 6 lb 14.1 oz (without muzzle brake), and scoped should be ~8 lb 8-10 oz depending on scope. Ti brake will add a little bit. Should end up over 3 lbs lighter than my .300 WM in my signature. Will be appreciated on week long backcountry trips!

Last edited:
I use the MTR 3 reticle in an 8 - 80 March for mostly target work and its good for that . Have you considered the 3 - 24 FFP March ?
Seems like a perfect match for a SAUM , and has enough elevation to get you to well over a mile .Tracking and durability has been
flawless on the March scopes I run . Had a Sightron 10 60 literally fall apart on me , its a 2 piece tube and the front half detached
from the back half …. I'm not easy on gear , March scopes have held zero and taken whatever I have thrown at them .

March was somewhat of a mystery to me before I bought mine. I did a lot of searching and reading reviews, before I pulled the trigger. I don't think I ever found anything about not tracking well.

For the weight, size/footprint, zoom range, etc. no other scope that I've seen comes close to what it offers. It just doesn't have the name recognization like some others. It's a very good companion for a hunting rifle. If it were me I would hold off and save for one.

Everything else that I would recommend would be a couple ounces heavier.

I'm debating a build on the LPA Razor TI, you'll have to let me know how you like it.

What about the Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50? At 28.8oz is just 3.8oz heavier and it's a hell of scope.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The FFP March 3-24 that was already mentioned was about the best I could find for high mag, low weight. I ended up going with a Mk6 instead, but it sounds like you want the higher mag range.

Reactions: DellaDog
I was in your same position and I ended up going with a razor amg. It's 28.8 oz I believe but it's worth the 3-4 extra ounces for the locking turrets alone in my opinion.

I use the MTR 3 reticle in an 8 - 80 March for mostly target work and its good for that . Have you considered the 3 - 24 FFP March ?
Seems like a perfect match for a SAUM , and has enough elevation to get you to well over a mile .Tracking and durability has been
flawless on the March scopes I run . Had a Sightron 10 60 literally fall apart on me , its a 2 piece tube and the front half detached
from the back half …. I'm not easy on gear , March scopes have held zero and taken whatever I have thrown at them .

This^^^

R

Just had the opportunity to use a March scope (5-40x ffp) on an ELR rig and was really impressed at the quality of the glass and build quality, turret feel, etc. I think March is a bit of a "sleeper" at least in tactical circles. It's a bit of an unknown by many, just aren't that many of them around I guess but I was blown away at the clarity of targets at 2000 yds. I'm really a fan of Vortex due to the excellent value they represent for the quality & features you get but I'm definately going to keep March in consideration for future builds. I definately would not go down the Sightron path.

Razor AMG and if for some reason you don't like it just sell it.

Thanks for all the input fellas. Razor AMG is lighter than I thought, so could be a definite possibility. I need to sell and replace my Veracity 5-25 on my prairie dog gun (don't like the reticle or glass), so will probably sell and replace with the SIII, and can use that as a higher mag stop gap until I figure out the AMG $ a bit more. I like the idea of being able to roll off a moutain and have the company send me a new 3k scope without questions asked if it's damaged. Appreciate the input.

Some pro March guys in here as well, but I called around and no one carries any in stock around where I live to include the bullets.com guys. They do online only. It would be hard for me to get something like that without getting to play with it. I have a couple bigger matches coming up (JC Steel and RockLake) and will see if anyone is running a March or AMG I can get behind.