• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight Scope for Light Rifle?

diderr

The Patch Guy
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Gillette, Wyoming
datapatches.com
I’m trying to off-load my NX8 for something lighter weight. What are some of my options? Only thing I’ve come across is a Leupy Mark5hd 3.6-18. What else should I be looking at? Trying to stay in that general price range

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: tex68w
An NX8 is hardly a pig of an optic and anything lighter is going to be a pretty good compromise. Swapping to a MK5 to save a whopping 2.5oz I also don’t see being worth it. I would only swap optics if you’re going to drop down to something around 20oz and shave a half pound off. Without sacrificing reliability the LHT’s and NXS 2.5-10x42 are good but there’s still compromises.

I’d rather pull that RMR off and swap the Atlas bipod for something else to reduce weight.

Get a Ti muzzle brake.

Get hunter DBM vs M5.

Get a stock without mini chassis.

5 rd mag (or Hawkins flush) not sure of weights.

Move to a Ti action.

28-30 oz is where I am for a scope.
I just dont want to sacrifice glass and durability.

Lotta places to cut oz…..

Easiest way to cut some weight off your scope is less magnification. NX8 1-8 is 17.8oz, March 1-10 is 19oz, March 1.5-15 is 24oz iirc.

Could also shave 3-4oz by taking off the RMR and mount.

I have the NX8 1-8 (capped) on my Sig Cross. If I need to shoot further than the 1-8 allows, I need a heavier rifle anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
I’m trying to off-load my NX8 for something lighter weight. What are some of my options? Only thing I’ve come across is a Leupy Mark5hd 3.6-18. What else should I be looking at? Trying to stay in that general price range

I am curious about your build. What is the barrel length and caliber and your total weight without the bipod and mag? I am having the same dilemma about glass with my similar build as well, I don't want to sacrifice durability for the sake of a few ounces but I still need to be somewhat aware of weight. I want a little more power than a 10x optic provides but I have gotten a lot of 2.5-10x suggestions. Leupy Mk V 3.6-18x and NF ATACR 4-16x seem to be my best options in that price point without having to step up another $1k+ to a ZCO 420.

Reactions: diderr
I am curious about your build. What is the barrel length and caliber and your total weight without the bipod and mag? I am having the same dilemma about glass with my similar build as well, I don't want to sacrifice durability for the sake of a few ounces but I still need to be somewhat aware of weight. I want a little more power than a 10x optic provides but I have gotten a lot of 2.5-10x suggestions. Leupy Mk V 3.6-18x and NF ATACR 4-16x seem to be my best options in that price point without having to step up another $1k+ to a ZCO 420.
It’s a 22” 6 creedmoor barrel. And it has a TB CB MB on it also. I haven’t weighed it without the bipod but the bipod is a full pound. Atlas BT-65 cal with BT75 cleared feet. 12.87 + 2.68 oz. I could easily switch back to rubber feet but the cleared feet are pretty nice