• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lightweight steel vs. carbon for hunting rifle

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
What’s everyone seeing for pros and cons on each for a hunting rifle? Will be running a KGmade R30 can on the end so I’m thinking a #3 or #4 steel with and Adaptor up to 5/8-24. Won’t be a big bore, something short action mag or smaller.

What’s your preference on barrel type and why? Do you find you can beat on steel barrels more, etc.

You’ll be saving weight on a carbon barrel vs a steel barrel unless you go really light on a steel barrel. Benefit to carbon is you can have the weight of a pretty thin steel barrel but still thread to 5/8-24 and have the rigidity of a thicker contoured barrel. I’ve heard of people being concerned about damaging the carbon by knocking it into stuff, but I’m not certain how legitimate that is

A light contoured fluted steel barrel will give you the vast majority of weight savings of a carbon barrel at a fraction of the cost.

The advantages of carbon is that you can get a larger/stiffer contour while maintaining low weight, and for some the aesthetics.

Practically speaking, a light contoured steel barrel that's fluted will be the most cost effective way of achieving a light rifle. If cost is a major consideration of the build, I would skip the carbon and put your money in other parts of the rifle for a higher return.

I only have experience with proof sendero lite for carbon barrels. I really don't think you gain much over a lighter profile steel barrel, other then losing the adaptor to get upto 5/8" threading. They're all going to flex the barrel enough that you can just switch from can to no can without adjusting.

I do have proof barrels on my hunting rifles, but I've also ran steel.

A light contoured fluted steel barrel will give you the vast majority of weight savings of a carbon barrel at a fraction of the cost.

I wouldn't say that. Have you looked at the price of a Bart Fluted blank lately?

Look at the size of the carbon barrels guys post up when showing off their rifles. They aren’t saving weight unless compared to a thick steel barrel as most of Proofs barrels run about 3lbs at 24”. You can beat that weight with a steel barrel for half the cost.

I've got a 24" Brux #3 contour 6.5 barrel that came off a Defiance action. Weighs 3 lbs on the nose. So I think a heavier contour steel barrel like a Bartlein 3 or 4 would be more than 3 lbs as the Brux #3 is equivalent to a Bartlein 2B.

Muzzle threads.

The longer you go with a steel/stainless barrel that has enough meat for 5/8-24 muzzle threads, the more and more a carbon barrel wins for weight. However, if you don't care about threads, or if you're going with an especially short stainless barrel, it gets to be a wash, if not a win for stainless.

A 28" carbon barrel with 5/8-24 threads is going to be lighter than any stainless barrel that can have 5/8 threads. But if you start getting in the 16-20" range it really depends on contour/fluting etc... and can go either way.

Consider a light contour barrel with a thread adapter for when you need a can.

When I built my lighter weight hunting rifle I went with a model 70 featherweight contour stainless. It isn’t the lightest but it fits my needs. If I were hunting with a can, I’d either be looking at a carbon fiber barrel or a heavier contour with LRI’s aggressive fluting patterns for weight savings.

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I need to stay either round 20” with steel or go with a carbon fiber if I want longer. Preciate the help

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I need to stay either round 20” with steel or go with a carbon fiber if I want longer. Preciate the help
I've gone back to steel barrels and lighter contours flared up at the end to .730
Here's an 18" 7mm tikka prefit that weighs 2lbs.
It's shooting silly good out to 1340 yards
20220118_162744.jpg
20220118_162629.jpg
20220118_151640.jpg