• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Like clip ons? Check this out... Collimated Nox35, PVS14, vs UtcX

BigSkyRF

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2019
Anyone else tried to slap a Nox35 in front of a day scope and see how it performs? Curiosity killed the cat. I tried but could never get it close to zeroed. It was more than 10 mils to the right of where I was aiming so that was a no go.

Enter the Black optex Zero device for a PVS14.

I've been on the hunt for one of these for a while and finally found one. I initially bought it to use as a buddy setup with my PVS14. The design they have "works" but it never holds zero due to the up, down, left, right shift allowed by how the PVS mount utilizes threaded hole. I got the idea to pick up a wilcox SkeetIR flip to side mount that uses a dovetail mount. Cut the arm off of the initial mount that comes with the black optex deal and bam. Repeatable zero, solid mounting, and retains quick attach.

Scope info used ZCO 4-20 in a 1.5" high spuhr. Fence is 411 yards. House is 452.

Below are some pictures of the Nox35, PVS14 WP 2700 FOM with no illuminator Black optex 3x lens attached and a UTCX. all are on 20X.

The results are Surprising. I would say the UTCX is still better in the clarity/definition but man the NOX isnt bad. As far as pixelation goes, The NOX is actually better than the UTCX. This is what was surprising.

What do you guys think?

Scroll down for pics of nox35 vs utcx

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpeg
    IMG_3403.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3406.jpeg
    IMG_3406.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3399.jpeg
    IMG_3399.jpeg
    580.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3402.jpeg
    IMG_3402.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
NOX35 at 411 to the fence. it rained today and humidity is sitting at 57% once it was outside for a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3417.png
    IMG_3417.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
UTCX same area 2 minutes later so same conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_3412.png
    IMG_3412.png
    994.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3418.png
    IMG_3418.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: WhereNow&How
PVS14 same info as above. 4x and 20X no illuminator besides ambi light this is with their 3x lens attached.

16X is the middle photo

20X as you can see the image gets noticeably darker at 20X vs 16X.

Attachments

• IMG_3415.png
    IMG_3415.png
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3416.png
    IMG_3416.png
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3419.png
    IMG_3419.png
    777.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Anyone else tried to slap a Nox35 in front of a day scope and see how it performs? Curiosity killed the cat. I tried but could never get it close to zeroed. It was more than 10 mils to the right of where I was aiming so that was a no go.

Enter the Black optex Zero device for a PVS14.

I've been on the hunt for one of these for a while and finally found one. I initially bought it to use as a buddy setup with my PVS14. The design they have "works" but it never holds zero due to the up, down, left, right shift allowed by how the PVS mount utilizes threaded hole. I got the idea to pick up a wilcox SkeetIR flip to side mount that uses a dovetail mount. Cut the arm off of the initial mount that comes with the black optex deal and bam. Repeatable zero, solid mounting, and retains quick attach.

Scope info used ZCO 4-20 in a 1.5" high spuhr. Fence is 411 yards. House is 452.

Below are some pictures of the Nox35, PVS14 WP 2700 FOM with no illuminator Black optex 3x lens attached and a UTCX. all are on 20X.

The results are Surprising. I would say the UTCX is still better in the clarity/definition but man the NOX isnt bad. As far as pixelation goes, The NOX is actually better than the UTCX. This is what was surprising.

What do you guys think?

Scroll down for pics of nox35 vs utcx

Yup, tried the nox18, but like u found there is offset. Only option was the Wig method of use day optic to look at sighted in thermal reticle. But,...this gives another option. When you say "repeatable zero", what's your definition of this? ... Perfect, .5 moa, 1moa, 2 moa, etc?? Not trying to drill you, but u have my interest peaked. This option might be able to get a guy to a 1280 resolution.

Reactions: BigSkyRF
Yup, tried the nox18, but like u found there is offset. Only option was the Wig method of use day optic to look at sighted in thermal reticle. But,...this gives another option. When you say "repeatable zero", what's your definition of this? ... Perfect, .5 moa, 1moa, 2 moa, etc?? Not trying to drill you, but u have my interest peaked. This option might be able to get a guy to a 1280 resolution.
I need to get out and get pictures of groups so they can be documented.

But once you get it sighted in (within .5” of day time zero) groups will shoot as good as your rifle and shooting ability through thermal or NV allow.

Zero return is within a MOA I would say on the safe side. Probably under. Minute of fur for sure.

BigSky got some questions for you just seen this thread and my gears are turning. 1 between the two thermals and Pvs14 with the dovetail bridge mounts did they all cumulate to the same height over bore or close to it when mounted in the skeetIR mount? 2 did you have to zero between the 3 set ups separately or is it a one initial set up between the Black optex and scope? Trying to find out all can on the subject . I have no thermal or PVS-14 looking to get some soon the real reason is I like designing stuff I have a mill and lathe and have made mounts in the past .My next door neighbor runs a machine shop plant that machines parts for many major companies including SpaceX and pick his brain often over beers on some projects I’m working on he has a degree in mechanical engineering . I’ve got a design in my head to make a QD one piece incorporating the dovetail mount and allowing 1/4” increments adj. fore and aft to set the Black Optex to the scope or to the front thermal or NV. I’m currently working on a bipod design and portable long range shooting bench in between 50-60hr work weeks on the railroad 30yrs in 6more till I can retire. Thanks for your time any info would be greatly appreciated!