• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lilja barreled AR308 , need some help

koodbe

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
SoCal
I am starting to reload for my AR308 and I am trying to determine a starting point for this gun.Im using a Lilja 1-11 twist 24" barrel with 3 land/groove rifling. Can someone give me a starting point for bullets for both 400yard and out to approx 900 yard ranges. Current apps are for paper at this time. I have acquired both 168AMAX and 175BTHP as this thing doesnt seem to care for the FGMM factory rounds.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Re: Lilja barreled AR308 , need some help

In my M14 I use 41.5 H4895 W/ 175SMK in LC Brass.
Have also had good luck with 43.2 RL-15 W/175SMK in LC Brass.

Regards,Mike

Koodbe,

I have two DPMS rifles, one with a factory barrel, other with a Bartlein barrel.

My accuracy nodes are:

175SMK/178AMAX/180SST
LC or Win brass
45.5gr BLC(2)
43.5gr Varget
47.5gr 2000MR powder
49.3gr 2000MR powder (STOUT!!! work up to this)
CCI or WLR primers

Thanx for the response Mike, you are saying that the 175SMK does perform in the 3 land barrels.Is it worth using the Federal brass that I have or better to go to my new Lapua stock?

Tx Flyboy
Im going to start the process tomorrow, I have some Varget,H4895,and RL15. Getting rain here for Saturday so its a good day to load up...

Hi Mark
I have a 3 groove Lilja on my palma rifle at it hammers with the 155's.

The 175 SMK should shoot very well for you .
You Federal Brass Should be ok.Just keep ant eye for loose primer pockets.
But Lapua Brass is hard to beat.

Regards,Mike

Mike,
Appreciate your help here,I noticed on my last outing that the 168FGMM rounds showed some cratered primers, not too bad but some 147gr Win FMJ cratered big time, didnt want to go into the shell holder for decap! What the hell is going on.....

Fed brass is once fired in this rifle,Lapua is new unfired, think Ill save it till Im more capable...

Mark

Gas Guns are tough on brass.You Win Brass may have been a little soft and your AR distorted the case head when it was extracting it.

Try to find some Lake City Brass .It will hold up in a gas gun.

Regards,Mike

Mike,
Thanx again for your help, Ill go search out some LC for the near future

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koodbe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> as this thing doesnt seem to care for the FGMM factory rounds.
Mark </div></div>

Thats a flag for me.....168's or the 175's?

Criver
They both seem to be very over gassed for the rifle, I have since changed to an adjustable gas block and heavy buffer and spring. Groups are still 1moa @100yds.Seated the 168's .014" deeper to give me .020" jump and that is when the cratering of the primer started.Learning a lot about this new rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koodbe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> as this thing doesnt seem to care for the FGMM factory rounds.
Mark </div></div>

Thats a flag for me.....168's or the 175's? </div></div>

Man I'm glad I found this thread. I just shot my Lilja barreled AR308 this afternoon and it did not shoot well with FGMM 168gr..........1.25" to 1.5" groups at 100 yds. I too am using an adjustable gas block, but with a suppressor.

koodbe, do you think your Lilja would shoot better with M118LR? Please let us know what you find out.