• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Limbsaver Pad - molding

Dsparil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2006
Albrightsville, PA
got a new manners stock with limbsaver pad but the edges of it are way too sharp and uncomfortable. What would you recommend in grinding down and shaping the area? just sandpaper? what grit? brand?

thanks

Re: Limbsaver Pad - molding

Get some 80, 150 and 220 grit emery cloth, you will need to use this on a sanding block.

Freeze the pad overnight in a deep freeze.

Tape off the stock so you don't scratch it.

Lube the pad and sandpaper with WD-40, keep it wet.

Get it to the shape you want with the 80 grit, then the 150, and finish it off with the 220.

Keep everything symmetrical.

You might need to throw it back in the freezer for a few hours if you're slow, to put the final slick on it.

You're done!

If you know someone that lives close that has a chest type freezer it gets easier. Depending on how full the freezer is, you can do it in a side by side refridgerator / freezer. Just stand it up inside and close the door gently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">errr thanks. the pad is actually already attached to the stock. </div></div>

Take the pad off..

I didn't know about the freezer trick but I did mine on a belt sander, worked perfectly and looks OEM.

I don't know if Manners glues his pads on or not, some do, some don't.

There will be two screws that attach the pad, you may have to push or pull around on the back of the pad to find the holes.

Use a #1 Phillips screwdriver and lube it with oil to slide it in and unscrew the 2 screws.

If the pad comes off, it is not glued.

If it don't, then you can still do what I said above without freezing it, it just may not turn out quite as slick.