• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Limbsaver Recoil Pad install

pshell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2007
WA, USA
Finally got around to starting the install on my grind to fit recoil pad. This is going onto a HS 700P stock. Thought I would post to show how easy this really is. You just need to take your time and try to remember that you can't put the material back once you grind it off. To the pictures.

Remove the existing recoil pad. I sawed mine off, as my freezer has food in it. There is no room for a rifle stock.

DSCN0303.jpg

Once I go the pad off, I didn't have a flat surface so I hit it with my belt sander until it was close after I taped the stock to prevent chipping.

DSCN0305.jpg

Taped the template on and centered it by eye, so it was less than perfect. Than I center punched the indicated areas for my wood screws. The HS stock was lacking in material in this area. The stock was not really thick enough for the screws to work. I will be epoxying this pad on, just using the screws to hold the pad in place until cured.

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

I removed the template and attached the pad for scribing. This is a medium size pad and there was more excess than I had been led to believe would be present.
DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0310.jpg

DSCN0311.jpg

I know there is a nice jig for this operation when you use a bench mounted belt sander, but I had a cheap B&D belt sander so I just put the pad in my vice to start and used 40 grit paper. The pad will expand quite a bit so I had to apply light pressure with the vice. While grinding the instructions recommend that you use wd-40 to lube the belt and pad. I would recommend you follow the directions! I left the area and when I returned the wd-40 had dried up. I started grinding and it went much faster than before. I guess that should be obvious. Anyway, I went right down to my scribe mark so all is not lost. You can see it in the picture below.
DSCN0312.jpg

I decided that I could control this operation better if I clamped the belt sander in the vise and held the recoil pad. I also switched to 120 grit paper as I was within 1/16 of an inch and I was trying to follow the directions.

DSCN0314.jpg

Follow the directions in regards to switching out grits 1/16 or more away from your line as it takes a bit to get the roughness out of the pad. It will not look as it did when you started when you are done with the finer grit.

DSCN0315.jpg

The recoil pad is almost done in the above picture. I took a little more off the heel for good measure. Right now I'm trying to be patient and the pad is in my freezer so I can buff it with some scotchbright before gluing it onto my stock.

Overall, this was pretty easy. You just have to go slow and check your work often. I've never done this before and I'm not claiming this is the right way to do it. I just wanted to put this out there so you would know what you are getting into when you purchase one of these. Suggestions/comments or whatever is welcome and much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Re: Limbsaver Recoil Pad install

You can still use screws. Select a 1/2 dowel, and cut off to 2" lengths. Where your centerpunch marks are, drill 1/2" boreholes and epoxy the lengths of dowel flush with the mating surface. Drill them to the minor diameter of the screw thread, and Voila, you're GTG!

Other materials, like plastic (plexiglas rod), can be substitited for the wooden dowel. If they strip, they can be drilled out and replaced with more dowel/rod.

Greg

I have ground allot of recoil pads, but for me, I like to leave the largest Limbsaver un ground. The reveal can be covered with a cheek pad from Eagle Industries.
53_Large.jpg

I like to use lead shot instead of BB's because if later a cheek piece is added lead is alot easier to drill thru, the extra wieght combined with the LimbSaver really balances out a PSS, makes it a cream puff to shoot, nice how to.

I have a 338WM BAR with a full sized Limbsaver left un ground.
I don't even notice the recoil with 250 gr bullets.

Meanwhile, my heavier rifle.. 257RAI with 115 gr bullets and hard square butt, actually hurts to shoot.

This is something I plan on doing in a few weeks. Do you guys know which limbsaver will match without any grinding? Do the limbsavers use screws, or epoxy?

A 700p stock. I plan on getting one of midway. Now that I think about it, I think I'll be going with a Pachmayr, so if you got any data for that, too, I appreciate it.

Bringing this to the top. Looking for the pad that needs little to grinding to fit also. I should be putting this together this weekend if I can get the pad. Thanks for the anticipated help.

Please feel free to msg me also. I appreciate the op posting pics. Makes me think I can tackle this job. Thanks again.