• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Limited distance load development.

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Hey guys I just made the switch from RL-15 to Varget. I was never overly satisfied with my developed load when I used RL-15, so I'm looking to start over and see what I can do. I only have 300 yds to work with, just curious as to what methods you gents use to develop loads.

My prior method was to load 5 rounds in .5 grain increments, from manufacturer minimum, up to where I saw pressure signs. This left me with 6 batches of 5 rounds. I then put up a target with 6 dots on it, and shot one bullet from each batch at each different target. 1 bullet from batch 1, at target 1...1 from batch 2 at target 2...1 from batch 3 at target 3....so on and so forth. Until I had shot 6 groups of 5.

Next I chose the two best groups, and loaded .1 grain increments between my two best .5 grain groups. Almost all the groups shot the same, leaving me at about a minute of angle at best. Not good enough for me, I can shoot black hills, or even FGMM in easily 1/4 minute tighter groups than those hand loads. So, needless to say, 1.) I'm either loading shit rounds 2.)need to try new components 3.)or am developing loads incorrectly.

What methods you recommend I try with only 300 yds to shoot.?

Btw I load 175 gr SMK, Lapua Brass, And federal match primers.

Re: Limited distance load development.

I am in the same boat, but with only 200yds around me. By some on here, 300yds is a good place to start with a ladder test. I am limited to OCW tests and working around those.

As far as not getting good groups with RL-15, its possible. Different rifles like different combinations. Try the same method with Varget and see what you get.

Re: Limited distance load development.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duffy1298</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I just made the switch from RL-15 to Varget. I was never overly satisfied with my developed load when I used RL-15, so I'm looking to start over and see what I can do. I only have 300 yds to work with, just curious as to what methods you gents use to develop loads.

My prior method was to load 5 rounds in .5 grain increments, from manufacturer minimum, up to where I saw pressure signs. This left me with 6 batches of 5 rounds. I then put up a target with 6 dots on it, and shot one bullet from each batch at each different target. 1 bullet from batch 1, at target 1...1 from batch 2 at target 2...1 from batch 3 at target 3....so on and so forth. Until I had shot 6 groups of 5.

Next I chose the two best groups, and loaded .1 grain increments between my two best .5 grain groups. Almost all the groups shot the same, leaving me at about a minute of angle at best. Not good enough for me, I can shoot black hills, or even FGMM in easily 1/4 minute tighter groups than those hand loads. So, needless to say, 1.) I'm either loading shit rounds 2.)need to try new components 3.)or am developing loads incorrectly.

What methods you recommend I try with only 300 yds to shoot.?

Btw I load 175 gr SMK, Lapua Brass, And federal match primers. </div></div>

Do an OCW, by the book... And then tighten the groups by adjusting seating depth.

Or maybe you can even use your current results however analyze it in the OCW method. Then pick the correct node and adjust the seating depth.