• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Linear Comp or Brake

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I have an AR-10 in .260Rem with a silencer that I have been using in local PRS matches. However, despite working with the SLR adjustable gas block and the weight of the buffer assembly, I have been unable to fix the ejection problem; sometimes it works and sometimes, usually in a match, it doesn't.

So for the coming season, I plan to switch to either a linear comp or a standard brake. I would prefer to avoid blasting the other shooters, either at a match or on the range.

My understanding is that a linear comp is as loud as a brake and does not really work well as a brake, but it at least avoids the side blast. Is this correct, and do all of them work equally well?

If this is not correct, I'll go with a brake, not that the .260Rem recoil is bad.

Thank you, Richard

A brake is always the right answer for matches. You can also add a xh buffer from heavybuffers.com to help tame it down if it's over gassed

If you're talking PRS, you aren't going to offend anyone by running a brake. Everyone around you will be, and you want max performance in my opinion.

Correct, get a good brake and don't look back

Consider getting a brake that isn't directed back at the shooter. Might not make much of a difference for a gas gun, but on a bolt gun at least brakes like the ACE brake or the 419 maverick design are nice. They don't necessarily offer the best recoil reduction but they don't send near as much concussion back at you so you end up being able to see more downrange. As a bonus, they clean much easier than a lot of others.

Strike Without Warning is putting out their Chad model soon, if you can stomach a $500+ price tag, the hype sure looks appealing