• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Lines for Cops

ewoaf

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2009
    Albemarle VA
    beaurobbins.com
    These are actual comments made by 16 Police Officers. The comments were taken off actual police car videos around the country:

1. "You know, stop lights don't come any redder than the one you just went through."

2. "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while."

3. "If you take your hands off the car, I'll make your birth certificate a worthless document."

4. "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

5. "Can you run faster than 1200 feet per second? Because that's the speed of the bullet that'll be chasing you."

6. "You don't know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?" (MY FAVORITE)

7. "Yes, sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don't think it will help. Oh, did I mention that I'm the shift supervisor?"

8. "Warning! You want a warning? O.K, I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket."

9. "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

10. "Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy and corn dogs and step in monkey poop."

11. "Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven."

12. "In God we trust; all others we run through NCIC." ( National Crime Information Center )

13. "Just how big were those 'two beers' you say you had?"

14. "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we can."

15. "I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail."

AND THE WINNER IS....

16. "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't.. Sign here."

Re: Lines for Cops

My favorite from a cop friend of mine is "Push hard, there's five copies".

6. "You don't know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?"

My understanding is that if the cop doesn't know how fast you were going he cant give you a ticket for speeding, And if the cop insists on giving some other ticket anyway, Get name & badge number and file a complaint and if the complaint is written by and on a lawyers letterhead it seems to have more effect. Ok rant over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 6. "You don't know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?"

My understanding is that if the cop doesn't know how fast you were going he cant give you a ticket for speeding, And if the cop insists on giving some other ticket anyway, Get name & badge number and file a complaint and if the complaint is written by and on a lawyers letterhead it seems to have more effect. Ok rant over. </div></div>

#6 is implying that the driver wasn't paying attention to their speed. If they had they might not have gotten pulled over. If they know they were speeding then that's just as bad. It's also bad when a speeder feigns ignorance to try and get out of a ticket.

I've owned up to each and everytime I got caught speeding and ususaly was in the process of pulling over by the time they catch up. Funny part is I got off more often then not.

My personal favorites

5. Yes you do pay my salary, don't you want me to do my job?

4. I do know who you are, its on your license!

3. We are a full service Department.

2. Actually there isn't anything better I can be doing!

My personal favorite

1. Really your an attorney, then you should have known the law!

And my all time favorite

What was it I couldn't do again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 6. "You don't know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?"

My understanding is that if the cop doesn't know how fast you were going he cant give you a ticket for speeding, And if the cop insists on giving some other ticket anyway, Get name & badge number and file a complaint and if the complaint is written by and on a lawyers letterhead it seems to have more effect. Ok rant over. </div></div>

Good news for cops, your understanding is wrong. I can give tickets for speeding all day long in Oregon without knowing how fast you're going. It's called VBR, Violation of the Basic Rule. I don't have to specify you were going 55 in a 20 MPH school zone. If I can tell based on my training and experience that you were driving too damn fast, I can give you a ticket for driving too damn fast. That's the down side of claiming to know the law, they're different everywhere you go.

When a cop asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?", I like to answer with, "Officer, are you telling me that you you don't know how fast I was going?"

This can be used later in court as proof that the officer was uncertain as to how fast I was going, to the point that he was asking me to help him out with it.
    smirk.gif

On saturday I had a police officer do exactly that.

When he pulled me over (in my parking lot by my apartment and he said "you were going too fast" So I asked how fast I was going. "Almost 80" (It's a 45mph road and I was in traffic).

He didn't think I had a motorcycle license and told me that they were pulling over motorcyclists to check for proper paperwork (sounds like profiling doesn't it?)

Then when he comes back with a ticket he said "You were going 84"

Then I read the ticket. "Def. was traveling at a high rate of speed" (No note of any speed listed on the ticket ANYWHERE)

Equipment used: None.

I live about 1/4 mile into Road 2 and I turned from 1 onto 2

So according to him, I going 84, in traffic and making a RH turn and he could tell this because he was eyeballing it?

Here's some things he never asked for:

1) Insurance
    2) Registration
    3) Inspection
    4) Possession of weapons?

All of it, he said/did while standing about 10 feet in front of his cruiser with the lights running. I just dropped the "Not Guilty" plea off in the mail.

For the record, I was going 35mph when I passed him because I was slowing down from 45 to make the RH turn. He probably heard the engine rev from the downshift into 1st gear and made an assumption based solely on that.

When I get a driver doing mach2 and when stopped they make me feel like I'm inconveniencing them. When they ask "will this take long" I usually reply: "I'll write as fast as I can."

My best encounter was when a cruiser in oncoming traffic 'lit up' and crossed over to park "nose-to-nose" with my car.

We each get out, and I meet him at the front bumpers, where he then asks:

"Do you have any idea as to why I just pulled you over?"

My reply was:

"Well, I'm guessing that by going sideways through that last intersection probably has SOMETHING to do with it."

To which he said, "you're right, it does.... how about you tell me about that,,,,"

In the end, I got a ticket for "not wearing a seatbelt". This was about 18 years ago. The thing about it, is even though it was a heck of a story, it was all true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My best encounter was when a cruiser in oncoming traffic 'lit up' and crossed over to park "nose-to-nose" with my car.

"Do you have any idea as to why I just pulled you over?"

My reply was:

"Well, I'm guessing that by going sideways through that last intersection probably has SOMETHING to do with it."

To which he said, "you're right, it does.... how about you tell me about that,,,,"

In the end, I got a ticket for "not wearing a seatbelt". This was about 18 years ago. The thing about it, is even though it was a heck of a story, it was all true. </div></div>

Don't we need the rest of the story because I am confused as to what happened....

I have a few good buddies that are all local cops here in Lexington. I did a ride along with one of them last summer and it was a blast. We pulled people over, answered domestic disputes, broke up a HUGE bar fight, took drunk college kids to jail. Anyways nearing the end of his shift we are sitting on a side road downtown watching a popular road for speeders and drunkards. I was about 1 second into my coffee when a small black BMW goes flying by. My buddy floors his cruiser and coffee goes all over my face and shirt. As I am cussing him, we get this guy pulled over. He was so drunk he didnt know what city he was in, he was going 86 in a 35 and was hitting the young lady in his front seat. She got out crying and he got out yelling. Me and my buddy didnt take to kindly to that treatment and he was cuffed. We then found out he was from Russia, here on vacation and didn't want us to steal his money when he was searched. My buddy said "Sir, If I needed your money I would just impound and sell your vehicle since it was used in a speeding incident of 51 mph over the limit." The russian guy says "but, if I dont get this on camera someone can steal my money" officer says " The LMPD does not issue vehicle cameras to us, but Im sure one of the 15 people standing here with a cell phone videoing you pissing your pants could provide video evidence"!!!!!

I was struggling not to laugh the whole time.

As a driver, when asked here in AZ if I know how fast I was going I usually reply "within the envelope of reasonable and prudent, considering the condition of the road, traffic, weather, my vehicle and myself". I do so as part of being honest and respectful, not as a smartass.

If you can't tell by my screen name, there was a time that I didn't understand the value of courtesy and respect for LE officers. Encounters with peace officers then usually wasn't so peaceful
    wink.gif

Its AMAZING how much nicer cops got since I quit drinking!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When a cop asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?", I like to answer with, "Officer, are you telling me that you you don't know how fast I was going?"

This can be used later in court as proof that the officer was uncertain as to how fast I was going, to the point that he was asking me to help him out with it.
    smirk.gif
    </div></div>

Tucker most will answer with one or two over the limit (ie I was like 57 in a 55) trying to be "just a bit guilty" opposed to bout 65 (in a 55)thinking the officer might be lenient. When a driver admits that they are going even one mile over the posted limit by admitting this, they are guilty and it can be proven in court when the officer provides a statement that the driver admitted to speeding. It is the officers then discretion to exercise that admittance into forgiveness and let them go or write the citation.

Now this is about the billionth time this has been posted on this site and it is always funny but if this is going to turn into another cop bashing thread then just go ahead a lock the damn thing down before buttholes get puckered and people start contracting weaping cunt syndrome.

Now I will not say that I am guilty of any of the above mentioned phrases on a stop or not but clearly some are just down right funny

I have never asked, or heard asked "do you know how fast you were going". I have a lidar/radar, I know how fast they were going, why would I have to ask?

It usually goes something like "The reason we stopped you is because you were doing xx mph in a xx mph zone".
    Sometimes followed by "Is there any reason for the speed?" Which is usually followed by a "no/late for work/thought it was a xx mph zone/etc".

Plenty of warnings are given, and they are never to people that call you a liar or when we see a radar detector in the windshield. Normally the polite people who take responsibility for their actions.

but back to the original topic...Damn those are funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a driver, when asked here in AZ if I know how fast I was going I usually reply "within the envelope of reasonable and prudent, considering the condition of the road, traffic, weather, my vehicle and myself".</div></div>

In Texas that statement usually means you are a member of a group called 'Constitutionalists'. Which usually means you also wont have a driver's license, registration or inspection. And you might identify yourself with a passport issued by the Sovereign State of Texas.

This usually results in a handful of tickets or an arrest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When a cop asks, "Do you know how fast you were going?", I like to answer with, "Officer, are you telling me that you you don't know how fast I was going?"

smirk.gif
    </div></div>

I am not uncertain when I ask that question. I am asking if YOU were aware of the speed you were traveling. An honest answer may get you a warning, any BS is proof that you were not paying attention to your speed and could result in a careless or reckless driving citation instead of or in addition to the speeding ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    sNQ9i.jpg
    </div></div>

That is so perfect. I should put that on a card to show to people. Some people just don't understand that one a-hole does not = everyone in that group being an a-hole.

Yes Tucker, good job indeed.

And, seeing as the OP started this thread off, and titled it "Lines for Cops", that is why I posted:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My best encounter was when a cruiser in oncoming traffic 'lit up' and crossed over to park "nose-to-nose" with my car.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Do you have <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> idea as to why I just pulled you over?"</span>
    </span>
    My reply was:
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">"Well, I'm guessing that by going sideways through that last intersection probably has SOMETHING to do with it."</span></span>

In the end, I got a ticket for "not wearing a seatbelt". This was about 18 years ago. The thing about it, is even though it was a heck of a story, it was all true. </div></div>

Don't we need the rest of the story because I am confused as to what happened....</div></div>

That better? Seriously, how many individuals REALLY get to actually tell that to an officer who's pulled you over? And be telling the truth?

Treat people how you want to be treated and usually all is peacefull. Throw in some jerk comments or try to lawyer up what you are saying and you get what you get. Ofcourse you could also be reasonable with your speeding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a driver, when asked here in AZ if I know how fast I was going I usually reply "within the envelope of reasonable and prudent, considering the condition of the road, traffic, weather, my vehicle and myself".</div></div>

In Texas that statement usually means you are a member of a group called 'Constitutionalists'. Which usually means you also wont have a driver's license, registration or inspection. And you might identify yourself with a passport issued by the Sovereign State of Texas.

This usually results in a handful of tickets or an arrest. </div></div>

Ouch!! I don't say it because I am questioning the officer's authority or juristdiction.
    Here its just because the Arizona Revised Statute that most officers cite speeders with is (paraphrasing) "operating a motor vehicle above a speed that is reasonable and prudent", not going above the posted limit. I also tell the jusdge the same if I infact get ticketed, because the criteria for reasonable and prudent are based on vehicle, weather, traffic, visibility, raod and driver condition.
    Knock on wood, the past 8 or so times I have been pulled over I have not been cited, and I guarantee its from being respectful and honest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    sNQ9i.jpg
    </div></div>

That is so perfect. I should put that on a card to show to people. Some people just don't understand that one a-hole does not = everyone in that group being an a-hole. </div></div>

I don't think anyone is implying that all cops are A-holes, but there is a disturbing amount in the group don't ya think? What can I say I expect more professionalism than I have seen. Am I crazy or do some people expect immediate respect simply because they are a LEO, Sorry I won’t get down on my knees and thank you for the wonderful and heroic job your doing if you an A-hole. I have gotten 3 tickets in my life all of which I deserved, and one of which I filed a complaint for the way this guy acted. Sorry I respect what you do but I don't respect you, and as long as A-holes are tolerated in the LEO community you won’t get that automatic respect from me. But I will be civil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuck Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 6. "You don't know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?"

Good news for cops, your understanding is wrong. I can give tickets for speeding all day long in Oregon without knowing how fast you're going. It's called VBR, Violation of the Basic Rule. I don't have to specify you were going 55 in a 20 MPH school zone. If I can tell based on my training and experience that you were driving too damn fast, I can give you a ticket for driving too damn fast. That's the down side of claiming to know the law, they're different everywhere you go. </div></div>

Well then I guess I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't think anyone is implying that all cops are A-holes, but there is a disturbing amount in the group don't ya think? What can I say I expect more professionalism than I have seen. Am I crazy or do some people expect immediate respect simply because they are a LEO, Sorry I won&#146;t get down on my knees and thank you for the wonderful and heroic job your doing if you an A-hole. I have gotten 3 tickets in my life all of which I deserved, and one of which I filed a complaint for the way this guy acted. Sorry I respect what you do but I don't respect you, and as long as A-holes are tolerated in the LEO community you won&#146;t get that automatic respect from me. But I will be civil.</div></div>

I've heard this argument before and I have to laugh at it. "Most of my interactions with cops have been OK, but one was an asshole. Therefore I won't automatically respect all cops". However with cops, most of their interactions with folks are less than respectful, yet we're expected to automatically respect everyone. No heres the fun part, 95% do. The majority of officers I've had the privledge to work with in the last 16 years have been pretty darn respectful, until they're forced to not be. I still get a kick out of seeing guys in a fight yelling "stop resisting sir!". Yes there are a handful of smug arrogant little pricks out there that should be wearing a badge. Your odds of running into one are pretty damn low. A lot lower than the odds of a police officer running into a smug arrogant little disrespectful prick, either on a traffic stop, DV, or any other call. Cops are held to a higher standard. Most know it, most deal with it. The ones who don't give the rest a bad name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuck Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't think anyone is implying that all cops are A-holes, but there is a disturbing amount in the group don't ya think? What can I say I expect more professionalism than I have seen. Am I crazy or do some people expect immediate respect simply because they are a LEO, Sorry I won&#146;t get down on my knees and thank you for the wonderful and heroic job your doing if you an A-hole. I have gotten 3 tickets in my life all of which I deserved, and one of which I filed a complaint for the way this guy acted. Sorry I respect what you do but I don't respect you, and as long as A-holes are tolerated in the LEO community you won&#146;t get that automatic respect from me. But I will be civil.</div></div>

I've heard this argument before and I have to laugh at it. "Most of my interactions with cops have been OK, but one was an asshole. Therefore I won't automatically respect all cops". However with cops, most of their interactions with folks are less than respectful, yet we're expected to automatically respect everyone. No heres the fun part, 95% do. The majority of officers I've had the privledge to work with in the last 16 years have been pretty darn respectful, until they're forced to not be. I still get a kick out of seeing guys in a fight yelling "stop resisting sir!". Yes there are a handful of smug arrogant little pricks out there that should be wearing a badge. Your odds of running into one are pretty damn low. A lot lower than the odds of a police officer running into a smug arrogant little disrespectful prick, either on a traffic stop, DV, or any other call. Cops are held to a higher standard. Most know it, most deal with it. The ones who don't give the rest a bad name. </div></div>

I agree completely with you. I've talked about this with a PASP friend and he's said the same thing as well. It's a 10% rule and just as it applies to the general population it applies to police, military, judges, etc etc.

Almost ALL of my interaction with police officers is positive, even when I've clearly done something wrong (rolled a stop sign, made an illegal Uturn, etc.) The 10% of the A-holes in the population probably make up 90%+ of your interaction with the public on a daily basis.

Once in a while (like the rare example of what happened with me on Saturday) supports the 10% rule. When I'm courteous and polite I expect the same and I'm rarely disappointed. Once in a while though you need to file a complaint, that's what the system is there for. Use it, but don't abuse it.

Last time I was stopped for speeding, I was 15 over and knew it. A empty 4 lane divided on a very early Sunday morning. Me in a traveling bill board (aka) Service truck, going home from Saturday night storms, and I was beat.

Any who he walks up beside the truck an asks, did you not see me? No officer I did not, and I'd like to have that cloaking device you were using. What, he ask, the cloaking device you were using because I know I was 15 over, cause that's were I had the cruise set. He then asks if I had anything he should worry about, yep a truck full.

Where you going, home I said, where you been, working to restore power, do to the storms.
    You travel much, yep about 60-70K a year, getting back to that cloaking device, where'ed you get your's or was it State issued. Laughing he said slow it down, and have a good morning,...

Tucker---- ain't that the truth but I think they are in every profession but that is an honest assessment. Of coarse I have been told if ya want people to like you..then be a fireman...I mean look at JROSE..sure he's the exception but I mean everybody loves a fireman....hell they even love each other!

My buddy made a trooper laugh so hard the other night the cop just walked away

Trooper: Sir the reason I stopped you tonight is I clocked you at 85 in a 65. Any reason?

My buddy: (straight faced and very dry sense of humor much like a lot of coroners) flow of traffic (it was 11:30 at night and there wasn't a car for 15 miles) Troop just starts cackling and walks back to his car and shuts the lights off and waves to him.

I've gotten pulled over for speeding twice in my 15 years of driving, both times the officers were professional, imo. I was honest about my speeding and took my ticket like a man as both times I was speeding. One of them I knew I was speeding and was in a hurry, the other I thought I was through the towns 35mph zone and back out on the 55mph zone a little prematurely. I went to traffic court and the first one the judge saw my driving record was clean and let me off with taking driving class, I was a teenager at the time and that kept the ticket off my record. The second time the cop was at traffic court, the judge complimented my driving record after having just thrown the book at some woman who had like 6 tickets in 2 years, then he asked the cop how the stop went. The cop pulled out his notebook and said the stop was uneventful and then commented that I was very polite during the stop. So, the judge let me off with court costs. It pays to be polite when you are pulled over, regardless of whether or not you were speeding, you can plead your case in front of a judge.

On another note, one thing that struck me as odd is that during the first stop I was doing about 70 in a 55. The cop pulled two of us over at the same time and actually had to chase the mustang that was behind me. I pulled over and he told me to wait right there and he'd be back. When he got back from writing them a ticket, he said "I'm sure glad you didn't take off, I didn't get your tag number". Well after proving that the duck call in my cup holder wasn't a pot smoking device, he wrote me a ticket for going 60 in a 55 to "help me out". That just seams kinda odd to me that he would falsify the speed on a ticket rather than just write a warning or write a ticket for the actual speed, if he did in fact clock me with radar. I really don't know that it would have done me any good in court either, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Is that part of officer discretion to lower the radar speed for people who you catch speeding but are polite during the stop?

We lower the speed on the ticket on the majority of them if the person is polite. It's not falsifying, it's more or a courtesy to lower the fine for you. If someone was doing 74 in a 60, we may just write 70+, which drops the fine down.

I was just curious as it struck me kinda strange that the officer was writing the ticket for lower than he told me the radar showed. I'm not going to complain about it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It pays to be polite when you are pulled over, regardless of whether or not you were speeding, you can plead your case in front of a judge.
    </div></div>

Agreed. Right or wrong most if not all of the advantage is with the Cop, er LEO. He has the gun, the ticket book, a radio, he can keep you by the side of the road as long as he likes. Be polite, offer nothing except direct answers to pointed and direct questions.Then be on your way. It helps if you know the law and haven't broken it.

It always helps if the Cop has a bit of a sense of humor as a $50.00 ticket can put you in a bad mood.I haven't had a ticket, or been pulled over in more than 20 years. In some jobs a single ticket can have ramifications.

As crazy as this idea may seem to some, don't speed. Amazingly enough, I haven't been pulled over since 2006 (knock on wood). I like cops, they keep the sierra bravos in check.

I haven't been pulled over in years, mostly because of my kids. I just don't have the need to excessively speed anymore. Sure I do 5 or 10 over on the highways when the rest of the traffic is doing the same, but not enough to get a moving violation here in Missouri.

Now when I was younger, dumber, and had some really fast cars, I never got pulled over....because I was stupid enough to not stop. I even once saved a 'buddy' from getting arrested by doing something really dumb to attract all the attention. I'm glad that I survived all that and learned from it.

I don't have fast cars anymore, just good wholesome family cars.

Branden

I personally think that its very useful for LEO to use some humor(when possible/applicable) in its interactions with the public.

Humor humanizes the interaction and in the right circumstance can defuse a confrontation or enraged person. Obviously some matters cannot be made light of, or defused by humor.