• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Linux Powered rifle!

Quinc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
California
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

300H-case-flat-640x389.jpg

Re: Linux Powered rifle!

WOW - thats too cool... I would say you have me at Linux, but it turns out you have me at $17,000 HAHA

Nice! ...but where is the pleasure of shooting?

That is real cool. But I'm pretty sure nobody here needs anything like that to hit a deer @ 200yds.

$ grep sendit | sort k1,1 K2,2 | trigger

That being said, of course it's Linux, most of these small gadgets are going to be Linux based. Advertising it as being Linux based is like saying a new consumer grade Dell PC comes with Windows, of course it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is real cool. But I'm pretty sure nobody here needs anything like that to hit a deer @ 200yds.</div></div>
And any of us need 1k, 2k, 3k 'tactical' scopes to hit a deer at 200 yards? haha I'm pretty sure I don't NEED a Nightforce on my prairie dog gun, but I like it!

If it could dope the wind (which I think we'll see in the near future) and I could afford it, I'd buy one. Why not, if it makes my shooting easier! After all, if we didn't want to make shots easier, we'd all still be using 3x9 Redfields with Duplexs. This thing, while in it's current state is...iffy...is paving the way for technology to come. Good for them!

That looks pretty bad ass for center of mass shots. The biggest question I have is does it have the option to "tag" a specific area on the target as opposed to center of mass? For instance with a deer, most would like to shoot the shoulder area as opposed to the midsection. It that an option with this system?

HACKS! You will never get that past Punk Buster!

*gammer joke

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That being said, of course it's Linux, most of these small gadgets are going to be Linux based.</div></div>

There are several other common embedded real-time operating systems (RTOS) used in consumer products:

Windows Embedded Compact (AKA Windows CE)
QNX
Symbian
Wind River VxWorks
Micrium uC II/III
OSEK

There is a fair amount of roll-your-own stuff going on as well, although that can get a bit hairy with the sophistication level of modern microcontrollers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Windows Embedded Compact (AKA Windows CE)
QNX
Symbian
Wind River VxWorks
Micrium uC II/III
OSEK

</div></div>

CE = $ & too cumbersome + it's GUI based
QNX = this scope isn't a car
Symbian = This scope isn't a phone
VxWorks = This scope isn't a game console
Micrium uC II/III = this scope isn't a rover.
OSEK = this scope isn't a car

I too could Google a ton of different OS' but OS' like the one's you mentioned are purpose built for specific applications. Linux, being open-source and having countless versions is going to be the go-to OS for a scope like the above, especially when you're in the expensive R&D stages like this scope is. That and most people who know more than a few languages will also now how to program in Linux. The proof is in the pudding, i.e. why they used Linux and not any of the ones you mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too could Google a ton of different OS'</div></div>

Settle down, dude - I wasn't trying to get into a dick measuring contest with you, and I'm not trying to challenge your perceived superiority of Linux.

I certainly know enough about this stuff to name a pretty damn long list without Googling them (seeing as how I make my living doing embedded system design). I've been involved with projects that use at least half the RTOS on that list or variations thereof, and they have much broader applications than you understand. Given the narrow-mindedness of your response, I think you would be very surprised at how a lot of modern embedded systems actually work. Such is life in the Age Of Abstraction(tm).

:Shaking head:

Of course an OS can be modified to work in virtually any device everyone understands that but you completely side-stepped my point. There's a reason they went with Linux and not one of the ones you mentioned and it's the same reason is why I said, "of course it's Linux".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a reason they went with Linux and not one of the ones you mentioned and it's the same reason is why I said, "of course it's Linux".</div></div>

Heh - "everyone". Before I concede the win to you, let me ask one question - how many embedded systems have you developed that utilize an RTOS, and on how many of those projects were you tasked with picking the RTOS? I'm sincerely looking to learn something, and you make the process seem so damn easy. For me, this has always been a tricky decision. Hopefully you can help me see the light.

You keep trying to side-step the point.

Remember, you're not the only one in this field and like I've said three times now, there's a reason why they went with Linux.

I'm not side-stepping any point. You claim that it's a given that a small embedded device runs on Linux; I'm saying that there are a lot of other choices and that folks are taking advantage of those choices. This is not the same thing as the WinTel cartel that you made reference to at an earlier point in the thread; Linux may enjoy that sort of market penetration at some future point as weaker or more expensive solutions fall by the wayside, but we're not at that point yet.

I'm sure there are a lot of other board members in the field of embedded system development. If you're one of them, say so. If you're not, stop trying to play me for a fool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not side-stepping any point. You claim that it's a given that a small embedded device runs on Linux; I'm saying that there are a lot of other choices and that folks are taking advantage of those choices. </div></div>

Let's just leave it as is and agree that Linux is a great choice for this type of device because it's open-source, maintainable, and "a lot" of people can program in a Linux environment. Are there better choices? Maybe, but for a company doing R&D where you're deep in the red, Linux is a pretty obvious choice for an OS. Maybe because I've been heavily in the R&D side of things for the last few decades I see things differently but I think you and I can at least agree that Linux is a pretty obvious OS for this scope.

Getting back on track with this thread - I think we're seeing the beginning of the end for traditional mechanical/optic systems. With an upper-end scope approaching $4k nowadays (and still not providing reliable performance, as witnessed in the Optics subforum), it won't be long before an electro-optical system provides better performance with a substantially increased feature set and better reliability for less money. Yeah, I know - this thing is currently $15k. Wasn't too long ago that digital cameras and flat-panel LCD TVs were only for the rich, and we know how that has played.

As far as those who talk about this system's ability to "make things too easy", I'm assuming that they are shooting smoothbore flintlocks - rifled repeaters with metallic cartridges, of course, take all of the challenge out of shooting. The history of firearms has been one of near-continuous innovation, and there is no reason that we should expect to see progress slowed just because of some lame idea of "tradition".