• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lipstick on a PIG! ****Updated 9/19****

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
Roughly 20 or so years ago, when my sickness of rifle shooting began, I purchased a slightly used Winchester model 70 heavy varmint rifle chambered in .22-250 Remington for approximately $450 from a local gun shop. The rifle was fantastic! It came with a Bell & Carlson black synthetic stock, hinged floor plate & heavy contour stainless steel barrel with a black action. I thought I hit the lottery since the rifle was almost brand new!

At the time, I just turned 18 & really didn't make much money since I was a full time college student & only worked worked part time in a pizzeria. Eventually I saved enough money to invest in a Harris bipod, a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44mm optic, some RCBS dies so I could load on my fathers press & enough reloading components to get started. I quickly learned the in's & out's of reloading through trial & error. Eventually, I got the load down & this rifle quickly began shooting EXTREMELY tight groups! I couldn't believe how accurate this off the shelf, discounted, throw back shot.. Over the next few years, I shot more ground hogs, coyotes, foxes & crows than I could count with this rifle.

As the years flew by & my ongoing desire to fill my safe with Gradous custom rifles took precedence, I glanced over at the old neglected Winchester .22-250 one afternoon as it hid in the back of the safe and thought it would be nice to upgrade this little shooter since I will never sell it because it was my first.

I ordered a McMillan A3 Sporter in McMillan camo, a PTG DBM, an ATLAS bipod, Jewel trigger, Leupold MKIV rings & base & sent the barreled action off to Robert Gradous for a Cerakote job in (my favorite color) flat dark earth..

As the months passed, I started receiving the components to really make this rifle shine.. As of yesterday, I had everything in my little shop to get this project underway, so I went to work.

I ran into a few problems which were quickly resolved with the mini mill & a grinder. If anyone is thinking of doing something similar to this with a Model 70, FYI, the area in the front of the trigger guard needs to be milled out if you are going to use a Jewell trigger. If you are considering using a PTG DBM, the bolt release needs to be cut down significantly in order for the bolt to retract far enough to pick up a round from the magazine.

McMillan didn't have a program for the inlet of the PTG DBM for Winchesters so I had to send the DBM to them. Since the bottom metal was with McMillan while my barreled action was in Gradous' shop getting Cerakoted, I decided I would attempt to Cerakote the small parts myself with Cerakote C series.

I learned that bedding a Winchester model 70 is a bit more entailed than bedding a Remington 700 style action, but it I was fortunate to have the guidance & pro tips from the big man down in Georgia and quickly finished the job.

Without further a due here are a few pics of the PIG wearing lipstick! (I wish I would have taken some before pics, but most of you know what a stock Win Heavy Varmint looks like)

Last edited:
Very nice Mr. Swagger, I too am the owner of a Winchester M 70 that I bought from a crane operator, more than 20 years ago. He had missed a mule deer with it at 80 yards while on a trip to Colorado, it is a 7 mm R/M, I bought it for 150 bucks at the time I wanted to build a 308 Norma so I thought be a good donor, he wanted to keep his Tasco 3x9 and weaver 22 rim fire mounts, I had no problem with that. Got it home and installed a set of Redfield mounts and Leopold scope and also I bought all the extra ammo he had for 20 bucks wound up being a bunch. sighted in and it would shoot factory Rem 150 core locks under 1" needless to say I still have it just as it is and it may be responsible for more meat than anything I own, which covers a lot. never had the heart to tear it apart. again nice work!!

Just like a moped, no body wants to be caught riding one but they sure are fun :)

That's reall nice though, turned out excellent.

Thank you for all the kind words guys! I found a pic of what it looked like when it was in its factory form. (Not my rifle, pic copied from google search). I have to say, I am very happy with the upgrade!!

Bob,
Good looking rifle. Do you mind me asking what vise is that you r using?

It is saying something about the quality of a guys collection when this rifle is the 'pig' of the bunch....another awesome rifle, Sir. Are you sure you will remember how to operate a caliber other than 6.5x47? :)

2yljmki.jpg

307rw36.jpg

I have almost the same rifle, but mine is the Winchester stock, which is NICE. I bout mine in the early 1990's. I doubt I have more than 200 rounds down the barrel. I LOVE it, but I never shoot it. It is a safe queen. I was toying with selling it, with the scope. Maybe I'll put some lipstick on mine too. Oh yeah, accurate as hell. Very flat shooting and incredibly accurate. Thanks for the ideas.

I'm not much on "brown" guns, but yours came out well. I'm a sucker for most anything 22-250. I was introduced to this round pretty recently. I always heard of it, but had no experience until a shooting friend of mine picked one up on trade. I was immediately enamored. Shortly there after I built up a semi-custom one trued 700. One of my most prized rifles. Little round it just devastating. My "go to" yote gun.

So how may rounds are down that barrel? You've seemingly had it for some time. Just curious as to how long they "really" last. I've heard a where from 1500 to 3000 rounds.

I'll be doing the same with my M70 HBV. I bought it used off of a guy here on the hide back in 05, and she will get some custom work done at some point. I've owned a lot of rifles since then, but still love her, the winnys really are great rifles.

What kind of mini mill is that? Does it see a lot of use? Would you mind sharing a few of your favorite projects with it? I'm building a woodshop now and am considering a mill/drill vs drill press and during my research I ran into the crazy mini mill mob and all their mods such as CNC.

Bob great looking work there! My dad bought me my first Rifle when I was 13, a Rem 700 BDL in 270, regrettably I sold it 15 years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Looks like the Cerakote C FDE, matched up great with Roberts Cerakote H FDE. How does it look in person?

As always sir, appreciate the posts regarding your builds/jobs. The rifle turned out great. Keep us posted on the performance.

Bob, your rifle looks great, and your training with Robert shows. I too have the same rifle, only mine is in 308. I could not believe the accuracy of mine with match ammo. Not that I love the way it looks in factory trim, but I haven't brought myself to making it look like yours. I mostly have it for collection purposes at this time, but after looking at yours I may take the plunge next year. I honestly hate the way it feels in my hands with the factory stock, and that's the main reason it just sits. Thanks for sharing.

That is totally awesome!!

I too have a Winchester sitting in my safe and have been wondering what to do with it. I picked it up under similar circumstances as you did. Found it slightly used in a gun store about 15 to 20 years ago for $400, and I too thought that I had struck the lottery. It's a Winchester Stealth in .308 and basically looks identical to yours, except it has a blackend barrel. It's a great shooter too.

I think you may have inspired me to start working on it and "put lipstick on it" :D

Thanks for sharing!

2yljmki.jpg

307rw36.jpg

I have almost the same rifle, but mine is the Winchester stock, which is NICE. I bout mine in the early 1990's. I doubt I have more than 200 rounds down the barrel. I LOVE it, but I never shoot it. It is a safe queen. I was toying with selling it, with the scope. Maybe I'll put some lipstick on mine too. Oh yeah, accurate as hell. Very flat shooting and incredibly accurate. Thanks for the ideas.

I think I have your rifle's brother, in .243...

This thread has me thinking it might be time for another project(if only it didn't shot so well)...

Thank you again gentlemen.. Just to answer a few questions:

The mill is a Harbor Freight Mini-mill. They go for about $450ish, I'm a real novice when it comes to operating it, kinda brings me back to my childhood working with an etch a sketch. I purchased it just for milling out bedding jobs & trimming small parts. Overall it does exactly what I want & sort of adds that professional look to the job.

I'm not certain as to the round count, since I mostly used it for shooting varmints & critters. Back then, I really didn't keep record of how many rounds I was shooting since I was just a kid & was happy to make holes in stuff. :) I can attest that there couldn't have been more than 50 rounds through it when I purchased it though.

As far as the color match on the Cerakote H & C, I can't see a difference. I took a picture while at the range where you can see the action & bottom metal up close.. Let me know what you think.

Ozzy, thank you very much for the compliment.. It really means alot coming from a man of your skill level!!

Last night, I set everything up to get loading but a movie that I've been waiting to see was on HBO so I left the shop & fell asleep 15 minutes into the movie. However, this morning, I wound up loading a few different charges with new Lapua brass, H-380, Sierra 52gr. HPBT & Fed 210M's... Here's some pics from the range trip:

Last edited:
Hey bob, Iv got some newbie questions. I have been following your post lately and your love for Robert gradious, w that being said your 3 shot groups you have posted from both your gradious builds and your factory tube are pretty well identical, considering there has not been a whole lot of shooting. In your opinion , and based on your findings what constitutes a several thousand dollar difference in price of rifles? Just courious, and thanks for the input!
Lazer

Hey bob, Iv got some newbie questions. I have been following your post lately and your love for Robert gradious, w that being said your 3 shot groups you have posted from both your gradious builds and your factory tube are pretty well identical, considering there has not been a whole lot of shooting. In your opinion , and based on your findings what constitutes a several thousand dollar difference in price of rifles? Just courious, and thanks for the input!
Lazer

Great question.. I have to say, this rifle is probably one in a hundred.. I got lucky.. Although, it sure does copper foul SUBSTANTIALLY! I have Boretech eliminator soaking in the bore as I respond to this post & it is proving blue patches one after another, patch after patch. I have to say, none of my Gradous rifles foul in this manner due to the hand lapped premium barrels. Also, every one of my Gradous rifles shoot these groups or better... There is no luck to it, they are all solid shooters. The way I see it, you can spend a life time trying to find that one .2" or less factory rifle or you can spend a few $'s and have one. Either way, your going to spend something to get what you want...

I think Bob is on to something. That A3 sporter may be one of the best do-it-all stocks around. Your self taught workmanship and shooting skills are fantastic. Keep it up! I'll trade that rifle for a breath mint!

Awesome rifle, can't say enough about the cartridge also. We use 22-250 for jackal hunting at night here in South Africa and it smacks the hell out of them. Especially the 55 grn Hornady varmint express.

Great question.. I have to say, this rifle is probably one in a hundred.. I got lucky.. Although, it sure does copper foul SUBSTANTIALLY! I have Boretech eliminator soaking in the bore as I respond to this post & it is proving blue patches one after another, patch after patch. I have to say, none of my Gradous rifles foul in this manner due to the hand lapped premium barrels. Also, every one of my Gradous rifles shoot these groups or better... There is no luck to it, they are all solid shooters. The way I see it, you can spend a life time trying to find that one .2" or less factory rifle or you can spend a few $'s and have one. Either way, your going to spend something to get what you want...

Looks to me it will out shoot the dark knight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 15
Looks to me it will out shoot the dark knight

Both rifles are excellent shooters. In defense of that posted group, the day I shot the Dark Knight it was pretty windy. The target frame was moving forward and backward in the wind because the ground where the mounting board sits eroded which caused the target frame to pivot due to the extra large gap. The next time I shoot, I won't be in such a rush & over look that small detail. Overall, I have extremely happy with the results of all my bolt action rifles, custom & non custom.

They are both amazing rifles no doubt about it! With that said that's why avg. of all groups really tells the tail not just a few hand picked groups in my opinion and that's why I prefer five shot groups. I've had a lot of three shot groups that grouped very well but not be repeatable or consistent.

Does Bell & Carlson sell a tactical stock for a Winchester 70? I can't find one. I'm loving your 22-250, bedded, bottom metal, paint . . .

That is a beautiful piece. I like it. I see your burning powder at Cherry Ridge. Great place with friendly staff. Maybe I will see you at the Hathcock shoot. Cheers.

That is a beautiful piece. I like it. I see your burning powder at Cherry Ridge. Great place with friendly staff. Maybe I will see you at the Hathcock shoot. Cheers.

Thank you! Yes sir, its 11 miles from my house which makes it very convenient while conducting load work up... As a matter of fact, I just got back from a test with IMR8208XBR.. Only one of the group was "acceptable" in my opinion.. Had a .3 & a couple .4's, the rest I didn't even measure (probably .6" & above). Needless to say, I'll be there to chrono the 34.3gr load tomorrow. Im anticipating somewhere in the 3700fps. range.

A short bit of range work & chronograph today... Reasons like this make me understand the cost of a premium barrel & appreciate a great smith. Extreme spread over 100 fps on 10 shots.. See if you can guess which 3 shots were 100fps more than the other 7.. On the other hand, that 7 shot group measures .404" CTC.

Bob, if you want to do better w that rifle you need to do 2 things,
1st get rid of the match kings and go w something like barts 52 or a Berger the jacket on the matchking is your first killer
2nd when you do load development do 5 shot groups, as you have seen your results w 3 shot groups will not corilate w consistent precision.
Your results have nothing to do with the barrel or the smith, the variables have not been throughly worked through.
I'm not trying to be an internet smart ass but I have been where you are and had to shoot hundereds of rounds to figure out what I just told you

Bob, if you want to do better w that rifle you need to do 2 things,
1st get rid of the match kings and go w something like barts 52 or a Berger the jacket on the matchking is your first killer
2nd when you do load development do 5 shot groups, as you have seen your results w 3 shot groups will not corilate w consistent precision.
Your results have nothing to do with the barrel or the smith, the variables have not been throughly worked through.
I'm not trying to be an internet smart ass but I have been where you are and had to shoot hundereds of rounds to figure out what I just told you

I second the 5 shot groups lets you know a little more for an avg.

Here is my question.. How will shooting 5 shots during load work up resolve a getting a shitty group from a shitty factory barreled action? It is what it is.. A PIG! I failed to mention that the above posted 10 shot group was in fact (2) FIVE round mag dumps. Which, with the results it provided, made me pretty darn happy.. I wasn't shooting for a group, I was more or interested in speed. What one needs to realize, this is alot of powder being burned in that little bore that quickly.

My comment on the about understanding the cost of a premium barrel and appreciating a good smith is chalked up to the numbers this barrel produced. I realize there are many factors that can bring the SD & ES down, (ie. powder, primers, 1x fired brass vs. new brass, copper fouling) but I am not going to invest the time and effort into chasing the "magic" load that will put 5 shots in one hole when this rifle will put 3 shots in the high .1's & 10 shots in 1" with 7 shots impacting in a .4" group. After all, this is just a beater rifle, something to poke at ground hogs with.

This thread was created just to provide some insight as to what can be done for a few dollars to a factory Winchester Model 70. I am extremely happy & proud to have accomplished this project & once again, I enjoy shooting this rifle. It will no longer be locked away in the back of the safe, untouched for decades. I hope this thread provided some inspiration to members of SH as many of the projects I have viewed here inspired me. As stated in the title, it was all about just putting "Lipstick on a pig!"

Last edited: