• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors List of NFA Trust attorney's by state?

freerangevoter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
North Idaho
I'm looking for an attorney to draw up an NFA trust in Idaho and welcome your suggestions. Seems like it would be neat to start a list of attorney's here for reference.

Re: List of NFA Trust attorney's by state?

I've got an appointment next week with an attorney that might know what he's doing in Central AL, will report back...

The plural of "attorney" is "attorneys," for reference.

It might make searching easier.

ill give anyone a free copy of a florida NFA trust with the NFA specific language to use as a template. you will need to have it reviewed locally to be sure it agrees with your local trust laws. look at your local NFA laws as well. there are states that have specific language that excludes trusts and specifically requires CLEO sign-off.

i need a place to host it so i dont have to email it to everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need a place to host it so i dont have to email it to everyone. </div></div>

Google Docs?

i havent used a FTP or online storage place in ages. pm an email and ill fwd to anyone that wants it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voytek Jarnot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need a place to host it so i dont have to email it to everyone. </div></div>

Google Docs? </div></div>

You can find the Trust for Couples here: Trust for Couples via Google Docs

Check your local laws & have an attorney review.

rasheed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasheed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voytek Jarnot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need a place to host it so i dont have to email it to everyone. </div></div>

rasheed </div></div>

thanks man. a little info on it. its written for a florida resident, a member here, and i retyped it word for word. i forgot to all that the original was initialed by both parties on the bottom of each page. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">the bold underlined parts </span></span> need to be changed to the users info. i am working on a single persons draft also.

Quicken will maker hasn't failed me on 4 stamps, and its MUCH easier and more affordable than the cleo route.

My sot actually said they've been able to just update the schedule a with no problems....we'll see about that on my keg12 in process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voytek Jarnot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But do the latest versions of WillMaker still do trusts? </div></div>

The newest version does not have the option to make a revokable living trust.

Attorney Lane Barney. Las Vegas NV. Very happy with mine.

Good post, this should be a sticky.

There is a free trust example on my website under the download section. Just follow the instructions.

It is always good advice to have it looked over by a legal professional once completed. Approved in many states countless times.

Hooper - i downloaded your sample trust form. I noticed that there is no section for appointing beneficiaries or acknowledging the rights of the beneficiaries. My primary goal in establishing a trust is to allow multiple users of a silencer without having to be with them. Several of my closest friends and family will be able to utilize the can as a beneficiary just like they are the registered user of the can. How would LE personnel respond to that trust form if my friend was using the silencer and was listed as a beneficiary but nothing spelled out the right of the beneficiary? So many questions.......maybe finding an NFA attorney is a good idea. Just hate to waste $500 for 15 minutes of an attorney's time.

Sorry this might be somewhere else on here but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know of the best or better banks to use for the trust account once it is set up. Need info for Florida,
thanks,

Kris

I would not recommend letting anyone use a suppressor other than the bloak who actually owns it. Beneficiary, trustee, ect..

You are asking for trouble and just might be the example used to pass legislation to further regulate how NFA transfers are handled.

If you use the trust on my site, please be sure to have a legal expert look it over to make sure it meets the requirements of your state.

If any of these attorneys are not members of your shooting clubs don't turn your back on them.

I don't want to be a nay-sayer, but personally, I would be VERY hesitant to use anyone saying that he can do a trust every state. State laws vary in requirements for a valid trust. If you are going to rely on him for a trust in your home state, you want him/her to be licensed to practice law in your state.

I had a local person in Las Vegas do my trust. Seeing a second name above me on this list, its good to know there are more than one here.

JeffVN

Hooper- Thanks for posting the trust example on your site as it saved me a lot of time and probably money. I took your example and plugged in my information. As you have recommended, I did have it looked at by an attorney and it needed quite a bit of rewording to make it valid in Texas. The general layout is the same though and it was much easier to change those things than to start from scratch.

To everyone else thinking about doing a trust, some of the important advice that I received were:

1. The trust must be valid or you are breaking the law. Remember, the ATF isn't in the business of validating trusts, they process the paperwork. They can approve the transfer and later find the trust invalid.

2. As the example was written, it includes the trustees' children's subtrust which can cause an issue with inheritance that your children might receive. (i.e.: items left from grandparents)

3. In Texas, the "Grantor" is really the "Trustor" and though the terms are synonyms, the proper way to describe the Trustor in Texas is by using that term.

4. Unless there are multiple Trustees, you are still the only person that should have access to the NFA item. The example that Hooper gave does not have multiple trustees and a successor trustee does not have the same rights as the trustee until the trustee dies.

5. If you are the only one who can add property to the trust, then how is the SOT transferring to you so that you can add to the trust without breaking the law? There has to be a clause in the trust that identifies that you can act in faith of the trust to acquire items for the trust. As the example trust reads, you are purchasing the item and then transferring the item to the trust, but the only person who can transfer an NFA item is an ffl/sot who does not have the right to add property to the trust.

These really just break the ice, but I would recommend to anyone to do it right the first time and have the trust corrected by an attorney or drafted by an attorney. The key here is that the trust must be valid and there are a lot of ways to make it not be valid by omission of critical wording. The nice thing about a trust is that when I die, or if I add a trustee later, my wife (successor trustee) or that other trustee can legally possess the NFA items until they decide to do something with them or transfer them.

Hmm...

Anyone have one done for Maryland? My NFA FFL referred me to guntrustlawyer.com after showing me several "examples" of trusts currently being used for transfer.

I'm 'working' with legalzoom right now to see if they have the right instrument to meet my needs.

I agree with many others here that something which is so "boiler plate" right now shouldn't cost in excess of $600 to plug 'n paste 'n print but I also have to think of what my time and pride are worth. Last time I went to the MD state police barracks they'd changed the rules so ALL fingerprints are done at one office in Reisterstown. You basically get there after rush hour and spend upwards of 6 hours waiting in one line after another to get a set of prints, then you try to find a parking space near the barracks, then try to find someone to give the paperwork to, with a check for I forget how much all to exercise my rights as a US citizen under the constitution.

That $600 may be the way to go.

Let us know what legal zoom comes up with. Politicians, Insurance Salesman and Attorney's need as little of my money as possible! Rat Bastards that they are

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a NC example they are willing to share? </div></div>

Same but for Wisconsin?
JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasheed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voytek Jarnot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need a place to host it so i dont have to email it to everyone. </div></div>

rasheed </div></div>

thanks man. a little info on it. its written for a florida resident, a member here, and i retyped it word for word. i forgot to all that the original was initialed by both parties on the bottom of each page. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">the bold underlined parts </span></span> need to be changed to the users info. i am working on a single persons draft also.

</div></div>

I need the single person's trust please. I'm also in Florida,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let us know what legal zoom comes up with. Politicians, Insurance Salesman and Attorney's need as little of my money as possible! Rat Bastards that they are</div></div>

I wrote, I asked. Maybe it wasn't clear enough or they want me to buy the trust instrument FIRST, THEN they'll advise me in the negative.

THIS was Legalzoom's response (my question follows):

[ Janet Y. from LegalZoom wrote: ] 05/03/2011 02:50 PM
Dear d,

LegalZoom is not an attorney and cannot provide legal advice. However, we are always seeking innovative ways for people to get the benefits of the law. While we offer a wide variety of documents and services, people often need the advice and guidance of an attorney.

We offer a 14-day free trial so you can try it out and see what you think. Please visit the link to our Legal Advantage Plus product offering to get advice from an experienced attorney on personal legal matters:

http://www.legalzoom.com/attorneys-lawyers/legal-advantage-plus.html

If you have any questions or need further information, please call our Customer Care Team at 877.818.8787 Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. PT.

Best regards,

The LegalZoom Team

tel 877.818.8787 | fax 323.389.0658 | [email protected]
www.LegalZoom.com | 101 N. Brand Blvd., Suite 1100, Glendale, CA 91203
[ d d wrote: ] 05/01/2011 02:25 PM
ref: guntrustlawyer.com

I'm attempting to put together what's known as an "NFA trust."

This is a common enough instrument that I figured I'd find SOMEthing on your website relating to it. I've searched for "gun," "Firearm," "NFA," "Supressor," and came up short every time.

Is this something with which your company is familiar or can produce under a living trust?

Thanks in advance.

In Wisconsin:

Craig A. Kubiak
KLO
Kubiak Law Office, LLC
5605 Waterford Lane
Appleton, WI 54913
(920) 882-2900
(920) 882-1901 Facsimile

Craig is also on Face Book as "Tactical Loophole"

He did my trust in 2 emails and one office visit, costed me $250.00 - he does this for us because he's a shooter as well. If your in Wisconsin, near Appleton, it's worth the call!

Great,

Thanks, I'll be contacting him in the future!!
JMC

Anyone have any info for anyone in New Mexico?
I need(ok), want a can to go on my .223 and my .22-250.

Thanks,

gonzaga

OHIO
Im an Attorney, a Shooter and a County Prosecuting Attorney. I can help you get through a trust in my State of Ohio.

I can help you in Ohio only and I dont charge much as its pretty easy to do a trust and I have done many, and it doesnt take long once you decide what you are getting. Shoot me an email to the address below if you are interested in a trust and you live in Ohio.

Stephen Michniak

[email protected]

I called David Goldman www.guntrustlawyer.com and he gave me a wealth of info.
He is a shooter and a good guy. He works on NFA trusts with atty's in 43(?) states. He did the initial draft and split the $600 fee with Alan Harrison, [email protected], a lawyer in my state of Idaho. Alan refined it to meet Idaho's rules. The biggest hassle (other than getting the wife to go along with it) was finding a notary and 2 witnesses that could meet to sign it. My bank (and every other bank in town that I called) will not notarize a trust (NFA or otherwise) so I had to track down a mobile notary.
This week I will be submitting the paperwork and will report back. David suggested buying big-ticket items, like a $30K Thompson with it's own individual trust. As I understand it, you never sell the NFA item; you sell the trust as you would a corporation. The new owner then submits an address change and I believe avoids the $200 stamp, fingerprints and other humiliation. IIRC David will do subsequent trusts for individual items at a reduced rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guerrilla Monsoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Juniors - I will be calling Mr. Kubiak on Monday. </div></div>

..and the trust was done and Form 4 sent in on Thursday.

Craig Kubiak is rad. I wish I would have called him months ago.

Any suggestions for someone in MT?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean Cody did mine, he's an SOT and big proponent of NFA items so he has alot of experience on top of being an attorney.

www.texasnfatrust.com

Texas </div></div>I will second Sean Cody, big 2nd amendment and NFA supporter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silentrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David Goldman www.guntrustlawyer.com He helps a lot of attorney's in different states for gun trust.</div></div>

And that, Texas1911 is why so many of us are asking about LOCAL attorneys who realize this is basically boilerplate paperwork requiring very little time to plug in names, and hand a client a form with basic instruction. If done right, it should be defensible, no need for an attorney to build a "war chest" against possible future court challenges although this is customary; charging $600-plus to do this is deplorable although customary legal practice.

I've been referred to a "local" attorney (actually over an hour away) who I understand charges around $400 for this instrument. Others, in other states, have paid around $200-300.

I'm a doctor. FP. I'm not rich by any means. I work very hard for my money and look for best value in everything I buy. If I ever get LASIK surgery, you bet I'm paying for the best machine, not some crappy $500 per eye deal which I think should be investigated by medical boards in every state ophthalmologists are doing this. You either do the surgery right, or not at all, no good better best when you're talking eyes.

Similarly with legal issues and documents. Either the form is done right at $200 or it's done right at $600. There should BE no good better best regarding trusts, otherwise it's my contention that there are attorneys who are either malpracticing law or gouging. I'm sure it's a case of both.

Anyway, still looking, contemplating just sending in a boilerplate form I changed the particulars on I got from marylandshooter.com

Has anyone set up a trust in Wyoming? I'm considering going that route but would definitely want to have a lawyer at least look over the forms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadysmitty68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to find one Indiana. </div></div>

Tim Kalamaros
Timothy E Kalamaros Law Ofc PC
http://www.timothykalamaroslaw.com/

This guy did mine as an extension of Mr. Goldman in Florida. I believe that he is near Mishawaka?

Hell's yeah, TAG for one in CO!
grin.gif

Thanks to RJ for directing me to this thread.

I am an attorney in Denver, CO, and am an active shooter and USPSA competitor. I have prepared an NFA trust agreement consistent with Colorado law. Please feel free to contact me at:

Brian Reynolds
Bruno, Colin, Jewell & Lowe, P.C.
1999 Broadway, Denver, CO 80202
(303) 831-1099
[email protected]