• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Listen to that "Inner Voice" ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    So I was feeling pretty good about myself, having just returned from a local club shoot where I was spot-on ... dinging the steel out to about 1,200 yards ... and could have gone farther. My MPA 300-WM was working great, and I had a terrific cartridge that had been giving me SD's of around 5.0 and the BC for the bullet (Berger 200.20x Hybrid Target) looked to be right on the mark. Definitely the most consistently I've ever shot beyond 1,000 yards, as I was pretty much in the "One Shot - One Kill" mode.

Came home (slightly euphoric) and decided to size some brass and get ready to reproduce that load since it was about as good as I was gonna get. I spread the cases out on a cookie sheet, gave 'em a spray with Hornady One-Shot just like I always do ... although I admit in hindsight I was trying to lube a bit lighter than usual to save on spray lube as I was on my last can. I started sizing with my Redding Type-S Bushing Die, and as the first few cases felt "snug", that "Inner Voice" of mine said ... "These aren't lubed enough - stop - and give 'em another spray down."

I ignored my "Inner Voice". Three cases later ...

1648852263779.png

And "Yes" ... I tried all the standard tricks (Bang from Above, Drill and Tap, Penetrating Oil, Heat, etc.). Hell, I even tried drilling out the inside of the bushing.

Luckily I found one in stock and it's headed my way. Anybody want to buy a slightly used Redding 300-WM Type-S Bushing Die? It even has a .331 bushing conveniently and permanently lodged it it. Someday, maybe I'll pick it up and try again ... but not today ... I'm too pissed off at myself. Lesson Learned !!!

Take it out of the hornady bushing. Gap your vice jaws so that the die barely slides between and is supported by the lock ring. Stick a 1/4” rod down in it and smack it with a 5 lb sledge. That case should pop out.

Or buy one of those rcbs stuck die reamer removers.

At least you had a day at the range you will remember for a long time . I bet if you attack that stuck case when you are not so bummed it will come out . RCBS puller should have no problem with it . Also,like spife stated a good hit with a hammer should knock it right out of there .

Reactions: Alienta
    Take it out of the hornady bushing. Gap your vice jaws so that the die barely slides between and is supported by the lock ring. Stick a 1/4” rod down in it and smack it with a 5 lb sledge. That case should pop out.

Or buy one of those rcbs stuck die reamer removers.
    Oh CRAP ... I'm even dumber than I first suspected. I actually HAVE the RCBS Stuck Case Remover ... totally forgot (until I read this) that I bought it a few years ago just in case this ever happened ... still in the sealed container. BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE !!!

I quickly realized that I'd already "over-drilled" the flash hole in my failed attempt to weaken the hold ... and now the tap just slides in and out ... with a hole too big to hold the screw-in tools for removal.

I can't believe I had exactly what I needed to solve this problem, but didn't realize it until it was too late and I'd already broken it beyond any ability to fix it.

I guess there were more lessons to learn ... eh?

Oh BTW ... I can't do the 1/4" rod - hit it with a hammer thingie ... because I already drilled it out to a point where the case hole is the same size as the interior of the bushing. There's no base left to bang with that hammer. Oh well ... like you guys said ... (a) it was a great range day, and (b) I have a new die and bushing on the way. It was a $100 mistake ... WAY cheaper than others I've made in my lifetime.

Reactions: creedmoor664
    could try screwing something like a lag bolt into the bottom and banging it out.

Not sure what size you drilled it out to.

Try a 5/16-18 tap and an F drill. Find a socket that works like the part in your kit. You should be able to get it out.

If you give up on it hit me up and I’ll be glad to pay shipping for it.

Not sure what size you drilled it out to.

Try a 5/16-18 tap and an F drill. Find a socket that works like the part in your kit. You should be able to get it out.

If you give up on it hit me up and I’ll be glad to pay shipping for it.
    This^^^^^^bigger tap bigger bolt. Some washers, a bolt, and tap from the hardware store is all you need to make a stuck case remover.

I feel your pain. I've had a few stuck cases, but not since I quit using One Shot. I know a lot of guys swear by it, but not me. I guess I didn't use enough. I'm a Lanolin mix guy now

oneshot is what i got a case stuck also. stopped using it and went back to the lee stuff. never had issue with the lee lube.

I always use Hornady one shot.... on brand new brass.

Otherwise I use the Forster stuff mixed with isopropyl or the Dillon stuff.

@rustyinbend - I too have a stuck case puller that I got years ago after I got my first stuck case using One Shot. I used it precisely once before I said, "fuck this" and tossed it all. Now I use Unique Case Lube - haven't had anything remotely close to a stuck case since.

The ONLY time I ever stuck a case was with One-Shot. Multiple cases. BUT, in the process I learned that A: I needed to shake it up a lot before I spray the cases. B: Give it time to DRY COMPLETELY before you try to size a case. Even if you have to leave it overnight to keep from getting too impatient.
    Even after learning the secrets to its' successful use, I don't use it anymore. On small lots of brass I use the Imperial case sizing wax, and on large lots I use liquid lanolin and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle.
    You have to let the lanolin/alcohol dry thoroughly too, but it lubes much better than one shit.

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
      external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 37
    I've heard sticking the die in the freezer can help get a stuck case out. Might be worth a shot.

I've had a few stuck cases with One Shot. Switched to Imperial Sizing Die Wax, and have been much happier.

Reactions: Bmaier69
    Redding has consistently the worst internal finish of any dies these days imo. Its like theyre honed with 80 grit. No mystery why they require a lot of lube. Only reason to buy a Redding sizer is because you must due to a unique cartridge, or general availability. Its no

Reactions: Alienta
    UPDATE ... After embedding a carriage bolt into it and beating it with a BFH, it cracked on the inside where the bushing sits. I gave it a worthy burial in the trash can. It's officially dead. I may take everyone's advice and migrate away from One-Shot. I sometimes use Imperial Sizing Die Wax for smaller volume jobs, and it's never given me cause to worry. With ISDW, my Inner-Voice said ... "Wow, that was nice and slippery. Do it again!"

thats-what-she-said.jpg

Reactions: Bmaier69
    I’ll second the bigger tap and bigger bolt idea.

EDIT: try this next time!!!

Once you have it tapped out, find a socket, probably 3/8 drive, that your bigger bolt will fit through and still have enough room to thread into the stick case.

Put the socket on the die, thread the bolt through the washer into the case, like below.

Put double nuts on the FL die, and use the bolt in the case to pull the stuck case out of the die.
    image.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: eddie102870
    UPDATE ... After embedding a carriage bolt into it and beating it with a BFH, it cracked on the inside where the bushing sits. I gave it a worthy burial in the trash can. It's officially dead. I may take everyone's advice and migrate away from One-Shot. I sometimes use Imperial Sizing Die Wax for smaller volume jobs, and it's never given me cause to worry. With ISDW, my Inner-Voice said ... "Wow, that was nice and slippery. Do it again!"

thats-what-she-said.jpg

Mix your own spray lube with lanolin and 99% alcohol. Use a 1gal ziplock bag to apply it to the cases.

I resize my 223 with water and sprayed on ballistol, usually too impatient to wait for them to dry and keep adding more spray when they dry during sizing. It actually works quite well, never had a case get stuck. I mostly do Sako, but PMC, Geco and GGG too.

I did polish the inside of the redding NC die quickly with 12000. Maybe the smaller cases are just a lot easier to work on?

I’ll second the bigger tap and bigger bolt idea.

EDIT: try this next time!!!

Once you have it tapped out, find a socket, probably 3/8 drive, that your bigger bolt will fit through and still have enough room to thread into the stick case.

Put the socket on the die, thread the bolt through the washer into the case, like below.

Put double nuts on the FL die, and use the bolt in the case to pull the stuck case out of the die. View attachment 7841857
    Yeah I just did this on one. I won't be ignoring my inner voice again, but glad to have a kit to remove the stuck case if it happens again. I used a 5/16" tap and bit set . It pulls right out.

I've heard sticking the die in the freezer can help get a stuck case out. Might be worth a shot.

I've had a few stuck cases with One Shot. Switched to Imperial Sizing Die Wax, and have been much happier.
    Is there some better way to apply it? That's why I use one shot, because it's quick and easy.... of course, getting a case stuck is definitely not quick nor easy

One of the big reasons to let all the liquid flash off first when sizing cases, is that liquid will cause shoulder bump to be inconsistent.

Reactions: Near miss
    I have never tried dry lube for sizing. I dont think it is the proper lube to use.

Last edited:
    So I was feeling pretty good about myself, having just returned from a local club shoot where I was spot-on ... dinging the steel out to about 1,200 yards ... and could have gone farther. My MPA 300-WM was working great, and I had a terrific cartridge that had been giving me SD's of around 5.0 and the BC for the bullet (Berger 200.20x Hybrid Target) looked to be right on the mark. Definitely the most consistently I've ever shot beyond 1,000 yards, as I was pretty much in the "One Shot - One Kill" mode.

Came home (slightly euphoric) and decided to size some brass and get ready to reproduce that load since it was about as good as I was gonna get. I spread the cases out on a cookie sheet, gave 'em a spray with Hornady One-Shot just like I always do ... although I admit in hindsight I was trying to lube a bit lighter than usual to save on spray lube as I was on my last can. I started sizing with my Redding Type-S Bushing Die, and as the first few cases felt "snug", that "Inner Voice" of mine said ... "These aren't lubed enough - stop - and give 'em another spray down."

View attachment 7840892

And "Yes" ... I tried all the standard tricks (Bang from Above, Drill and Tap, Penetrating Oil, Heat, etc.). Hell, I even tried drilling out the inside of the bushing.

Luckily I found one in stock and it's headed my way. Anybody want to buy a slightly used Redding 300-WM Type-S Bushing Die? It even has a .331 bushing conveniently and permanently lodged it it. Someday, maybe I'll pick it up and try again ... but not today ... I'm too pissed off at myself. Lesson Learned !!!
    I had that happen too many times. Settled down with Lee case lube and not a problem since. But i finger the outer, and Q-Tip inside the neck, to be sure.

I would of still paid for the die to be shipped to me. Something satisfying about getting a case un stuck. I would of taking it to work and used a press. I still like rcbs lube for mass quantities of brass. Imperial die wax for the rock chucker and hanging out with dad

oneshot is what i got a case stuck also. stopped using it and went back to the lee stuff. never had issue with the lee lube.
    I also wuit using it - Lyman similar to Lee lube is now used. Problem is also added that using for neck inside must be cleaned to prevent powder hanging in neck ID, so I ut for 5 min and in the dryer for the night.

Had the same issue with 1 shot. Destroyed a expensive bushing die trying to get case out.

Lanolin/Iso mix now. Much smoother, doesn't stink and is cheaper.

One shot stuck case as well. Maybe there should be a warning on the back of the can? Been using Dillon spray lube for a while w/o problem.

The ONLY time I ever stuck a case was with One-Shot. Multiple cases. BUT, in the process I learned that A: I needed to shake it up a lot before I spray the cases. B: Give it time to DRY COMPLETELY before you try to size a case. Even if you have to leave it overnight to keep from getting too impatient.
    Even after learning the secrets to its' successful use, I don't use it anymore. On small lots of brass I use the Imperial case sizing wax, and on large lots I use liquid lanolin and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle.
    You have to let the lanolin/alcohol dry thoroughly too, but it lubes much better than one shit.
    This is an often repeated story...
    I have been using Imperial Case wax for many years because someone turned me on to it after I stuck several .308 cases. Read carefully ...Use Imperial and you won't regret it.
    I actually backpedaled recently and thought it would be cool to use some One Shot on a bunch of .223...about 12 cases in I was reminded of the reason I had switched to Imperial.

This is an often repeated story...
    I have been using Imperial Case wax for many years because someone turned me on to it after I stuck several .308 cases. Read carefully ...Use Imperial and you won't regret it.
    I actually backpedaled recently and thought it would be cool to use some One Shot on a bunch of .223...about 12 cases in I was reminded of the reason I had switched to Imperial.
    I'm a cheap bastard and refuse to throw anything away... I use One Shot on a q-tip to lube inside of case necks. works well for that

View attachment 7840892

Imperial sizing wax will stop this from happening

My two basic case lubes are Imperial for small jobs and Lanolin / alcohol for the bigger jobs (50+ cases). Has worked for me for many years. I have used heavy viscosity synthetic motor / gear oil. That works well also, but you have to be careful not to use too much, you can dent shoulders. I use it when loading 10 or so test loads.

Also, the Alcohol / Lanolin lube is best removed by using a tumbler using crushed walnut or corn cob. you DO NOT want to leave the cases sitting for weeks before removing the lube. It will harden and will be a major bitch to remove.

If you look on the net, you will see that Hornady One Shot was the cause many stuck cases. Most of the time, it is user error by not using enough or not letting it flash off before resizing.

I make my own Alcohol / Lanolin now, but used Dillon Lanolin / Alcohol spray case lube for years. It's very good if you don't want to make your own.

If you do want to make your own, make sure you use 99% alcohol.

When I'm using the Alcohol / Lanolin lube, I take a take a plastic tub with a piece of cardboard cut as a liner for the bottom of the tub. I pour the cases in, give them a few spurts of lube, mix them up well and give them a few more spurts. Let them sit a few minutes for the alcohol to flash off and then you're good to go.

Throw lanolin/alcohol covered cases into a wet tumbler for 10 minutes with some case cleaner and it comes out sparkly clean, no dicking with media and does not really even have to be rinsed off. Nothing is easier or quicker.

10:1 is the ratio I was shown and it works wonders.