• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lite bipods

Usage question on the super light bipods:

I live/hunt/etc mostly in the east. Grass/weeds/etc usually make it hard for me to often find prone shots. I've found a tripod (or even shooting sticks, monopod, etc) to be much more flexible as a shooting aid - to the point that I haven't ran a bipod on anything but heavy rifles for a long time now. That's not even getting into using a tripod for glassing and such.

You guys running these cool lightweight bipods... are you also running a tripod in conjunction? Are you foregoing a tripod specifically due to weight? What's the use case where having a bipod in the field really shines?

Obviously the hunt and terrain will dictate priorities.

All my backcountry western hunts are going deep with a backpack on, and I mostly run just an RRS 24L to pull double duty with shooting and glassing. But there's a certain place we go where the terrain lays just right, with minimal vegetation, to where a modified prone is the norm and not the exception. In that area, I will bring an ultralight bipod and lighter tripod, because weight savings. This happens to be our mule deer hunt, so usually all weight savings go into as big of spotter as you feel like carrying.

Another option with spot and stalk and light bipods: ditch the 13oz atlas in favor of the 5oz bipod for 8oz of weight savings, ditch the 3lb tripod for the 2lb or less, and suddenly you have the option of carrying a chair to use at camp and glassing. Or upgrading the 65mm to 77mm+ spotter, which may be the thing that equals success that year.

Gotta love the options we have these days..

I live/hunt/etc mostly in the east. Grass/weeds/etc usually make it hard for me to often find prone shots. I've found a tripod (or even shooting sticks, monopod, etc) to be much more flexible as a shooting aid - to the point that I haven't ran a bipod on anything but heavy rifles for a long time now. That's not even getting into using a tripod for glassing and such.

You guys running these cool lightweight bipods... are you also running a tripod in conjunction? Are you foregoing a tripod specifically due to weight? What's the use case where having a bipod in the field really shines?
I’ll add another point to what was already said. The area that I hunt deer the relatively steep terrain almost never gives the opportunity to shoot prone, and often gives shots of 300-600 yards, making a tripod next to mandatory. I also end up spending a ton of time glassing, meaning my tripod is busy holding binos/spotters. A bipod makes a convenient stand to keep the rifle out of the dirt, and I’d much rather carry a 5oz kickstand versus one in the 13-15oz range.

Reactions: carbonbased

I glass with a tripod a lot, and have tripods for glassing and shooting, but I don't carry it around with me much unless i am just glassing. I usually carry shooting sticks because opertunties don't often present where prone is an option here either. Especially with bipods 10" or less, the Harris at 13" gets me a few more shots than my BT10. I just can't ditch the bipod because if I can get into my best most stable position, I want to.

I didn't think about the QD mount and rail on mine. My BT-10 is actually 11.2oz, 13.5 with the QD mount mounted to a rail on it.