• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Literature for our children

TNT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2006
Arlington, VA
Or in my case, hoped-for, future children.

Don't worry, I eventually get to how this is all gun-related...

I finished reading <span style="text-decoration: underline">Red Planet</span>, which reaffirmed my awe in Robert Heinlein as a writer. He captures ideas that I greatly admire and am challenged with as an adult, and many times these are in his novels meant for younger readers. I still find it entertaining that with the teen novels, when I hope for the protagonist to escape and overcome the initial problem, Heinlein seems to have known what I wanted and writes the resolution almost immediately, with half the book still left over. Of course, it turns out the initial problem was the tip of the iceberg, and much more pressing matters are at hand. So, like a child, I get caught up in the minor squabble that dominates my attention and then realize that with its resolution comes more serious facets of life. I don't think these books were written that way without reason.

My favorite of his was, at first, <span style="text-decoration: underline">Starship Troopers</span> for the brilliant socio-political dialogue. Then I came to like <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Moon is a Harsh Mistress</span> even more for the concepts of freedom, sacrifice, and cost - everything must be paid for one way or another.

Finally, I think I have settled on either <span style="text-decoration: underline">Space Cadet</span> or <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Long Watch</span> as my favorites of them all (jury is still out because I think I have about 4-5 more of his books that I haven't read yet...keep finding more 'new' ones). These stories were written for young teenagers, focused on the concept of duty.

And now, the part about guns...in nearly all of Heinlein's books, the characters arm themselves as a matter of principle and fight to retain that freedom, regardless of the environment in which they live. In fact, most of the time, the protagonist(s) are daring pioneers only because of the fact that "civilization" has continued to erode their freedoms, and they would rather risk life, limb, and comfort just so they have an opportunity to choose their own destiny. The 2nd ammendment becomes very closely tied with this concept, as Heinlein's characters mention that it is necessary "to keep other men honest" (i.e. do not allow tyranny of the majority).

Takeaways:
1. Read some of these books if you haven't already. They are more than worth the time and quite entertaining if you have any taste for sci-fi, action, and heroic tales.

2. Any children I have will be introduced to these books. I think there are some very valuable concepts put in an interesting perspective (yes, some of Heinlein's stuff does get pretty far out...but on the whole, he's got some great points).

3. I want to live on the moon and fly in a giant air reservoir (<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Menace from Earth</span>).

Hopefully some of this was relevant to parents, citizens, and those interested in good literature.

Re: Literature for our children

I read Starship Troopers a long time ago. I thought it was a good book. However, I learned a lot from my crazy Vietnam vet uncle (Recondo Medic) who gave me a bunch of his old FMT manuals (Booby Traps, Improvised Munitions, Small Unit Tactics, etc.) for my 10th birthday.

Not a very wise thing to give to a young and imaginative latch-key kid. LOL