• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Little armored one took up residence in my back yard.

mikeinfwa

Que Chimba
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2002
Jacksonville FL
Other than the big hole under the shrub, what's the issue with these critters in/under your yard?

I have a couple of big smoke bombs from July 4th. Would shoving a smoke bomb down the hole cause the Armadillo to flee to neighbors yard ? ;)

I shoot every one that makes it into my yard as I will skunks. They are like little hogs and will root up your yard. If the ground is soft, you will be surprised how big of holes they will leave all over.

Will wreck your landscaping on the order of a mess of wild hogs, and invite their friends to join the fun. Have trapped 5 this summer, a record as usually 1 or 2. Thinking the drought's bringing them out in #'s. Checked my traps before church and have a durned skunk from overnight. Lovely

I shoot every one that makes it into my yard as I will skunks. They are like little hogs and will root up your yard. If the ground is soft, you will be surprised how big of holes they will leave all over.

AHhhh.. a Skunk shooter . We can't be friends .
-

SKUNK.jpg

-

Only in my yard. I have dogs that never learn. 😂

Yep.. dogs will never learn. and Big dogs are the worst, they always just charge straight right up skunks. and ...BOOM

I used to fight, trap and try to get rid of all the skunks around here for years. Then i fucking just gave up, and found out that Skunks actually just want to get along and are pretty social and friendly.
Skunks are pacifists, actually they are the biggest scared chickenshits walking on 4 legs, I seen skunks even backdown run from Possums. If it was not for their chemical bomb, they would be extinct in the wild, because they not aggressive and dont fight.

Interesting Fact --- Skunks have real long fine hair. When you rub scratch. pet skunks, even comb your fingers threw there long tail hair . Then if you smell your hand. There is NO bad skunk smell. Is pretty freaky, their own Chem. Stink does not stick to their hair and body.

Yep.. dogs will never learn. and Big dogs are the worst, they always just charge straight right up skunks. and ...BOOM

I used to fight, trap and try to get rid of all the skunks around here for years. Then i fucking just gave up, and found out that Skunks actually just want to get along and are pretty social and friendly.
Skunks are pacifists, actually they are the biggest scared chickenshits walking on 4 legs, I seen skunks even backdown run from Possums. If it was not for their chemical bomb, they would be extinct in the wild, because they not aggressive and dont fight.

Interesting Fact --- Skunks have real long fine hair. When you rub scratch. pet skunks, even comb your fingers threw there long tail hair . Then if you smell your hand. There is NO bad skunk smell. Is pretty freaky, their own Chem. Stink does not stick to their hair and body.

how do you make skunks a pet without chemical attack when scared ?

Skunks are pacifists, actually they are the biggest scared chickenshits walking on 4 legs, I seen skunks even backdown run from Possums.
We had a skunk chasing an opossum one evening in the back yard probably 15 years ago. It was pretty funny to watch, the skunk would chase it in circles, the opossum would "pass out" and the skunk would stand there watching it...when the opossum would wake up, the chase would start back up. That kept going on for 15-20 minutes until they finally left the back yard, not sure where they went there was some woods at the edge of the backyard that they disappeared into.

Used to be able to have the scent gland removed. Knew a few people growing up that had them as pets. Supposedly just as good or better than cats.

Same same for raccoons. If they are raised right, they are very people friendly

Reactions: camocorvette
Dinner.

Gut him and the BBQ him in his shell.

Or just put out a trap like a normal person. They are stupid and blind so if you put boards on either side to funnel him into the trap he will go right for it.

Dinner.

Gut him and the BBQ him in his shell.

Or just put out a trap like a normal person. They are stupid and blind so if you put boards on either side to funnel him into the trap he will go right for it.
‘Possum on the half shell. As Served by all the finest restaurants in roadkill Country!

Sirhr

I've got several holes on my place. I need to sort them out. I think ill try the pepper trick. They dont bother me rooting stuff up, but their holes are a favorite hideout of a critter I cant abide...eastern diamondbacks.
Got to be careful round here too that you aren't harassing a gopher tortoise. You'd do better getting caught for murder.

The little fuckers are going after grubs that live under your grass
They tore my yard up pretty good, but I trapped them (here is a pic of one) and then released them about 10 miles away from where I lived (up to 5 miles they will return)

1694384167025.png

If you want to trap them, you have to find their normal path that they walk and just put the trap in their way and wait, they will walk right into it (can make a small fence funnel to point them in to the trap opening to cover a wider path travelled). They will not go for any bait.

I tried to kill the grubs (in theory no food no dillos) but that never seemed to work for me.

They don't feel I a threat. It possible I could get sprayed, but most all of the skunks around my neighborhood actually know me.

I watch for them every year, and I grab ( toddlers ) just out of the den when they just start exploring the surrounding. This summer, was 6th year ( 6 generations ) working with 1st year born skunks I grab and handle as many as I can.
It easy to wrangle skunks. You Just got to grab a few when still small, let them know you not going to eat them, then feed them. The toddlers just out for the 1st month always run together in a little rat pack. If you mother them, feed, groom them. then they will relax around you, and put a little bond to you. I got a couple BIG skunks I recognize by their head markings from a litter 3 years ago still come to my back door and back yard this summer. They still know me by sight and voice, and walk up to me, take food from my hand.
edit add:
I will try to find the Pic. and Post . I caught one skunk in my house , in the back laundry room/mud room.eating the cats food. Smart little fucker. He seen the cat go in and out, and knew the cat was going in-out of house snacking on his food bowl .
And that's the problem as some skunks will get to relaxed easy going around you, the house and family. got to be careful not to leave the doors open in summertime.

Last edited:
Had one try to walk through my yard, found him the next morning, my 120# rottweiler had bitten a large chunk out of it's back!

While mowing the first time in a month (drought), yesterday, I noticed several armadillo burrows under my driveway and trying to burrow under my well house slab. I'm going to have to stay up and get them, before they do some serious damage. Armadillos, raccoons are a pita, not to mention the neighbor's cat taking a shit in my shop in the middle of the day, when I had the garage door open. They're all going to die.

Besides being a severe carrier of rabies, to the point of passing it to their young, they are a farmers best friend.
They will decimate Japanese beetle grubs, army worms, etc.
Leave them be.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I've got several holes on my place. I need to sort them out. I think I’ll try the pepper trick. They dont bother me rooting stuff up, so
S
but their holes are a favorite hideout of a critter I cant abide...eastern diamondbacks.
Got to be careful round here too that you aren't harassing a gopher tortoise. You'd do better getting caught for murder.
Have you seen any big Easterns on your place?

They don't feel I a threat. It possible I could get sprayed, but most all of the skunks around my neighborhood actually know me.

I watch for them every year, and I grab ( toddlers ) just out of the den when they just start exploring the surrounding. This summer, was 6th year ( 6 generations ) working with 1st year born skunks I grab and handle as many as I can.
It easy to wrangle skunks. You Just got to grab a few when still small, let them know you not going to eat them, then feed them. The toddlers just out for the 1st month always run together in a little rat pack. If you mother them, feed, groom them. then they will relax around you, and put a little bond to you. I got a couple BIG skunks I recognize by their head markings from a litter 3 years ago still come to my back door and back yard this summer. They still know me by sight and voice, and walk up to me, take food from my hand.
edit add:
I will try to find the Pic. and Post . I caught one skunk in my house , in the back laundry room/mud room.eating the cats food. Smart little fucker. He seen the cat go in and out, and knew the cat was going in-out of house snacking on his food bowl .
And that's the problem as some skunks will get to relaxed easy going around you, the house and family. got to be careful not to leave the doors open in summertime.
Cat Food 1.jpg

While mowing the first time in a month (drought), yesterday, I noticed several armadillo burrows under my driveway and trying to burrow under my well house slab. I'm going to have to stay up and get them, before they do some serious damage. Armadillos, raccoons are a pita, not to mention the neighbor's cat taking a shit in my shop in the middle of the day, when I had the garage door open. They're all going to die.
5 gallon bucket, connibear trap and an empty can of tuna (the packed in oil works great). Lay the bucket on its side. Hot melt glue the tuna can to the bottom of the bucket. Test fit the connibear and cut notches in the bucket. Use pieces of rebar to stake the trap. Wrap a piece of string to the bucket handle to keep it either up or down out of the way. You will kill the raccoons and the kitty in just a few days. If it’s where you can eyeball it easy, you can kill several feral cats a day. The raccoons will usually only be out at night so just one a night. But usually every night until the population is almost gone.
Dillos I just shoot with pellet rifle or suppressed 22.

Reactions: BLEE
Had a skunk in the live trap earlier this year. A couple nervous moments (for me 🙄), skunk was seemingly cool with it. Got the trap open and it just wandered off. Having been here 14 years I’ve never seen or smelled one. It was quite the surprise…

My mom and dad had one as a pet many years ago. They said it had a great personality.

Had a skunk in the live trap earlier this year. A couple nervous moments (for me 🙄), skunk was seemingly cool with it. Got the trap open and it just wandered off. Having been here 14 years I’ve never seen or smelled one. It was quite the surprise…

My mom and dad had one as a pet many years ago. They said it had a great personality.

Skunks act some manners like a cat, they squabble and snip at each other. for the most part they live pretty independent. lay around, Sleep all fucking day and run around all night like a cat.
One thing that is hilarious. When young they will throw temper tantrums if don't get their way like a bad 3 year old brat. And every litter i seen. the Runts of the litters are always little fighters with an attitude, because being tiny, they been fighting for a spot at the Tit to eat since born.
Skunks love dried cat food, and like a fresh water bowl like a Cat. But they don't eat like a cat. All you do with Cat, is fill food bowl once a day. Most cats, they will come by there food bowl, graze several times over the day . Skunks Eat like little ravaged dogs. They eat all/everything as fast as they can, and they will eat non stop as long as you give food. I guess that it genetically ingrained to eat fatten before the Winter, and you don't know when the next meal coming being on your own. If you made one a pet, you would definitely have to monitor a diet, or it would blow-up fat like a basketball.

Last one I caught in trap set for raccoons…
Skunked the shiznitt out of me.

Oh well, I still let him go.

Sirhr

Reactions: mikeinfwa
The little fuckers are going after grubs that live under your grass
They tore my yard up pretty good, but I trapped them (here is a pic of one) and then released them about 10 miles away from where I lived (up to 5 miles they will return)

View attachment 8224431

If you want to trap them, you have to find their normal path that they walk and just put the trap in their way and wait, they will walk right into it (can make a small fence funnel to point them in to the trap opening to cover a wider path travelled). They will not go for any bait.

I tried to kill the grubs (in theory no food no dillos) but that never seemed to work for me.
They are the only animal other than illegals that carry leprosy. You want some, PM me, I will let you catch all you want. Central Tx. area

Reactions: mikeinfwa
Hoover hogs,,,, the way the economy is going, they will make a comeback.

• Haha
Reactions: Kjb1796