• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Little Help with a old .38 SPL

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
Well i have since gotten to going through my Grandfather's old guns that he left and been learning some stories on the way. What i have is a Titan Tiger 38SPL that was used from my Great Grandfather on duty back a long time ago. What i was wondering is if there is anyone out there that can help re-pair/replace the front sight? It has been super glued back on from either my Grandfather or Great Grandfather. Took it to the local shop and was told it is not worth fixing, and i understand that BUT it is not be fixed to carry just for sentimental value................so is there anyone out there that can help me out for a little of nothing? I have pictures and will shot them on here shortly!! I know that this is kind of crazy because the pistol is probable not worth $100 bucks but i would like to fix it and stick back in the safe to pass on to my sons later on down the road. PM is the best way to reach me!!

39SPL001.jpg

39SPL002.jpg

Re: Little Help with a old .38 SPL

Just an opinion here: I have a very similiar and even older pistol of the same caliber that I wanted "fixed" a bit. My father-in-law's father shot a man with it during a large riot at a coal mining camp once upon a time. The front site is half a penny welded on. I took it to one of the best pistol men in the Corps (at that time) and asked him to give me an estimate. He took his time and wrote me up a full report with changes and costs and such; but, in the end he recommended that unless I planned on using it for protection or range time nothing should be done to it. I agreed with his logic. I have the other half of the penny is well. The real value is that their hands once wrapped around it...

Very good analogy!! I like your line of thinking, kind of changes things for me!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an opinion here: I have a very similar and even older pistol of the same caliber that I wanted "fixed" a bit. My father-in-law's father shot a man with it during a large riot at a coal mining camp once upon a time. The front site is half a penny welded on. I took it to one of the best pistol men in the Corps (at that time) and asked him to give me an estimate. He took his time and wrote me up a full report with changes and costs and such; but, in the end he recommended that unless I planned on using it for protection or range time nothing should be done to it. I agreed with his logic. I have the other half of the penny is well. The real value is that their hands once wrapped around it... </div></div>

I vote with Forty-One. I have some stuff that was given to me by my dad, grandfather, and an old shooting friend who has since passed. The old M44 that came to me when I was 12 was from my friend (dad's friend, my friend, you get the idea). It had a ruined barrel from years of being shot and left with corrosive ammo. It's currently a wall hanger, I have half a dozen or so M44 barrels in excellent condition I could put on it, but to me I just leave it alone.

I also have a Marlin 25N bolt action 22LR. I saved for a year for it when I was 10, my dad bought it when I had enough money. For me, it gets shot all the time, but I'll never touch anything on it. I shoot it practically every time I go to the range, it's one of my favorite rifles.