• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Little mag help please

MikeMcCasland

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Hey Guys,

Just got my first PRS rifle built, and I've signed up for my first match taking place next weekend.

The gun (6GT) is hammering, but I'm having a little trouble with feeding out of two Accurate Mag 10 rounders.

Every ~7-8th round (and there's no consistency to which round it is...could be the 1st, 5th, or 10th etc.) the bolt will just ride over the round and nothing will chamber. 75% of the time you can cycle the action a few more times, and it'll move the case around enough to where the bolt picks up, and other times you have to reach your hand in there and push the round forward in the magazine.

With this kind of feed issue in mind, is this something I should bend the feed lips on, or should I get a spacer kit for the mag? It feels like if the round were sitting more forward in the mag it wouldn't be an issue, which is why I ask about the spacer. As a mag-fed newbie, I'm a little hesitant to go bending up $100 mags.

Any suggestions on how to best handle?

Thanks,
Mike

I had this problem and the solution was to bump out the feed lips ... I used this gadget, but I don't see why a pair of needle-nose pliers wouldn't work too. When you make this adjustment, it moves the cartridge up slightly and allows all rounds to feed correctly.

Yes, you basically just want the rounds in the mag to sit a little higher into the action. Opening up the feed lips will do this, but just adjust a teeny bit at a time and test it.

I had this problem and the solution was to bump out the feed lips ... I used this gadget, but I don't see why a pair of needle-nose pliers wouldn't work too. When you make this adjustment, it moves the cartridge up slightly and allows all rounds to feed correctly.

Just ordered it. I like this better than nicking it up with a leatherman.

Open the front of the feed lips, adjust your mag latch to allow the mag to sit taller in the action (if you can), pull the spring out and stretch it.

It's a Hawkins M5 bottom metal in a foundation stock. Kelbly Atlas Tactical action. I don't think I can adjust the height.

Reactions: reubenski