• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors little paperwork hiccup....

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
I'm 11 months in to my wait and I call the ATF today to just check status on my muffler. Still pending, but they said they sent paper work to my dealer on Aug 5th 2019 for a correction. I used the combo my local dealer and silencershop to order.

Called my local dealer and they have not gotten anything yet and said that it could take 30 days from the time ATF sends it for them to get the correction letter. Then a few days to fix the problem and plus another 15 days to send it back.

I reviewed everything on my end and it looks good (to my knowledge). I am just upset and I'm looking at my local dealer for possibly messing up my paperwork. Am I wrong for thinking this way, anything I can do?

Silencershop says I deal with the local dealer for the paperwork not them....

I mean, (glass half full) at least its not denied.

I was really hoping I would have this muffler in time for my hunt this year...

Has anyone else had this problem?
how much extra time does this add to the approval period?

And I order another muffler (OSS RAd) just last month, will I have the same issue months from now with that paperwork too?

Last edited:
I had a form 1 sent back to me for a correction. I fixed the typo and sent it back. I had my stamp about 3 weeks after i sent it back. Its my understanding you don’t lose your place in line when they send back your paperwork for a correction.

Could be as simple as not signing in the right place(s)... and yes you don't lose your place. Get the correction back to them and could be as fast as a week to clear !!

You have 30 days from the correction date to get it back to the ATF. After that it becomes a denial, you lose your place in line and start over.

You have 30 days from the correction date to get it back to the ATF. After that it becomes a denial, you lose your place in line and start over.

WTH.... my dealer said it could take 30 days just for them to get the paperwork, that alone will deny me... Anything I can do?

Sounds like you should have gone to a better dealer.

I had a paper trust form 1 for my sbr last year that I filled in the model number incorrectly. I had coincidentally called and it was apparently sent out for a correction the day before. Had the letter about a week later through the mail, sent it back in and it was 3 weeks or so later that it was approved.

I didntgo to the back of the line and it was only a small time penalty because I followed the online guides saying to print ar15 instead of m4e1 which was the actual aero model.

All of the correction letters I've seen were sent snail mail, but I don't remember one ever taking much more than a week from the correction date to get to the dealer where I work. We're on the east coast, so maybe add a few days for it to go from WV to NV (assuming that's where you're located). 30 days seems unrealistically long.

The correction letter will have a control number with it. If your dealer is running short on time they can call the RA who's working your form and talk to them directly. If it's a correction to a trust document and not the Form 4 itself it can sometimes be provided via email, saving some time.

If there's no contact from your dealer at all after 30 days, ATF will kick your application as a disapproval, refund your $200, and you'll have to start over. If there's a chance the correction letter has been lost your dealer should call ATF with the item's SN and try to get in touch with the RA working your form.

If your dealer ignores the correction letter ATF will disapprove the form.

Reactions: spife7980
I have also received correction letters from the ATF. Mine were on Form 1's. Both arrived at my house 5-7 days after the date shown on the letter. You need to go have another conversation with your dealer. If the letter was sent on 8/5 then I would expect your dealer has received it. Also, 15 days for a correction is unacceptable. I would expect them to complete the correction and return it to the ATF same day via next day air. I would personally pay for the next day air if the dealer won't just to have the tracking number and know the correction was delivered to the ATF.

The good news is that if you can get the correction back to the ATF promptly your stamp is likely coming soon.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I have also received correction letters from the ATF. Mine were on Form 1's. Both arrived at my house 5-7 days after the date shown on the letter. You need to go have another conversation with your dealer. If the letter was sent on 8/5 then I would expect your dealer has received it. Also, 15 days for a correction is unacceptable. I would expect them to complete the correction and return it to the ATF same day via next day air. I would personally pay for the next day air if the dealer won't just to have the tracking number and know the correction was delivered to the ATF.

The good news is that if you can get the correction back to the ATF promptly your stamp is likely coming soon.

So I should get a copy sent to me too? Or if the dealer made a mistake, only they get the paper to fix the error?

So I should get a copy sent to me too? Or if the dealer made a mistake, only they get the paper to fix the error?
I believe the paperwork has to go through your dealer in this case. Mine came to me because I was doing a Form 1.