• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Litton vs Norotos (facemask)

NoveSPR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Gov. Blago's Paradise
Looking to make a decision on purchasing a replacement for the USGI headmount for the PVS-14. Not crazy about helmets since this will be used primarily for hunting varmints, not people. That and my buddies will think I've finally gone off the deep end! Anyone with experience either way, I'd love to hear your opinion...

Re: Litton vs Norotos (facemask)

No experience with the Norotos , but the Litton uses their dovetail-interface . This would require the Wilcox j-arm to support the PVS-14 ...

Have you tried the "skull crusher" model that comes packaged in the PVS-14 kits for the ultimate in comfort fit ... designed by sadists to be worn by masochists.

All kidding aside, the Norotos face mask with NVG mount is a very comfortable, if not the most comfortable, for long term use. However, the weight of the gear does press on the face, and that can get annoying - especially if you're operating in humid, hot environs. Everyone has different preferences, I don't like equipment touching or leaning on my face. The leather covered face / head pads are more comfortable (breathe better) than the synthetic coverings, but will not hold up if exposed to marine or wet conditions.

Personally, I find a helmet mount system (with a decent retention system such as the Ops Core offerings) to be easier to get on and off in a snap. There's more loose webbing to deal with on the face mask systems and I find it takes more time, each time I put them on, to adjust for proper fit (than with a helmet mount).

Ops Core makes extremely lightweight "skateboard" style helmets that take NVG mounts. The term of art for their type is: "fast bump." The carbon fiber shells are really light, about 1/2 the weight of the kevlar ballistic helmets. They have more of a "sporting" look and don't give the appearance of a SWAT or infantry combat operation in progress. Some users who like the comfort of the helmet mount but who don't need impact protection, will cut away large portions of the helmet shell. The skeletonized helmet is ultra light and looks more like a webbing system than a helmet system.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to make a decision on purchasing a replacement for the USGI headmount for the PVS-14. Not crazy about helmets since this will be used primarily for hunting varmints, not people. That and my buddies will think I've finally gone off the deep end! Anyone with experience either way, I'd love to hear your opinion... </div></div>

IR-V has it about right on the face masks vs the helmet thing.

Aint no kidding about the Skull Crusher, it fits about 3% (ok maybe 4%) of the population and the rest just suffer. I have tried everything under the sun to try and make them work but ALAS nothing seems to. The Skull Crushers stability comes from the plastic halo as it wraps around your head. Problem is it is one size and the majority of heads out there are not that size.

The Norotos face mask is as described. Now the lack of some sort of ballast on the back does rely on the arms of the mask pushing down on your cheeks for stability. I have NOT tried any kind of a ballast bag hung off the back patch. As such the leather pads, sticking to your face, can be annoying if your out in hot weather. It comes in both the Wilcox Dove tail and the PVS 7/14 mount.

The Litton mask is a smaller profile with a tubular metal frame rather than the large plastic catchers mask feel of the Norotos. BOTH of their chin cups suck and this is the one (and ONLY) advantage that the skull crusher has, a better chin cup. You can scavenge the skull crushers chin cup for adaptation onto either of them. Works much better on the Norotos though. There are two versions of the Litton mask, One that has the mounting arm able to flip up and another that does not. As mentioned only available in the Wilcox dovetail.

They are lighter weight and cooler BUT when your wearing them they are completely strapped to your head and don't come off instantly. Last thing about them and I know your asking as a cooler alternative to a helmet BUT if you need to wear a hat (say, due to insects) with either, about your only option is an over-sized Boonie Cover.

Gotta agree completely on the helmet thing though. Putting either mask on is a lot of adjusting straps to get it just right. A lightweight helmet is easier to deal with in every aspect and the Ops Core Base Jump is a GREAT choice.

Now as an aid to cooling a helmet, there are a couple of options. As mentioned above, open the cooling vents up larger. ALSO there are cooling inserts that can be used, like the Cool Aid helmet liner.

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?M5COPY.ctx=26219&M5.ctx=26219

You soak them down with water, they absorb the water and fluff up and through evaporative cooling keep ya cool. As they dry out, splash a little more cool water in them and you are good to go.

I have both masks and in most cases I will simply grab my base Jump helmet over a mask. Now all that being said if your still set on the idea of a mask, if I had to pick between the three (1 Norotos and 2 Littons) I would go with the Litton version that flips up, just my preference.

Hope we haven't confused you further here.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

No confusion at all. I am quite appreciative of your informed opinion on all 3 options. To be honest, due to the info you've provided, I am going to take the time to consider the helmet as well even though it was not my first choice. As always, thanks for your opinions.

We have several Litton skull crusher masks. I could repeat much of what was said above, but won't, too well said above.

Use of a under-armor cool cover or the "cool-aid" from Brigade Quartermasters makes it a little better with the crusher in that you have head cover that somewhat pads the crusher and protects you from bugs. However:
Say you put the cover on your head, then put the crusher on, you are now fighting the cover into some kind of comfortable position under the crusher. This takes time, and every time you take a break and take all that off, you are back to the fight to get it on flat and smooth.
Try that in the dark, in a swamp, when you are hot and tired and ready to go home.
And if you want any other kind of hat/cover, it has to fit over the crusher mask.

Being a little cheap, I bought a skateboard helmet and modified a pasgt nvd strap mount with a mich plate on it. The skateboard helmet can be altered to open up the vents (may happen later this summer) and works fine with the under-armor heat gear head cover. Easy to take off and put back on.

The skateboard helmet was $35.00, The pasgt strap mount was $10.00 at the surplus store and the mich plate was free from unc.. The Base Jump helmet was $250.00.
I used the pasgt strap mount because the skateboard helmet does not have enough strength to take a mich/ach screw on the front plate and take the pop-up/down of the NVD.
Base Jump helmet has a better chin strap than the skateboard helmet, but a mich/ach strap is easy to install.
As said above, both the skateboard helmet and the base jump allow you to conviently counterweight the nvd, where the crusher does not.

I don't regret the skateboard helmet at all. Best of luck with your choice.

Another post about helmets in the board. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2517621&gonew=1#UNREAD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Have you tried the "skull crusher" model that comes packaged in the PVS-14 kits for the ultimate in comfort fit ... designed by sadists to be worn by masochists. </span>
</div></div>

Now that is funny!

Just for info, Ops-Core has their new "Skull-Crusher" about to hit the shelves this summer. Yes, they called it the "Skull-Crusher" and asked them in a few meetings we had, if they thought that was a good idea with the current market offering with that name? ;-)

Their new entry is quite good and we are going to be doing a review on it shortly.

Vic

With a product name like "Skull Crusher," Ops Core certainly has my attention! :)

Talking about new "entry," I'm waiting on delivery on their new "Sentry" helmet which promises to provide more strength, greater resistence to material breakdown from heat and moisture, less weight, and equivalent or better protection than aramid fiber helmets.

Ops Core Sentry ACH:
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ops-Core-Sentry.jpg

Now back to crushing skulls softly ... some sneak peeks on the Ops-Core "Skull Crusher:"

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ops-Core-Skull-Crusher.jpg

https://app.ecwid.com/image/7026409?ownerid=204041

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Have you tried the "skull crusher" model that comes packaged in the PVS-14 kits for the ultimate in comfort fit ... designed by sadists to be worn by masochists. </span>
</div></div>

Now that is funny!

Just for info, Ops-Core has their new "Skull-Crusher" about to hit the shelves this summer. Yes, they called it the "Skull-Crusher" and asked them in a few meetings we had, if they thought that was a good idea with the current market offering with that name? ;-)

Their new entry is quite good and we are going to be doing a review on it shortly.

Vic </div></div>

We will have the new skull crusher here next week. Will report back.

The ones we had at Shot Show were EXTREMELY comfortable. Just hate their name for the bad rap (rightfully so) for the real skull crushers!
eek.gif

The new Ops-Core Skull-Crushers appear to use a variant of the Occ-Dial that is at the crown of the assembly. It'll be interesting to know the pattern of tension applied by that type of arrangement.

On the product naming: between "skull hugger" and "skull crusher", they opted for the more warrior-like of the two options!

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We will have the new skull crusher here next week. Will report back.

The ones we had at Shot Show were EXTREMELY comfortable. Just hate their name for the bad rap (rightfully so) for the real skull crushers!
eek.gif
</div></div>