• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Live round stuck in chamber - now what?

Erud

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2005
.308 Bolt action rifle, shooting all day in a tactical type match, all of a sudden a very tight round gets stuck 95% of the way into the chamber and won't budge either way. Had to pound on the bolt handle with a hammer and block of wood to get the bolt open. Somehow the extractor hopped over the rim without tearing off the case head so the bolt is now out of the rifle but the round is still wedged in tight. How the heck do I get it out?!? Not really worried about why it is stuck at this time - I'll figure that out after I get the rifle cleared. I don't know if it's safe to try to tap it out with a dowel or cleaning rod or if there is tool for this? I've had the occasional round stick before but have never had anything quite like this. Any help from you gunsmith-types out there would be very much appreciated...

Thanks,
Erik

Re: Live round stuck in chamber - now what?

DO NOT just start smacking the round with a dowel to push it out. Had a member here try it a few weeks ago and blew up his rifle. Check this link if you want to see the possible repurcussions (magnified by a fit of rage) http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1284373&page=1

If you are asking this question, I would recommend taking the rifle to a gunsmith and have him deal with it rather than risk hurting yourself or the rifle.

Do not put anything down the bore, the barrel needs to be removed then a shellholder mounted in a slide hammer can be used to carefully remove the stuck cartridge, if your not familiar with the process then as recommended above, take it to a gunsmith.

I believe Brownell's does make a tool for pulling cartridges out that are stuck as you descibe. Considering the time to get the tool probably better to take it straight to a gunsmith.
Good luck.

Seen it done with a tool.
Take it to a smith.

If the bolt started to close(where it's using the locking cams to close) then it's in there with too much pressure to be tapped out from the muzzle.

Tap it out with a cleaning rod. It can't be that stuck.

What about removing the barreled action and firing pin assembly from the bolt. Placing the barreled action in the freezer for 4 or 5 hours?

Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tap it out with a cleaning rod. It can't be that stuck. </div></div>

If he had to hammer the bolt open, you can believe it is stuck good and tight. Remove the barrel,PERIOD!

Do not hammer, tap, beat, press, push, pry, slam or anything else on the tip of the stuck round. Take it to a smith and have the barrel removed so the live round can be removed safely. Do not ship the rifle off to a smith either, hand deliver it personally.

When a bolt handle fails to close smoothly on a chambered round, forcing the handle down further only complicates the situation. Always set the FL die up for that rifle, if you have two of the same caliber, you should have a separate set of FL dies for each. Unless two rifles were chambered with the same reamer and headspace set with the same gauge by the same smith, one setting on a FL die is not transferable from rifle to rifle or chamber to chamber. The pictures you see of blown up rifles should speak volumes concerning the hazards related to reloading / shooting. The rifles blew up for a reason, <span style="font-weight: bold">user error.</span>

Thanks for the advice, guys - I'm bringing it over to Jim Kobe's on Tuesday. I guess it's time for professional help since I've tried pounding with a 4# maul, heating with MAPP gas and drilling the primer out with a hammer drill - and nothing has worked!

Thanks,
Erik

PS - I'm only joking about the above.....