• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing live round stuck in chamber

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
I have a S&W M&P 9mm. I have reliable fed 800 rounds through it. both handloads and factory rounds. for the second time in the last 200 rounds i have a handload stuck in the chamber and the slide is stuck and i can not unchamber the round. I do not want to discharge the round for fear it may explode and im worried about forcing the slide. what is the proper method to get the live round out, and any ideas on why this is happening. i measured the rounds and they appear to be exact to all others i fired. it is a reload with hornady tap brass and hornady XTP 145 hollow point. OAL is 1.55 and the crimp at the bullet is .375 and case length of .749. thanks

Re: live round stuck in chamber

DO NOT try to push it with a cleaning rod. Ask me how I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brut4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO NOT try to push it with a cleaning rod. Ask me how I know.</div></div>

lol....you know who everyone was thinking of!!

Well let's say I have no desire to be anywhere near the muzzle! What is the proper method to free the slide?

How did you know it was stuck if you don't want to fire it? Were you shooting and then......what happened? Or??

Is the slide fully forward and the gun would fire if you pulled the trigger?

put some oil down the muzzle end and let it soak for a while, then take 5 or 6 cotton patches put them down the barrel and take a rod, and lightly tap it with something. The oil should help it slide back out. Or if you can try take the pistol apart and pull the barrel out and try to grab the rim with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I chambered the round, then changed plans. I took out the mag and pulled the slide back to free the chambered round and the slide would not budge but maybe an eigth of an inch. The slide is fully foward and everything appears to be put together just fine any ideas with out going through the muzzle.

does it have an external extractor????? If so take a small flat head screw driver and pry it back a little bit so its off the rm of the case and try and pull the slide back.

oooh oooh, i know this one from personal experimentation. you didn't size the case down enough- you can't see it, but if you use a case gauge, it will hang up and stick out just a thou or so- enough to screw you up in your guns chamber. turn your die down about a quarter turn and use a case gauge to make sure it will work.

for getting the loaded round out, freezer to contract it or oil to lube. or see if you can't rap the slide forward enough to get it to fire i'd advise staying away from the bang end- i like my eyes.

Brassman thank you for the help. Is it my sizing die or my taper die that needs to be turned down? As far as oiling it just squirt oil down the muzzle, or try to get it in where the opening is between the slide and barrel? There is no external extractor to pry as posted from an earlier reply. It appears that the slide is all the way foward should I just fire it?

Hold the slide in your left hand (whole hand grip on slide) and then hit the high point of the back of the grip with the web of your right hand. I reloaded some Glock brass with a RCBS die and had a similar problem.

Make sure the brass is clean before resizing and get a EGW sizing die.

My concern is forcong it will cause it to fire. This model gun has no safety. What are the odds this thing fires as I force the slide?

The pistol can't fire without pulling the trigger. The trigger bar depresses the firing pin safety which blocks the firing pin when resting.

I have heard of these style of handguns slam firering. Is that reallity or over inflated bull?

Your previous reloads may have been tight as well. If it's in battery, it should be safe to discharge. Then you only have to worry about getting out a stuck case. This seems like the safest route.

sizer die. yes, shoot it. just frustrating as hell when it happens cause you're sitting there trying to figure out what the hell you did!!. did it once and now swear by case gauges.

While I had posted a kinda extensive set of directions about this, I have reconsidered. This is a problem I'd maybe attack myself, but the only really good advice I can give is to take it to a reputable gunsmith and let them resolve the issue. They know what's wisest.

absolutely Greg, take it to a gunsmith! You could have more troubles than you know. And NEVER get in front of, or stick anything down a loaded chamber, oh my fucking shit that's a BAD idea!!!!!!!

I have a somewhat stupid question because I don't know shit about Pistols. Long Guns yes Pistols no. But he said the magazine is out of the pistol might this have locked the slide? Try putting the magazine back in and see if the slide releases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard of these style of handguns slam firering. Is that reallity or over inflated bull? </div></div>

Inflated bull. If you're worried you can poor PB blaster or WD40 down the barrel to neutralize the powder. Let it sit a day or two and then follow my earlier instructions. Once again, the M&P striker can not travel forward without the trigger pulled, the firing pin safety blocks the striker/firing pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman_Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">absolutely Greg, take it to a gunsmith! You could have more troubles than you know. And NEVER get in front of, or stick anything down a loaded chamber, oh my fucking shit that's a BAD idea!!!!!!!</div></div>

Obviously Marksman_Jack you don't know what you are talking about!

Take that there pistole' over to your Granddaddy's place and put it in the vise that he got when he worked in the steel mill. Make sure you got a good bite on the grip of that gun. (You may see a little deformation...) Now stick an old rusty screwdriver in the barrel and give er' a good solid whack with a sledge hammer. That'll get er' loose.

Seriously take it to a gunsmith if you don't have the knowlege, experience and tools to deal with this type of problem. Your life or someone else's isn't worth screwing around with a stuck cartridge.

Listen to Marksman_Jack he really does know what he is talking about
grin.gif

The gunsmith idea sounds like a good plan, but I would likely just shoot it. Once you get everything back to normal you might want to add an EGW undersize die to your set up. I'm also thinking at 1.55 you are loading your cartridges way too long. That could have a bullet being jammed into the rifling when the slide goes into battery.

As long as I was certain the load wasn't excessive, and the bore wasn't blocked, my first instinct would be to attempt firing (on a range with eye and ear protection, pulease...!).

She go clicky, no bangy; it's off to the gunsmith with this little piggy.

Standard gunsmithing practice is to tag a defective firearm (Danger, defective firearm, do not attempt to fire), and I wouldn't wait to get it to the smith before I made this happen.

Could putting oil down the barrel and then if that doesn't work attempting to fire it cause an over pressure issue?

If the chamber is locked in place you should be good to go unless your over length case has caused the bullet to jam into the casing farther which might increase the cup pressure to unsafe levels. Hmm, yeah, take it to a gunsmith, better to spend a little money to pretect the fingers unecessarily then risk a gun and hand.

BTW, 1.55 OAL is long for 9mm unless that gun has some special issue going on. Lyman has OAL at 1.169 and Hodgdon's loading center has the 147 gr Hornady XTP oal at 1.100

If I had already put something down the bore, I'd stop right there and take it to the smith. Danagerous firing it then? I don't know, and that's why I'd take it to the smith instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had already put something down the bore, I'd stop right there and take it to the smith. Danagerous firing it then? I don't know, and that's why I'd take it to the smith instead. </div></div>

yep.

Allow me to update the dimensions. i mistyped. The OAL length that I was running was 1.155 not 1.55. Sorry to add to the confusion. What I found odd was that this is the second time this happened. I have fired well over 800 rounds through the gun, and of that 200 hundred were various reloads. The measurements seem well within range and a confirmed them against several reloading manuals as well as measurements against factory ammo. Is it possible that with the hornady tap bullet with the deep hollow point that my standard measurement isnt working?

When I used to set up dies for a pistol round (I no longer own handguns), I would remove the barrel. If the dummy round (always my first round) wouldn't simply drop all the way into the chamber and then drop right back out, there was a problem with the die setup. Usually it was an OAL that was too long for the chosen bullet. Sometimes a more positive taper crimp was needed.

Sometimes a split neck will fold over double when chambering, causing a mechanical jam. Factory reloads can do this often enough, and so can a handloader unless they know what to look out for when they're reloading. Don't count on your non-visual senses when you're loading mags, this stuff can get by you if you're doing it all just by touch.

Friends, TV, these are all distraction;, and can lead to unanticipated difficulties. When you're handloading, handload, and forget about the multitasking; it's counterproductive.

Greg