• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Living in Vermont or NH questions

Blue_State_Captive

Big Bad Booty Daddy
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
Caledonia, NY
My family and I currently live in the wonderful liberal state of New York (born and raised), in the Finger Lakes area. My wife is the bread winner/sugar mama and my pay is not even in the same ball park. Though she has a virtual office from home, her company's home base in the USA is just outside of Boston. We are looking at the possibility of picking up and moving to the Class 3 states (that's what we jealous, liberal led gun lovers in NY call them) of Vermont or NH. So my questions:

1)We would be looking for land, probably 10++ acres and bordering state land would be a huge plus. What is the possibility of finding such land in these states and a rough idea of price per acre?

2)Or and old farmhouse/small homestead/fixer upper type set up with acreage? Maybe in a small farm town, reasonable drive to an airport.

3)Is there areas we should be looking at that would be similar to the Adirondacks? Or maybe near or on small lakes in wooded areas?

4)Since we are a transplant to one of these states, what is the nickel version of getting my paperwork in order to obtain full auto/burst weapons or suppressors in NH where legal? I have zero references/friends in those states and would be starting from scratch.

5)We would like to be within 4-5 hours of the Adirondacks in NY state. We vacation there a few times a year and don't want to give that up because of hours of drive time.

I'm sure discussion will bring out more questions, but I am hoping a resident in one of these states is a forum reader and can suggest areas to look and start to get familiar with.
Hear in New York, when I wanted land attached to State Land, I knew to go to the Southern Tier or if I had big $$$$, then the Adirondacks is the deal. I think you all get my point.

We are excited of this possibility. My wife loves her job and is getting a huge raise (when we leave NY, that means we get taxed LESS too) and I can be Mr. Mom for a while and work on our house, land or whatever. We have toys we want to still enjoy and bring with us, as well as embrace the freedoms of not living in New York but coming back to visit the parts we love.

Thank you all in advance

You will be double taxed. My wife wants to practice law in the state of California, so our compromise was to live on the border of a neighboring state. We would be double taxed if we did so its not worth it IMO. So here we are still in the great blue state of Indiana where suppressed hunting was just approved.

Have lived in NH since 1999, near the VT border. In terms of 1-3 & 5, there are areas in the "Upper Valley" that would fit your bill. I would get some of the real estate listings for Grafton and Sullivan Counties. Some towns, ie Lebanon, Hanover, Lyme, Etna, Orford (all in Grafton County), will be more pricey than others. From Leb, it is roughly a 2+ hour drive to the MA line heading towards Boston. About the same amount of time to Manchester airport. And probably about a 3-4 hour drive to NY, depending on how you go.

No state income tax, but they do try to make up the difference in property taxes. Some towns will also impose a "view tax", so if you get to look at something nice, like a mountain, you pay for it.

In terms of #4, all things class 3 are legal in NH. Suppressors are not in VT, due to F&G laws. When/if that will change, cannot tell you. I have done the Individual Form 4, without issue. You could also go the trust route as well. Several stores in NH that sell cans, select fire etc. You can open carry in NH, but a CCW for a resident is $10, and is not all that hard to get. Hope this helps.

1)We would be looking for land, probably 10++ acres and bordering state land would be a huge plus. What is the possibility of finding such land in these states and a rough idea of price per acre?

In NH near the Mass border, about $20k per acre as a starting price.

2)Or and old farmhouse/small homestead/fixer upper type set up with acreage? Maybe in a small farm town, reasonable drive to an airport.

Lots of those in NH. What do you consider a reasonable drive to BOS?

3)Is there areas we should be looking at that would be similar to the Adirondacks? Or maybe near or on small lakes in wooded areas?

Plenty of lakes in NH. Tons of wooded areas. Do you want rolling hills or mountains? The mountains are all up north, at least 2 hours from BOS.

4)Since we are a transplant to one of these states, what is the nickel version of getting my paperwork in order to obtain full auto/burst weapons or suppressors in NH where legal? I have zero references/friends in those states and would be starting from scratch.

No state requirement in NH, since that is federal law. CLEO signoff is required if you don't have a trust.

5)We would like to be within 4-5 hours of the Adirondacks in NY state. We vacation there a few times a year and don't want to give that up because of hours of drive time.

Google map.

I'm sure discussion will bring out more questions, but I am hoping a resident in one of these states is a forum reader and can suggest areas to look and start to get familiar with.

Answer my questions and I'll give more info. Generally, in NH, draw a line from Manchester Portsmouth and everything south of that line is 1 hour to BOS. That is also the more expensive area.

Thank you all in advance

Hope it helps.

I was just checking out NH, because I had recently learned about the Free State Project. Furthermore, some 30 years ago I toured the state by motorcycle and still have fond memories of the scenery and people.

What I learned is that the progressive movement is invading the lower half of the state and property taxes are extremely high. I live in Wisconsin - know for high property taxes - and NH is about 3 times more than here.

I was born and raised in Vermont way up on the Canadian border. It's beautiful and a mans handshake is his word. Burlington, which is a great spot to live, was only an hour from me. Gives you access to the airport and shopping and lots of microbrews. You still have the ability to shoot across fields at great distances, my buddy has 1080 off his porch, but taxes are fairly high in Vermont. Unfortunately, Vermont seems to be shrinking like all the others states since land is affordable and abundant. Your best bet is to figure out where you want to live and drive through the areas. Check all the general stores because most Vermonters don't post on the Internet because they hate it and typically only want locals to buy their land, but money talks and will sell to anyone.