• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes LMAO!!!! Sightron as good as NF.

smack

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2003
North Central Washington
I had to post this, I was on the Varminthunters.com and a guy was giving advise on scope selection and quality. I about fell out of my chair laughing and choked on my coffee. Quote bellow:

crazy.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

"I would say its a tie between Nightforce and Sightron, Not quite as good of a scope as the Nightforce, but VERY close in optical and construction quality and you have some serious cash left over if you go with the Sightron."

Re: LMAO!!!! Sightron as good as NF.

sightrons are very good for the money and i have looked thru several, their glass is very good, definetly very close to Nightforce in my opinion. All accounts state that they are reliable and track well, but Nightforce can be used as a baseball bat and Sightron can be used as a wiffle ball bat. They ar edefinetly not as robust as Nightforce scopes.

Not sure what your laughing about the guy shooting next to me had a Sightron and I had a NF 5.5-22X56. His glass what brighter and clearer.

However the NF is built like a tank.

I used a Sightron on a dog town 12 years ago and I think my right eye is still fuzzy from trying to make out PD's at distance through that crap glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sightrons are very good for the money and i have looked thru several, their glass is very good, definetly very close to Nightforce in my opinion. All accounts state that they are reliable and track well, but Nightforce can be used as a baseball bat and Sightron can be used as a wiffle ball bat. They ar edefinetly not as robust as Nightforce scopes. </div></div>

From my experience with the 2, I would agree with these statements. Sightron glass is pretty good.

I have to agree with the statements made. Sightron has came a LONG way in the last 10 years. I have a friend who uses one on a 340 Weatherby target rifle. The optics are very good and it tracks true. Hard to beat for the $. Keep in mind Sightron makes a few quality levels and his is the top one, and Nightforce makes only 1 (the best they can) I think that speeks volumes for the company.

I will agree. Sightron makes an excellent scope and I would say the optical quality is as good or a little better then Nightforce but the construction is not as robust.

12 years ago, understandable, but this is not your father's Sightron.

Products, like people, tend to be verbs. Nothing is static for long in the optics world. Look at the reliability of IOR scopes built now vs 4 years ago. No comparison.

That's why I tend not to comment on an optics brand if I haven't had first hand experience with them in the last 3 years or less. The weather changes all the time.

Scott

You're making me laugh. Sightron <span style="font-weight: bold">SIII</span> glass is too close to call with Nightforce glass. This opinion is not unique.

Strage I don't ever see Sightrons parked on long range rigs anywhere?? Must be the whole Pacific Northwest is not up to speed on this quality optic. Why buy a 5.5- 22 NF with zero stop and high speed knob when I can have 3 Sightrons for the same price. Must be the best kept secret in optics!
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strage I don't ever see Sightrons parked on long range rigs anywhere?? Must be the whole Pacific Northwest is not up to speed on this quality optic. Why buy a 5.5- 22 NF with zero stop and high speed knob when I can have 3 Sightrons for the same price. Must be the best kept secret in optics!
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Here is more of a tactical crowd though, and Sightron hasn't really offered tactical features in the past (although that is beginning to change). I think if you look at the 1000yd benchrest crew, you'll see more Sightrons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I about fell out of my chair laughing and choked on my coffee. </div></div>
Maybe the joke is on you.

There are a fair number of F class shooters going to SIIIs to save weight and money. If I hadn't have picked up my NF 32BR for a really good price here I'd be running a SIII on my F-TR rifle, and if I end up running into weight issues I may still.

If you need to beat someone with it then shoot it, the NF is the way to go, but for good glass at a good price that does the job it seems that the SIII is definitely worth a look.

Looks to me like the Sightrons aren't equal to the NF. They are just a good Option for the budget of it's devoted crowd. At least that's how I'm reading it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to post this, I was on the Varminthunters.com and a guy was giving advise on scope selection and quality. I about fell out of my chair laughing and choked on my coffee. Quote bellow:

crazy.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

"I would say its a tie between Nightforce and Sightron, Not quite as good of a scope as the Nightforce, but VERY close in optical and construction quality and you have some serious cash left over if you go with the Sightron." </div></div>

Not quite with you on this one Smack, I have both an NXS 8-32 and the new Sightron 6-24 MOA and at half the price of the NF the Sightron is superb - crystal clear glass, 100MOA of adjustment, solid clicks etc. The Sightron is certainly not half the scope even if it is half the money.

Mate of mine with several NF's is going with a Sightron for his new custom .338 build after seeing mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to post this, I was on the Varminthunters.com and a guy was giving advise on scope selection and quality. I about fell out of my chair laughing and choked on my coffee. Quote bellow:

crazy.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

"I would say its a tie between Nightforce and Sightron, Not quite as good of a scope as the Nightforce, but VERY close in optical and construction quality and you have some serious cash left over if you go with the Sightron." </div></div>

Not quite with you on this one Smack, I have both an NXS 8-32 and the new Sightron 6-24 MOA and at half the price of the NF the Sightron is superb - crystal clear glass, 100MOA of adjustment, solid clicks etc. The Sightron is certainly not half the scope even if it is half the money.

Mate of mine with several NF's is going with a Sightron for his new custom .338 build after seeing mine.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to post this, I was on the Varminthunters.com and a guy was giving advise on scope selection and quality. I about fell out of my chair laughing and choked on my coffee. Quote bellow:

crazy.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

Mate of mine with several NF's is going with a Sightron for his new custom .338 build after seeing mine.</div></div>

" Not quite with you on this one smack"

" The Sightron is certainly not half the scope even if it is half the money"

Then where are you???? You just said the Sightron isn't half the scope the NF is????????

I have a 36X Sightron SIII on my custom Savage 6.5-284. It's a good scope for the money, about 4 years old now. Tracks good up until recently on a trip out to West Virginia the windage just stopped moving for me. The elevation wasn't anywhere near maxed out since it was sitting in a 20 MOA base (which allows for a minimum zero range of 450 yards on my rifle). My buddy just finished his custom 6 Dasher for a dedicated 600 and 1000 yard benchrest rifle and put a 10-42X56 NF Benchrest scope on it. There's no comparison in my eyes, the Nightforce is far, far superior. The only thing I like better about my Sightron is the fine crosshair with 1/8 MOA dot. I think his is one of the NPR reticles. Personally, I'm a USO guy, but I don't have anything against NF or Sightron. To each his own.

Uh I own a Sightron SIII and I have compared it with a NXS and the SIII has every bit as good if not better glass than the NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to me like the Sightrons aren't equal to the NF. They are just a good Option for the budget of it's devoted crowd. At least that's how I'm reading it. </div></div>

Maybe you should do less reading and more comparing before formulating an opinion about 2 scopes which you have never even looked through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess I'll just leave the Sightron crowd to their own. </div></div>

I don't think you can even begin to call this place a "Sightron" crowd. There are a lot of NF fans here, I run one, but most of us are not sponsored by anyone, yes there are "fanboys" of one brand or another, but a lot of people here look at things and evaluate them based on merit, not the label on the side. There are folks here who can afford to run nothing but the very best, and those guys will have what they want, but for the rest of us price matters.

The general agreement you got was that that if you need a scope that you can drag through the rocks and fall on and still have it work like you're life depends on it get a NF,(or a S&B or a USO) otherwise the SIII will do the job and leave enough money in your pocket for a new McMillian or a Manners or a few months of bullets for target practice.

So many of you on these forums talk about 'ruggedness' of scopes. I just want to know, how many of you actually even ever do anything to the scope that would need this? I've taken my rifle everywhere from bench shooting, to hunting , to shooting from mountains/nature. So I feel like that between all those that covers most of the type of situations people on here shoot from.

I <span style="font-weight: bold">can</span> understand the need in the military, where your life is on the line and in battle things can get messy, and if your rifle was just run over by a car its a life or death situation and you want to have the most rugged thing. Otherwise, what do you guys do to your rifle's?! Do people hit their scopes with a hammer pre-shot for good luck? You don't need your scope to withstand an atom bomb if noone's throwing nukes.

At the end of the day, no matter how rugged, the glass is glass. So if anything hits the glass with enough force no matter what the scope it, it will shatter the lens and make it unusable.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you guys mean by ruggedness, and if so then I'd appreciate someone to clarify. But otherwise I don't understand why thats a big issue for people on here.

Actually if you have get pitched off a motorcycle or atv while hunting you'll know why a rugged scope is nice to have. I've had my swaro knocked 8 minutes out just from being on my back while I went down. The scope didn't hit anything other than some small pine branch ends. And no, glass is not glass. There are huge differences in the glass and more importantly in the tube protecting it. Bend the tube near the glass and it'll break it.

I actually think it's funny that you keep braging on the NF 5.5-22 SFP? You couldn't pay me or half the tactical shooters out there to run a SFP scope.

Keep talking the more you do the more you prove to us your clueless.

NF is a great scope without question. However it appears you have no time behind NF optics or other optics for that matter to even begin to make a post like this.

Hey Park,

Maybe you should take that blind fold off, your running your suck blind. You haven't a Clue what your talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually if you have get pitched off a motorcycle or atv while hunting you'll know why a rugged scope is nice to have. I've had my swaro knocked 8 minutes out just from being on my back while I went down. The scope didn't hit anything other than some small pine branch ends. And no, glass is not glass. There are huge differences in the glass and more importantly in the tube protecting it. Bend the tube near the glass and it'll break it. </div></div>
Ok, thats understandable. I guess It goes back to me assuming that companies like vortex/sightron etc... produce scopes that are already rugged enough for 'small' hits like that. I wasn't comparing nightforce to tasco, I meant to compare their ruggedness to midline and other highline scopes, that already offer a good amount of durability.

He probably looked through a twelve year old Sightron SI, but is too smart to realize they have three grades of glass.

I'm betting the context of the comment on Varminthunter.com was comparing a Sightron SIII to a Nightforce BR. These two scopes are very similar, including price.

In case anyone has not noticed, NF has undergone major changes and not for the good by most accounts. In reality there is "OLD" NF and the "NEW" NF.

Seems that the current story going around is that Jeff Huber, long time President was forced out by the Marketing manager (This is the same guy who broke all the distributorship agreements with the original distributors who helped make NF) is now going to be the NF president. It is said he is "personal friends" with the actual owner and kind of looks like he wanted Jeffs job now.

Cabelas is selling NF now. How is that for a marketing plan?

Next to go will probably be the dealers. Who needs them when you have Cabelas right?

Production is up, quality is down(?) and "return scopes" are up I hear.

I have 4 NF (all old mftr), but Sightrons are looking very good with the super glass clarity, quality and price (50% or less of NF) at least in the non combat arena for sure.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't own a NF or a Sightron....

In comparison, I wouldn't have owned a bushnell 3 years ago...
but now I have an HDMR and love it....

companies and products change......

I have both. I've got a Sightron S3 6-24x50 LRMD and a NF 5.5-22x50 NPR1/MOA ZS,HS. As far as optical clarity goes, through my eyes, I say they're pretty much tied. As far as build quality goes, NF is built like a tank, it's hefty and should take tons of abuse. NF turrets feel way better than the Sightrons, positive and crisp clicks. NF has more reticle options and can be upgraded.

Sightron build quality is ok but looks fragile but then again, Sightron is a hunting scope, not really a tactical scope. Turrets on the Sightron are a bit mushy but expected of a hunting scope. No illumination on the the Mil-Dot reticle, limited reticles, no matching turrets on mine but the current models have that option. That's not necessarily comparing apples to apples when you compare a tactical scope to a hunting/bench type scope. I haven't handled the 2011 Sightrons yet so I can't comment on that. I have to admit that Sightron customer service is excellent. my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both. I've got a Sightron S3 6-24x50 LRMD and a NF 5.5-22x50 NPR1/MOA ZS,HS. As far as optical clarity goes, through my eyes, I say they're pretty much tied. As far as build quality goes, NF is built like a tank, it's hefty and should take tons of abuse. NF turrets feel way better than the Sightrons, positive and crisp clicks. NF has more reticle options and can be upgraded.

Sightron build quality is ok but looks fragile but then again, Sightron is a hunting scope, not really a tactical scope. Turrets on the Sightron are a bit mushy but expected of a hunting scope. No illumination on the the Mil-Dot reticle, limited reticles, no matching turrets on mine but the current models have that option. That's not necessarily comparing apples to apples when you compare a tactical scope to a hunting/bench type scope. I haven't handled the 2011 Sightrons yet so I can't comment on that. I have to admit that Sightron customer service is excellent. my $.02</div></div>

Well, there is the first real reply to carries some weight.

I had a Sightron S3 6-24x50 LRMD, and the only reason I got rid of it was because it was of the mil/MOA variety, and I prefer hash marks to the Sightron mildots. No it's not a NXS, but at half the price, it's a damn good buy for the money. The optical clarity on the SIII was excellent. I strongly disagree that Sightron S3's are a POS. To each their own, put them side by side and make your own decision.

To anyone with a Sightron, how is the customer service and the warranty? I am looking at a second scope and will most likely go with another NF, but I am interested to hear about any quality control issues or customer service issues. Thanks.

What's the point of this thread? Let people use what they want. Who cares. I have used both and didn't notice any real difference. I believe like others have said that the NF is more robust. But one should expect that for the price tag. They both work. People have different opinions and different budgets. Not all of us sit around the house jerking off to our optics and defending every last comment made about them on the net. Smack you seem like a real dolt! This thread is another classic example. We should all be concerned with debating topics with logic (not ignorance), sharing our experiences to help each other become better shooters and helping new shooter along. These types of threads offer none of the above. Rant over!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BountyHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In case anyone has not noticed, NF has undergone major changes and not for the good by most accounts. In reality there is "OLD" NF and the "NEW" NF.

Seems that the current story going around is that Jeff Huber, long time President was forced out by the Marketing manager (This is the same guy who broke all the distributorship agreements with the original distributors who helped make NF) is now going to be the NF president. It is said he is "personal friends" with the actual owner and kind of looks like he wanted Jeffs job now.

Cabelas is selling NF now. How is that for a marketing plan?

Next to go will probably be the dealers. Who needs them when you have Cabelas right?

Production is up, quality is down(?) and "return scopes" are up I hear.

I have 4 NF (all old mftr), but Sightrons are looking very good with the super glass clarity, quality and price (50% or less of NF) at least in the non combat arena for sure.

</div></div>

I have noticed no change in the quality of my NF optics from 4 years ago versus the newer models. In fact my older models are gone to make room for the newer models. New reticles, HS knobs and zero stop have made tactical style shooting much easier on the shooter.

I have NEVER had to return a NF scope for it being their fault. I did have one knob break and it was my fault, they still would not take my money for the repair. Their customer service is top class.

I worked for the L.S. Starrett company for years, makers of micrometers, etc.

I can remember when we used to laugh at Mitutoyo gauges.

The worm can turn in very short order.

Do not criticize that which you do not understand.

Just sayin'

Sightron customer service is spot on. I had an issue on my SII Big Sky 6.5-20x50 with the parallax adjustment. Called them, they asked the normal tech questions (did you try it on a different rifle and reset it up JUST to make sure it is not over-tight?) Asked me to send it in. In a week they sent me a brand spanking new one without question.

Yes, good customer service.

I own a NF 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 and side by side with my SII Big Sky, optical clarity is very close. It is very close for a young guy with good eyes.

Turrets on the NF are tight (as in, not sloppy or squishy), firm clicks, and always repeatable. I have dialed from 100-600 and back again dozens of times with NO issue.

Sightron has "kinda" squishy movement, but accurate and repeatable. In a hurry, yeah, I would probably spin right past where I needed to be, but can always dial back.

For what I use the scopes for, they are exactly what I want. I wanted a rugged scope that would most likely hold zero if I tripped and fell while hunting. I shoot 600+ with my win mag, and I need dead nuts reliability. Hence, nightforce.

For my range gun, the sightron is repeatable and rugged enough for its intended use.

YMMV. As for optical clarity, I would put them on par with each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron customer service is spot on. I had an issue on my SII Big Sky 6.5-20x50 with the parallax adjustment. Called them, they asked the normal tech questions (did you try it on a different rifle and reset it up JUST to make sure it is not over-tight?) Asked me to send it in. In a week they sent me a brand spanking new one without question.

Yes, good customer service.

I own a NF 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 and side by side with my SII Big Sky, optical clarity is very close. It is very close for a young guy with good eyes.

Turrets on the NF are tight (as in, not sloppy or squishy), firm clicks, and always repeatable. I have dialed from 100-600 and back again dozens of times with NO issue.

Sightron has "kinda" squishy movement, but accurate and repeatable. In a hurry, yeah, I would probably spin right past where I needed to be, but can always dial back.

For what I use the scopes for, they are exactly what I want. I wanted a rugged scope that would most likely hold zero if I tripped and fell while hunting. I shoot 600+ with my win mag, and I need dead nuts reliability. Hence, nightforce.

For my range gun, the sightron is repeatable and rugged enough for its intended use.

YMMV. As for optical clarity, I would put them on par with each other.</div></div>

That's an interesting assessment. The glass on my SIII is on par with my NF and SS 5-20, similar to other people's assessments here. I heard rumors that the SII big sky's were SII's with SIII grade glass. I've messed with a standard SII and wasn't impressed, but I heard from people that have them that the big sky's were a completely different animal...closer to the SIII.

What Sightron told me was that the Big Sky was an SIII with a 1" tube. Internals are supposed to be best yet (for the 1" tube animal).

Thanks for the info, I'll probably go with a Big Sky then for my upcoming hunting rig. The 30mm SIIIs are a little big for a lightweight hunter in my opinion.

Good to see a lot more people share my thoughts on the SIII's glass quality, it's now convinced me to buy another Sightron. Thanks SMACK!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the point of this thread? Let people use what they want. Who cares. I have used both and didn't notice any real difference. I believe like others have said that the NF is more robust. But one should expect that for the price tag. They both work. People have different opinions and different budgets. Not all of us sit around the house jerking off to our optics and defending every last comment made about them on the net. Smack you seem like a real dolt! This thread is another classic example. We should all be concerned with debating topics with logic (not ignorance), sharing our experiences to help each other become better shooters and helping new shooter along. These types of threads offer none of the above. Rant over!</div></div>

Bla, bla, bla....

Thanks Ogreshooter, I may disagree with the majority of the posts but your post almost makes me want to pick up a SIII to see if I'm missing something.I guess it wouldn't be any worse than trying a Vortex. Which is being repaired under warranty right now because it crashed and lost repeatability.

Smack I have used both and and it is like I said both NF and Sightron have great glass. But in durability NF will take a lot more abuse. Were I to need a scope to go through hell and still fuction NF would be my choice. But were I after a scope to take normal wear and tear while not breaking the bank Sightron SIII would be my choice.

On Sightrons product lines. The SI and SII lines are a completely different animal then the SIII line. So think what you like but Sightron makes some really nice products that are backed up by an excellent warranty but they also offer some shitty products.

Alright, I'll bite. I've owned a 5.5-22X50 NF, and currently own an SIII 6-24X50, Super Sniper 5-20X50, and NF 2.5-10X32 (although that's irrelevant to this comparison). While I never compared the NF directly with the SS, I did compare both directly with the Sightron. The glass on all three were very close with the slightest edge to the Sightron. I would not be surprised if all three used the same glass (all are sourced from Japan). I think the only reason the Sightron had the edge was because it had a finer parallax adjustment since it's a target scope.

The Sightron's construction is nowhere near as tough as the other two since it's designed as a TARGET scope. Everything about it reaks of F-class shooting and the last time I checked, F-class competitors did not drag their rifles through mountains to get to the bench. The SS and NF are clearly superior to it in terms of features and durability because they're designed for rougher tactical use.

As far as the original quote posted on a varmint hunter's forum...varmint hunters tend to set up on portable table or bed of a pickup with a pack of beers (maybe just my friends) and pick off whatever is eating their crops. Durability doesn't matter to them so its no surprise that the Sightron looks the equal of the NF.

But now for the real question......

Can either of these scopes compare to the Counter Sniper
laugh.gif
wink.gif