• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT 308 SS chamber dimension surprise

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
My chrome barrel had a 2.40 (aprox) length to lands and grooves. The new 18" SS barrel measures 2.816 to the L&G's. The Kac mag has a usable ID of 2.832. This means I could actually get my bullets .002 away from the l&g's if I wanted to. This is the first semi-auto I have owned that had a chamber tighter than the mag.

Just an FYI for those buying the SS barrel.

Re: LMT 308 SS chamber dimension surprise

Wow. Thanks for that info. I'll have to check my barrel when it gets here. Loading max mag length could cause high pressure or trying to clear the chamber of a loaded round could create a mess!

That is interesting.

I have been loading my 175smk's to 2.802"(avg) and my 178gr amax's to 2.800". This has given me promising results if I can do my part, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to experiment with seating depth?

Measured 11 fired brass casings and got an average of 1.612 head space. The new ammo I was shooting measures 1.6115.