• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT 308 with suppressor

afd77

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Ohio
I have a LMT 308 MWS and just mailed my Form 4 in for a suppressor. Is there anything you would recommend to make the rifle more suppressor friendly? I thought about a heavier buffer and/or adjustable gas block, but am not sure if this is really necessary. PRI makes an adjustable gas block that looks like it may fit the LMT, but I haven't taken any measurements to compare. This is used as a long range gun so I'm not going to be doing mag dumps with it. Any recommendations?

Re: LMT 308 with suppressor

mine ran flawlessly stock with an AAC 762 SD just added a PRI gas buster charging handle.

How long is your barrel and gas system? I wouldn't want to mess with the factory gas system if I didn't have to. The cheap and easy solution would be some RTV silicone where the charging handle meets the upper, so you don't get gas in your face. Once you start down the road of changing gas blocks and/or springs, buffers, etc you are flirting with reliability issues.

It's an 18" SS barrel with rifle length gas system. I'll go with a Gasbuster for sure, just wanted to make sure I'm covering all the bases. I already changed the buffer over to a rifle buffer to run with a PRS stock. No reliability problems with that, but didn't know if I would need a heavier buffer with the suppressor. I appreciate the help.

You should have minimal gas issues with that system and a Gasbuster. I would shoot it and see, hopefully you don't have to do anything. If there is a little gas, try the RTV trick, but I would talk to LMT before changing to a heavier buffer.

I was looking at my LMT MWS charging and it is shaped a lot like my PRI gas buster on my Mark 12 MOD 0 clone. It has the same ears that come down over the receiver to divert gas. I would try it out before you spend the money, unless you just want one. Sure seems like it was designed with suppresors in mind.

I just read an article in Combat Arms about urban training and all trainees used the LMT MWSs, Surfire brakes and cans. Not a word about gas problems. FWIW

Thanks for the info guys.

I am on the verge of purchasing an aac 762sdn for use on my 20" SS mws later this summer.

However, since going to the 20" barrel I have started getting 1-2 o clock ejection which many say is due to being overgassed. Is this correct, and will adding a suppressor only cause the issue to get worse?

This happens with factory ammo and handloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1ajunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am on the verge of purchasing an aac 762sdn for use on my 20" SS mws later this summer.

However, since going to the 20" barrel I have started getting 1-2 o clock ejection which many say is due to being overgassed. Is this correct, and will adding a suppressor only cause the issue to get worse?

This happens with factory ammo and handloads. </div></div>

The mws has an ejection issue. You need to email or call Gene at LMT. I had the same problem and I am on my 2nd new part to solve the issue. I was told this part will work. I was asked to keep the part top secret for now. Call Gene.

I can tell you its like nothing you have ever seen before.

From time to time clean the gas tube. Didnt do mine and ended up having to be replaced. The sign to clean or replace is gas blow back even with the gasbuster. Since I did that no longer have gas blow back at all also seems to run a lil cleaner as well. Other than that you will have no problems at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1ajunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am on the verge of purchasing an aac 762sdn for use on my 20" SS mws later this summer.

This happens with factory ammo and handloads. </div></div>

Mine ejects at 1-2 o'clock as well.

afd77,

That is interesting to hear your 18" barrel ejects at 1-2 o clock. I would be interested to hear where the stock 16" barrel ejects as I really can't remember back to when I had mine.

Anyway, I emailed gene last night and the response this morning was simply "attach the suppressor and don't worry about it". I would say that means it should be good to go.

I have owned both the 16/18 barrel and both ejected 1-2 o-clock. The gun has ejection issues as I stated above and no one seemed to read. The gun is overgassing and bouncing the brass around. The sure sign of this is dings in the front of the ejection port. I also get a random FTJ (fail to eject) as the brass bounces around. Call Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned both the 16/18 barrel and both ejected 1-2 o-clock. The gun has ejection issues as I stated above and on one seemed to read. The gun is overgassing and bouncing the brass around. The sure sign of this is dings in the front of the ejection port. I also get a random FTJ (fail to eject) as the brass bounces around. Call Gene</div></div>

I will drop Gene an e-mail. I understand he wants you to keep the part top secret, but can you elaborate on what's causing the ejection issues? I have to say that while my rifle ejects at around 2 o'clock, the brass all ends up in the same spot, and in almost 350 rounds I've not suffered a failure to eject, or any other malfunction for that matter.
Apparently you've not been as lucky.

ETA: I just went down and examined my rifle. No dings or brass marks on the front of the ejection port. Lots of brass markings on the deflector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned both the 16/18 barrel and both ejected 1-2 o-clock. The gun has ejection issues as I stated above and on one seemed to read. The gun is overgassing and bouncing the brass around. The sure sign of this is dings in the front of the ejection port. I also get a random FTJ (fail to eject) as the brass bounces around. Call Gene</div></div>

I will drop Gene an e-mail. I understand he wants you to keep the part top secret, but can you elaborate on what's causing the ejection issues? I have to say that while my rifle ejects at around 2 o'clock, the brass all ends up in the same spot, and in almost 350 rounds I've not suffered a failure to eject, or any other malfunction for that matter.

ETA: I just went down and examined my rifle. No dings or brass marks on the front of the ejection port. Lots of brass markings on the deflector. </div></div>

Afd77, your experience sounds exactly like mine. After emailing gene I believe I am just going to suppress and call it good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned both the 16/18 barrel and both ejected 1-2 o-clock. The gun has ejection issues as I stated above and on one seemed to read. The gun is overgassing and bouncing the brass around. The sure sign of this is dings in the front of the ejection port. I also get a random FTJ (fail to eject) as the brass bounces around. Call Gene</div></div>

ETA: I just went down and examined my rifle. No dings or brass marks on the front of the ejection port. Lots of brass markings on the deflector. </div></div>

OK well maybe you are not having the problem I am. I saw a Youtube from gene shooting thousands of rounds out the new improved LMT and the brass was landing at 3 o-clock. If the front of your ejection port is not dinged and you have no ftj issues you might not have the problem I have.

The fact that the brass is ejecting to 2 o'clock is a little concerning, but I'd be a lot more concerned if it wasn't all landing in the same spot or the front of the ejection port was showing brass marks like yours is. In my experience with over-gassed AR's, the brass not only goes forward, but also gets thrown in a pretty wide pattern from being bounced around, as you said. I think I'll add a Gasbuster CH (I sold my factory one in favor of a BCM Gunfighter) and shoot it with the suppressor. If things need adjusted I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

My MWS has dings on the forward portion of the ejection port. When using a suppressor, it is VERY gassy. I would say it is extremely over gassed when the can is added.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that the brass is ejecting to 2 o'clock is a little concerning, but I'd be a lot more concerned if it wasn't all landing in the same spot or the front of the ejection port was showing brass marks like yours is. In my experience with over-gassed AR's, the brass not only goes forward, but also gets thrown in a pretty wide pattern from being bounced around, as you said. I think I'll add a Gasbuster CH (I sold my factory one in favor of a BCM Gunfighter) and shoot it with the suppressor. If things need adjusted I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

</div></div>

Yeah my brass lands all over the place. Mostly 12/1/2 and on the table next to the gun. Its crazy.....

at about 45 seconds you'll see the brass landing on the table
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQVQ18jeNcM

and the rifle jamming on an ftj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dILEfaiAU

Have you tried heavier buffer/buffer spring? My 308 was pretty overgassed & adding weights to the carrier got it under control.

edit: before I added weights it ejected forwards about 1 o'clock, with weights it's about 230ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried heavier buffer/buffer spring? My 308 was pretty overgassed & adding weights to the carrier got it under control.

edit: before I added weights it ejected forwards about 1 o'clock, with weights it's about 230ish. </div></div>

Which weight did you add (link)?
Was it a factory complete rifle?
I would think the factory would be responsible for making it work.
Did your rifle fail to eject?

heavybuffers.com

Might try here. Not as cheap as I expected. Says they are good for use with suppressors or just for taming recoil. Would also help with over-pressure I imagine.
That said problemchild, I would expect a gun from the factory to work as it should, and LMT should make it right if it isn't.

A lot of interesting info in this thread.

Problemchild, Those videos you posted certainly do show that some mws's have an erratic ejection pattern.

It seems that the longer barrels for the mws are slightly overgassed based on some responses in this thread and the youtube videos. I hate to go messing with buffers or changing the gas system on my mws to run with a suppressor.

What kind of negative effects can be expected if left in the current setup and adding a suppressor?

m1ajunkie-

The responses in this thread seem to lean that way, but I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around that. The only way that can be is if the gas ports are drilled larger in the longer barrels. That may be the case, but otherwise the pressure should be reduced when switching from a carbine length gas system to a rifle length.

I'm not sure mine is over pressured as it sits now. The fact that the brass is hitting the deflector and not the front of the ejection port is a good thing. If you look at the difference in brass deflectors between a standard AR-15 upper and the one on the MWS, there is quite a bit of difference in the angles. The AR-15 deflector is angle back and up, while the MWS deflector is straight out and then rounded. Most of the brass marks on mine are in the flat area of the deflector, which makes me think the brass is hitting the deflector and being thrown forward. I may be way off, but it makes sense in my head.

afd77,

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the "flat" deflector" on the mws causes the 1-2 o clock ejection. I was also thinking this sqaured off deflector could be designed to eject at 1-2 o clock to be more comfortable for lefty shooter. Like you I only have brass marks on the deflector, and you are right that the rifle gas system should be a little easier operating.

There doesn't seem to be many of the longer barrel out yet to get info on. Each forum I'm a member of only has 1 or 2 mws's different barrels so I think once the barrels become more popular additional info will be available.

I just can't remember how the rifle acted when the 16" barrel was installed. I don't have it anymore to test, but I am curious how rifles with the 16" barrel act from the factory.

I sold my 16" barrel as well, and also can't remember what it's ejection pattern was. I have noted in my datebook that I had one failure to feed while running the 16" barrel, but it was caused by a magazine. The bottom line for me is when the suppressor is in hand I will shoot it as is, and if it warrants a heavier buffer than so be it. Since I'm not having failures a 2 o'clock ejection pattern doesn't bother me in the slightest. I was hoping to have a few more responses from people who have shot these suppressed, and whether or not they ended up needing a heavier buffer. If that was the case I'd have it and be ready to go.

How many of you guys still have the original buffer tube, spring and buffer that came with the rifle? I know a lot of people have taken theirs off to put different stocks on them.

The MWS factory tube has three additional venting holes in the adjuster holes in addition to the single hole in the end. I'm wondering if the combination of the SOPMOD stock and tube time the rifle correctly and changing it screws with the timing. I'm sure LMT would have used this combo to adjust the gas port size to test their rifles. If your using the factory parts you should expect it to run correctly but if you have changes in parts how can you blame it on the manufacturer?

Like I stated before about the urban training, everyone used the same stock rifle with the same cans at this training. If these ten rifles were having problems you would think the author would have said something negative, instead he states he liked the system so much that he goes and buys one at full retail after the training. Mine is original and I have never had an issue with mine ejecting. This could change tomorrow when my .260 barrel finally arrives at my door. .260s in the AR10 platform seem to throw a monkey wrench into the reliability for many.

I do think that in Problemchild's video it seems like his cycling is much faster than mine is. I have never taken a video of mine but it feels more like a like a super-fast bolt action manipulation and two distinct motions and his just seems a lot faster, to me it looks more like an AR15 cycling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My MWS has dings on the forward portion of the ejection port. When using a suppressor, it is VERY gassy. I would say it is extremely over gassed when the can is added. </div></div>

Most any gasser (semi auto rifle) is going to over gas when a suppressor is installed. That is just a characteristic of them. Unless you have an upper built specifically to run a can, you are going to see over gassing. Your only options would be to get an adjustable gas block like the JP RIFLES model or Noveske Switchblock which is still in development for the AR10 platforms. It IS coming along butt they said 4-6 months before they can see it shipping out.

What's the British army using on their suppressed version?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the British army using on their suppressed version? </div></div>

Since they have Surefire adapters/flash supressors on the barrels, I'm gonna guess Surefire cans.

I havent heard or read anything specific though.

It would be best to hand load and drop the powder down a few grains to run a can. Gene said mine blew up from over pressure with a can on it. It was a new used gun for me and apparently already had been over pressured. Mine blew up with factory ammo and a can. Gene treated me right though but wanted me not to shoot hot reloads through it.

332y1d5.jpg

Is this what is considered bad? With a batch of brand new brass I'm getting 2 distinct dents, one on the case neck and one half way down the case body. Same size and placement on all 50 rounds.

This is w/o a suppressor but all brass lands 1-2 in front of the bench about 5 feet away from the rifle.

The full auto vids are enlightening since if thats how it is SUPPOSED to eject mine is definitely acting different.

PS: it has run flawless with 150 rounds so far. I have no complaints, signs of pressure or blowback in my face. But if something is wrong with the function I want to remedy it before I have a catastrophic failure. Or it would be nice to go easier on the brass as I dont know how many uses I can get out of each case with 2 or more noticeable dents in them every time they're shot.