• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT barrel swaps POI

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I’m considering having a spare 20” 5.56 barrel converted to an LMT barrel extension for my MRP upper. My LMT is an 11.5” SBR topped with a NF 1-8 ATACR.

I think it would be sweet to swap barrels and stretch it out to further distances with the 20” barrel. I’m curious what your experience is with the POI between barrels. Example: zero optic to 11.5” barrel, swap in 20” barrel, mark turret for 20” barrel zero then swap back to 11.5 and original zero. If I would have to adjust the zero each time I swap barrels, then I’d rather not do it.

You’ll lose about 400 fps in velocity going between the two so...you’ll have to know your dope really good.

LMT has very minimal POI so that shouldn’t be too much issue...

You’ll lose about 400 fps in velocity going between the two so...you’ll have to know your dope really good.

LMT has very minimal POI so that shouldn’t be too much issue...
That's why I am wanting to have two initial zeros for each barrel. My 11.5" barrel as my primary zero, then zero the optic for the 20" barrel. Note the settings for the 20" barrel. Swap barrels and revert to the zero. That's why I am curious if I swapped barrels if I would see a POI shift if everything was torqued down the same each time. Essentially like an AR15 version of an AI.

The LMT guns seem to have really good return to zero as long as the torque is the same, which is the important part. I have a 16" that came on my LMT but moved to a 13"LW for it as well and they both go back to where they are supposed to.

Have you taken your current barrel in and out and observed a shift? That should tell you everything you need to know. IDK what your intended purpose is but you'll probably end up wanting more scope for it to milk the accuracy unless you really love shooting the longer distances with the LPVO. You could always just build a 20" dedicated upper as well.

Reactions: wade2big
Yup. Consistent torque helps.

POI shifts on LMT guns will be minimal...however there is always “some”...

The LMT guns seem to have really good return to zero as long as the torque is the same, which is the important part. I have a 16" that came on my LMT but moved to a 13"LW for it as well and they both go back to where they are supposed to.

Have you taken your current barrel in and out and observed a shift? That should tell you everything you need to know. IDK what your intended purpose is but you'll probably end up wanting more scope for it to milk the accuracy unless you really love shooting the longer distances with the LPVO. You could always just build a 20" dedicated upper as well.

The 20” barrel is more for local PRS matches. 90% of shots for hunting or shooting ranges are well within 11.5” territory in my area. I have to drive 3hrs in order to shoot at a range with targets to 1200 yards. Since this spare barrel is just sitting in a box, might as well find some use for it.

I’m considering having a spare 20” 5.56 barrel converted to an LMT barrel extension for my MRP upper. My LMT is an 11.5” SBR topped with a NF 1-8 ATACR.

I think it would be sweet to swap barrels and stretch it out to further distances with the 20” barrel. I’m curious what your experience is with the POI between barrels. Example: zero optic to 11.5” barrel, swap in 20” barrel, mark turret for 20” barrel zero then swap back to 11.5 and original zero. If I would have to adjust the zero each time I swap barrels, then I’d rather not do it.
it would be hard to say since it wouldn’t be a factory barrel.

I had D. Wilson spin up an 18in Satern 6.5G barrel for the LMT MRP platform. There is about 2MOA MOA shift from 5.56 barrel to 6.5G barrel.

I initially did this test at 25m with the optic zeroed for the 18in SS 5.56 barrel. The POI between the two calibers at 25M was barely discernable. I moved the targets to 100m and fired the 6.5G group first, then re-installed the 5.56 barrel. Not exactly a true return-to-zero barrel swap but I also didnt torque the bolts back to the exact point either, the included torque wrench leaves something to be desired. Still, close enough that re-zeroing wouldnt be a huge issue between barrel swaps

My POA was the bottom right hand corner of the respective black square.

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_162950_087.jpg
    IMG_20210311_162950_087.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: