• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT Bent Firing Pin

TXRattler07

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2022
Arkansas
So I'm up late cleaning guns for a range trip tomorrow (yes, I procrastinate until the night before) and while cleaning my MARS 308, I noticed a significant off-centered mark on the firing pin. I clean it up and roll tested it; it has got a noticeable bend in it. It's not terrible, but noticeable to the trained eye. I began thinking about my last trip to the range where I had a primer blow on what I thought was new factory ammo, but was in fact (DRT brand) factory reloads in Federal brass. It's got to be when it happened. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. Would you still run it as is while waiting for a replacement firing pin or play it safe and put it back in the safe for now?

Attachments

• 20240223_223543.jpg
    20240223_223543.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 58
Personally I would decide to spend additional time with other toys. This why I keep spares.
Thanks for the reply. I slept over it and decided to leave it at home. I'm bummed about it, but you're right; I don't want to risk losing something else on it after all the time (YEARS) and effort I've put into the build.

Thanks for the reply. I slept over it and decided to leave it at home. I'm bummed about it, but you're right; I don't want to risk losing something else on it after all the time (YEARS) and effort I've put into the build.
smart move

that said, LMT qc is really and issue of late. Their CS is no better, not happy with them at all

• Wow
Reactions: Naaman
smart move

that said, LMT qc is really and issue of late. Their CS is no better, not happy with them at all
No, don't bother trying to order parts through them. Manufacture direct is often more expensive from my experience anyway. I just order the firing pin today from V1 Tactical. Leaving the rifle home and paying $52 (bought two this time) is worth piece of mind and cheap insurance for a good range day (which was amazing).

Reactions: oldrifleman