• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT CQB MRP 5.56 vs. Noveske Afghan VIS/Switchblock

6.5 GUY

Be careful what you wish for….
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2013
Northern ID
LMT CQB or LM8 MRP platforms vs. Noveske's VIS/Switchblock models.

I've read a lot of older post on this subject, both are considered great guns, each having there merits. But wondered now the John Noveske has past away has the quality control and service remained top notch as before his death? I'd like to get a forged version w/VIS and Switchblock and not there new billet receiver version.

I like the idea of a switch barrel if ever needed, but I'd more then likely keep it as is unchanged. I also like the idea of having a piston version or vis versa. For me the accuracy of the gun is the most important aspect above all else, what I stated above is nice but if it isn't sub moa that would bug me (I do hand load everything I own). From everything I've heard, Noveske seems to preform the best for overall accuracy as a whole with their SS barrels.

I had a Bushmaster Varminter over a decade ago when it first came out that shot dime size groups @ 100 yards.... but not so great further out even with Match bullets. So I sold it off, I bought a Remington 5R 223 24" stainless last year to replace it. Now I wish to maybe own another gas gun, and of these two I hear good things, and like some info as of late what everyone has to say?

Thanks

Last edited:
I dont think of the value in the LMT as being that I can switch calibers. I like the ease of maintenance when I screw the barrel off and get complete access to the chamber as well I have another large bore opening to wipe grime out of the upper receiver.

I dont own a Noveske but removing the barrel aside - 6 of one half dozen of the other. Im guessing unless you get a SS barrel with your LMT the Noveske will come with the better barrel. I have a CL barrel and it shoots fine for me. LMT has SS options though if I want to buy one.

I cannot answer the Noveske side of the question for a head to head comparison, but have had a couple of the CQB MRP's in carbine length, and have not found any difficulty getting hand loads (or factory match for the most part) to print at or under 1 MOA with 5 different 16" or 18" centerfire barrels that I tried in 5.56mm and 6.8mm. For me, the gas operated setups were slightly more accurate than the gas piston; but that is probably true for most uppers. Your results may vary, but in my experience, when you swap out barrels, the accuracy is largely repeatable, but I plan on fine tuning the sights every time I switch. I wouldn't characterize the repeatablilty as 1MOA, but certainly not much worse. This may be because if I am changing barrels, it is to change caliber, so I end up spending a couple minutes re-sighting anyway. The MRP upper is heavy relative to all of the Noveske setups I have handled.

I have had both and like the LMT better. I was very disappointed with he VIS system. barrel changes with it are a pain in the ass, much more so than a standard upper configuration. That been said, I love my Noveske stainless barrels. I actually had a few converted to fit my MRP chassis. I had a hard time letting go of my VIS rails. But only because they were Noveske marked.

I have had both and like the LMT better. I was very disappointed with he VIS system. barrel changes with it are a pain in the ass, much more so than a standard upper configuration. That been said, I love my Noveske stainless barrels. I actually had a few converted to fit my MRP chassis. I had a hard time letting go of my VIS rails. But only because they were Noveske marked.

Who did your conversions? I have been trying to find someone to do conversions.

LMT CQB or LM8 MRP platforms vs. Noveske's VIS/Switchblock models.

I've read a lot of older post on this subject, both are considered great guns, each having there merits. But wondered now the John Noveske has past away has the quality control and service remained top notch as before his death? I'd like to get a forged version w/VIS and Switchblock and not there new billet receiver version.

I like the idea of a switch barrel if ever needed, but I'd more then likely keep it as is unchanged. I also like the idea of having a piston version or vis versa. For me the accuracy of the gun is the most important aspect above all else, what I stated above is nice but if it isn't sub moa that would bug me (I do hand load everything I own). From everything I've heard, Noveske seems to preform the best for overall accuracy as a whole with their SS barrels.

I had a Bushmaster Varminter over a decade ago when it first came out that shot dime size groups @ 100 yards.... but not so great further out even with Match bullets. So I sold it off, I bought a Remington 5R 223 24" stainless last year to replace it. Now I wish to maybe own another gas gun, and of these two I hear good things, and like some info as of late what everyone has to say?

Thanks

Do you plan to run a suppressor? If so, the Noveske may be more advantageous.

Mark at Short Action Customs did mine. Last I talked to him, he stated that he is only working on bolt guns right now though.

Do you plan to run a suppressor? If so, the Noveske may be more advantageous.

I don't think so at this time. I have found two Afghan's w/o the Switchblock for sale that have my interest, but w/o it, isn't using a suppressor out of the question due to blow back?

Thanks for your input and everyone else's in advance.

I don't think so at this time. I have found two Afghan's w/o the Switchblock for sale that have my interest, but w/o it, isn't using a suppressor out of the question due to blow back?

Plenty of people run suppressors without switchblocks/adjustable gas systems. It's just nice to have the flexibility of the adjustable gas system.

Honestly, I've owned several Noveske and LMT MRP rifles and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Blowback has never been a problem with my non-switchblock Afghan shooting suppressed.

If you are looking for as much accuracy as possible you're more likely to get that with a stainless barrel.
Not that chrome lined barrels can't shoot well. I have a 16" CL Daniel Defense that shoots very well.

I looked over a LMT CQB (non-MRP) last night, nice light weight rig, great fit and finish. I think for my own personal preference being an accuracy freak I'll go with the Noveske Afghan I saw available FS. I heard from Noveske that they do not have a 14.5" barrel in their current product? Odd though is I saw a Thunder Ranch version that was w/a 14.5" barrel. Kinda funny, I have a Thunder Ranch from GA Precision, they'd make a nice pair, but I like the specs better on the Afghan.

Thanks for the responses. After next months Match, I should have the time to do some load development for the Afghan, I'll post the best load I find for it. Currently I use a Berger 73 gr. Target BTHP behind 25.5 grs. of Varget CCI-BR4 in Lapua match brass in the R5 with amazing results out to 600 yards. But that's kinda easy with a bolt gun.

I picked up the Noveske Afghan yesterday. I bought one w/ a MUR receiver based on SmimL7's recommendation (or should I say his distaste for the VIS upper), Gen. II Lower, 11" Low pro Handguard, F&R Back-up folding sights, w/ a pinned Blackout muzzle device. Nice fit and finish, tight upper to lower fit, high quality parts.

I don't have a scope for it yet, but I loaded up 10 rounds using the Hornady 68 gr. match bullet and VV N133, CCI-41 primers, in M.A.S.T. Brass @ 2.260". (I have never heard of them until this year, but I wanted a different head stamp from my bolt gun which uses Lapua Match Brass. At 151.00 per 500 pieces it's pretty cheap brass). 100 yard group was about 5" with the Iron Sights..... not too bad I suppose. On the fence about choosing optics for it? I was first thinking of using a TA31 ROC-M4CP ACOG that's calibrated to the M4's 14.5" BBL. but maybe the USO SN8c w/a BDC reticle would be a better option? A lot of great low power scopes have come out this past year and lots of different options to chose from.