• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier

frankythefly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Colorado
Anyone use one of the Enhanced Bolt Carriers?

I am interested in buying one of these to try and reduce the over-pressure resulted from shooting suppressed. Looks like it has a longer dwell time not sure if it is heavier, but I did notice some extra side ports on it.

l7q3a.gif

Anyhow thanks.

http://www.lmtstore.com/bolts-carriers-groups/556-enhanced-fa-bolt-carrier.html

Re: LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier

I use one, no suppressor though. It is through and through LMT quality and I recommend it. Extra and repositioned gas ports (by the numbers) are intended to bleed off more gas out the side. I use it in a 16" mid length gas LMT barrel and it is without a hiccup.

I recall reading it is not recommended in the sub 14" barrels.

I have two one in a LMT MRP upper with a 16" barrel and one in a Mega billit upper with a Noveske 16"RECCE barrel. I have been told by other shooters that for some reason my rifles shoot softer/smoother than the their rifles. last week I shot with a guy that had a brand new colt LE model that we shot the same ammo out of each rifle rifle and there is a difference. I also have the enhanced bolts on each of them. Im sure they would work extreamly well suppressed, thats what im betting on anyway.

Just checking posts and I remembered the bolt carrier has a longer cam path witch allows the carrier to travel farther back before unlocking the bolt. This allows the pressure to drop so it does not slam back as hard. The other bonus that I have noticed is the guns seem to run cleaner than my others. I think it is because more gas gets blown out of the barrel before the port pressure blows it into the action.

Thanks guys for your inputs, I am now debating on getting just the carrier or getting the carrier with the improved bolt. I just learned today talking with the nice lady at LMT that they give a pretty good mil discount.

The improved bolt is a work of art, another LMT engineering masterpiece.

Though, doomsday preppers will rain shit on them for not being the almighty 'mil spec' but if you trust civilization to not end before you may need a replacement I don't think you can do any better.

OFIS your absolutly right the bolt has enough features to start another thread. LMT is a rifle building company not so much a marketing company, you really dont know how good the stuff is until you experiance it yourself. Just like how the uppers and lowers are as tight as a frogs ass, only the most observent will figure out how they do it. Most are just happy that it is.

As far as mil-spec goes, it is resistant to zombie blood, doesn't bother me as I won't confront them anyway:eek:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use one of the Enhanced Bolt Carriers?

I am interested in buying one of these to try and reduce the over-pressure resulted from shooting suppressed. Looks like it has a longer dwell time not sure if it is heavier, but I did notice some extra side ports on it.

l7q3a.gif

Anyhow thanks.

</div></div>

Did you end up buying one? Would like to hear if your experience matched the others.

I run two LMT Enhanced BCG setups.
One in a 14.5" 5.56 NATO upper and the other in a 10" 300 BLK upper.
Both suppressed.
If you are going through the trouble of getting the Bolt Carrier, you might as well go all the way and get the matching bolt.

IMO, the LMT Enhanced Bolt & Bolt Carrier are the single largest improvement made in the AR platform.
It brings the reliability level of the platform up to an amazing level.
Additionally, the extra dwell time in the unlock sequence makes a real difference.

Here is a very good description of the system:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Alexander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let us perhaps be a little more precise with regard to the details of the LMT enhanced bolt and carrier system. As shown the details are very often misinterpreted.

In the first instance one must understand why the system exists, more particulaly in the context that the design is brilliant in its execution, but as reported frequently on the errornet is not always reliable. The design basis for the assembly is specifically to enhance the durability of the M4 configuration as currently issued. This gun is to some extent unbalanced. Port pressures running military grade ammunition are well in excess of the design levels which leads to very high carrier acceleration rates (+22 f/s/s). this combined with chamber pressure drop often creates the undesirable condition that the bolt commences to unlock while still subject to a degree of head thrust from the cartridge case. The result is that the lugs are subject to a biaxial loading of both shear and bending.

The LMT system being both the carrier and the bolt seeks to operate directly in this gun and elleviate symptoms. The carrier is set up with a longer delay during the initial portion of its movement. To facilitate this longer cam path and movement of the bolt forwards in the carrier, the front edge of the carrier is extended such that it still continues to retain the extractor pivot pin. Additional exhaust vents act to drop the piston pressure faster and to relieve any blowby at the tail of the bolt.

The bolt itself is of particular interest. The function of the dual spring extractor is frequently misinterpreted as an attempt to add spring force to the extractor claw. Rather it reduces the fatigue that the extractor spring(s) undergo by allowing the use of longer springs with lower K values; the % relative compression during the movement of the extractor is reduced. Remember that additional extractor force is not required now that the carrier is slowing the extraction cycle. The mitigation of stress in the bolt is accomplished in several ways. Material is the least visible change but is important to the design. The traditional Carpenter 158 is abandoned, being replaced by a significantly tougher grade from a different manufacturer. The lugs themselves are generously radiused between lugs and at the rear the diameter is actually reduced to allow a larger transition radius to be machined. The incorrectly identified sand cuts on the lugs are stress relief cuts. These allow any individual lug to elastically deform and give a smoother load over the contact patch. While this type of feature is very difficult to calculate and even more difficult to implement it helps to place the lug in a true shear load rather than amplify the bending moment. As noted the lug opposite the extractor is relieved. This feature prevents the unequal transfer of load to the two opposite lugs but I would argue that the stress relief groove already in place largely accomplishes this purpose. This is a academic quibble so I will bow to LMT in this respect. There is one additional feature that can be found in the bolt, but I am not at liberty to disclose the detail.

When considering wether to use the LMT parts one must consider the weapon. Correctly ported guns will derive little or no benefit from a carrier that is specifically set up to absorb excessive port pressures and some degree of residual case pressure. If not sufficiently gassed the reliability will suffer. This is not a fault of the carrier rather a mistake made in the application so be careful with simple substitutions. The bolt itself is exemplary. If not constrained by a $ value the bolt is a worthy addition to any rifle and will do nothing but enhance the durability of this part of the system.

Bill Alexander</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use one of the Enhanced Bolt Carriers?

l7q3a.gif

Anyhow thanks.

</div></div>

Did you end up buying one? Would like to hear if your experience matched the others. </div></div>
I am going to purchase just the carrier after the end of this month. I have a custom barrel that is matched with a ceramic coated bolt, but I may give the improved bolt version a shot also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What barrel length are the best for these? Web site says 14' & longer.</div></div> They don't guarantee it to work on anything under 14.5".
This is due to the extra dwell time the Enhanced Bolt Carrier adds.
It is designed around an M4 MILSPEC configuration with a 14.5" barrel.
Depending on how big the gas port is on your barrel, it can work all the way down to a 10" 5.56 NATO barrel.

There are two versions of the LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier.
The older one just has three exhaust ports where the dust cover notch is.
The newer design also has a tiny hole behind the three gas ports to further smooth out the cycle.
I own both and when I received the new version I called LMT to inquire about the new port.
The tech guys said that they added it to try and make it work better on the SBR setups.

I put a Full Auto model of the new version on my suppressed 14.5" upper and noticed less "gas face".
I put a Semi Auto model of the original version on my suppressed 10" Noveske 300 BLK upper and it works flawlessly.
The big improvement that it provides on the 300 BLK is in taming the full power supersonic loads.

Since this product was not designed with the 300 BLK in mind, I did a lot of research into whether or not it would work prior to investing in another one for that project.
The easiest way to understand how the LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier works is to think of a standard AR and how the standard volume / duration of gas impacts the operation.
In a traditional M16, there is a 20" barrel and a rifle length gas system.
This configuration as designed by Eugene Stoner permits the cartridge to depressurize prior to the bolt unlock sequence.
In an M4 configuration, the shorter 14.5" barrel and carbine length gas system delivers the full load of gas over a shorter duration and earlier than a standard rifle configuration.
This is why you have things like the CRANE "O" ring under the extractor in the M4 configuration.
They are needed to generate enough force to extract a cartridge that is still partially pressurized.
The LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group was designed for the Enhanced SOPMOD program and directly addressed the requirements outlined in the program.

The main problem is the shorter the barrel, the tougher it is to get that balance of gas and dwell.
As the gas block is moved closer to the chamber, the gas is delivered to the bolt carrier earlier in the cycle.
The length of barrel from the gas block to the muzzle determines the duration that the gas system is pressurized.
The final component is the size of the gas port and this determines the pressure of the gas system.
The LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier adds an additional variable by delaying the unlocking of the bolt.

The conclusion that I ultimately came to regarding what will and what will not work with the LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier is this:
As long as the setup that you are using resembles the volume and dwell time of the M4, it will work fine.
The 300 BLK does this very well because the slower moving bullets allow for much longer dwell times than the 3000 fps projectiles of the 5.56 NATO cartridge.

RE25 is right, LMT is not a marketing company. I have had an LMT enhanced BCG in my parts box for a while and could never understand the how LMT achieves a longer dwell time until I read this thread.

Can one expect any benefits from the enhanced BCG in a non-supressed 18" barrel application?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RE25 is right, LMT is not a marketing company. I have had an LMT enhanced BCG in my parts box for a while and could never understand the how LMT achieves a longer dwell time until I read this thread.

Can one expect any benefits from the enhanced BCG in a non-supressed 18" barrel application?</div></div>The benefit of using the Enhanced BCG would be softer recoil, less gas, and all of the reliability characteristics that it brings to the table.
IMO, there is an accuracy gain to be had as well, but I do not have any data to back that up.
Of course all the benefits of the LMT Enhanced Bolt would still be realized since are not directly related to timing.

If you have one in your parts box, I would try it out just to see what impact it has in your particular rifle.

Thanks for the info Dr. Phil! Good stuff, sence like you im thinking of using one for a 300 blkout with 8" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dr Phil, Could it be that a pistol gas system is why the BCG works so well with the supersonics in the 8 inch upper? I agree with the accuracy theory, the farther down the tube the bullet is before mechanical movement effects it the better.</div></div>
The setup of the gas system for the 300 BLK works because of the difference in ratios between it and 5.56 NATO.
With the slower moving projectile of the 300 BLK, it is possible to get dwell times with a pistol length gas system on a 8-10" barrel that are similar to 5.56 NATO with a carbine length gas system and a 14.5-16" barrel.
I don't have the measurements handy, otherwise I would show the math to better illustrate the point.

As to the issue of increased accuracy, you are exactly correct.
It would be interesting to do an experiment to quantify this, but I don't have the parts or time to do it.

I am very surprised that LMT doesn't do more to promote their Enhanced Bolt & Bolt Carrier.
When coupled with an H2 Buffer, the reliability is easily as high as any gas piston setup.
I feel that it improves the weapons system so much that I would not own an AR without one in it.
It is funny that years later, LWRC & KAC have came out with their own "Enhanced" bolts with similar features.

In the process of building an 300BLK using an 8" Noveske barrel have been looking over BCG came across LMT Enhanced BCG. But not much out there that I can find on using them with the 300BLK and SBRs.

Do you think the LMT enhanced BCG would work well with an 8" barrel and H2 carbine buffer? Wanting it reliable for suppressed subs and supersonic and occasionally even unsuppressed supersonic loads.

Thanks
Tanner

I'm very interested in this enhanced bcg, may help cut down on being over gassed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dr. Phil, would you recommend one for a 8" 300 blackout?</div></div>
I would...
I run the Noveske 10" 300 BLK + H2 Buffer with a Semi Auto 1st Gen LMT Enhanced BCG and I'm pretty sure that the gas system is tuned to the same levels as the 8".

Of course, without actually trying it, there is no guarantee that it will work.
If it were me though, I'd take the plunge.
I had the advantage of using the LMT Enhanced BCG from my 5.56 upper to function check it first though.

On a separate non LMT BCG matter:
The Noveske 8" & 10" 300 BLK barrels have a gas system that is perfectly tuned for subsonic suppressed loads.
My 10" barrel is also SUB MOA out to 300 yards.
However super sonic suppressed loads using AAC recommended powder charges & AAC Brass have given me pressure signs.
This was easily remedied by doing my own load development and working up to what worked best in my barrel.
Here is my 300 BLK setup and what has worked best for me:
MK12 MOD-BLK
P1010272_WEB.jpg

- Upper:
LAR Forged A3 Upper Receiver
Tear Drop Forward Assist
LWRC dust cover with black spring
LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier
LMT Enhanced Bolt
LWRC Advanced Cam Pin
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
Noveske 10" 300 BLK Barrel
PRI Gen 3 Tube
A.R.M.S. #38 SPR MOD Sleeve
A.R.M.S. #40 flip up rear sight
A.R.M.S. #22 Rings with TRR and TRC
Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T M3 Front Focal Riflescope, TMR Reticle
Tango Down ACB-4 Bipod
CQD Forward Sling Mount

- Lower:
LAR Forged Lower (Form1 Registered SBR)
Falcon Ergo Ambi Grip
RRA 2 Stage LPK
Magpul Trigger Guard
Magpul B.A.D. Lever
CQD Rear Sling Mount
LWRC Buffer Tube( with increased drainage capacity for maritime operations)
LWRC CS Action (Buffer) Spring
DPMS H2 Buffer
LMT SOPMOD Stock

Subsonic loading:
- 10.3 grains of AA1680 under a 220 SMK (AVG Velocity 1,035 fps.)
Supersonic Loadings:
- 19.0 grains of H110 under a 125 Grain AAC / SMK (AVG Velocity 2,127 fps)
This is the most accurate load for my 300 BLK
- 18.0 grains of N110 under a 110 Grain V-MAX (AVG Velocity 2,053 fps)
This load is absolutely devastating, but has given me "failure to feed" malfunctions on the last couple rounds in a 20 round magazine.

The new 300 BLK specific bullets being developed should be making some serious waves when they become available.
The two that are already out, (125 AAC / SMK, & Barnes 110gr TAC-TX™) have been very well received.

Thanks Dr phil! Im going to try the LMT enhanced bcg when I get this thing put together. I built a blkout with a Noveske 16" & love it, but want a short upper to put on my ar pistol. I reload, so I can work up loads for the barrel. Thanks for your input and advice! Oh, and your blackout look sweet! Nice job!