• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lmt LM308MWS advise?

Rlbol

Master Gunnery Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
FL
I am hoping to find a little advise on a lmt 308. I have shoot mostly bolt rifles but I some how stumbled a pawn the lmt. I do have a lwrc m4 so I am familiar with the platform other then the ar-10/ 308 differences.

So I have a little spending money and was thinking about picking up one of these and wanted to hear from owners and see what they thought? I very much like the idea of having the ability to change out barrels quickly to other calipers. Provided of course they do make other calibers!

So please let me know your options and advise. While I also am interested in a kac sr-25 I am drawn to the lmt for the quick change barrels and of course the price difference!

Jon the only one I have been able to find is the 16" the 5r rifled SS barrel model would be nice. I guess I should be happy finding that is a little less then msrp verses what some people are asking for them on gun broker!

Jon the only one I have been able to find is the 16" the 5r rifled SS barrel model would be nice. I guess I should be happy finding that is a little less then msrp verses what some people are asking for them on gun broker!

Lots of guys on here report the CL barrels are just as accurate as the SS so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in your decision for/against getting one. If you can find one for MSRP BUY IT! It's a lot of money well worth it. LMT's manufacturing capacity is backlogged clear through the rest of 2013. Oh, the consensus is that the 168's seem to shoot the best in this gun so save yourself some time. Not saying the other weights don't but everyone seems to have the best luck with the 168's. Personally, mine loves the 155 and 168 amax's. Good luck.

Lots of guys on here report the CL barrels are just as accurate as the SS so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in your decision for/against getting one. If you can find one for MSRP BUY IT! It's a lot of money well worth it. LMT's manufacturing capacity is backlogged clear through the rest of 2013. Oh, the consensus is that the 168's seem to shoot the best in this gun so save yourself some time. Not saying the other weights don't but everyone seems to have the best luck with the 168's. Personally, mine loves the 155 and 168 amax's. Good luck.

The CL are not as accurate as the ss, in the two of each type that I have.
The CL is a .75 to 1 moa barrel, the ss are a solid .5 moa.
Reloads optimized for each.

The cl like 155 scenars and the ss love 168 amax's.
Tighter bore on the cl I presume.

Last edited:
My LMT MWS 16 CL Barrel is shooting 1/2" to 3/4" groups with good ammo, no problem. I was thinking about going with a SS barrel when I first got the rifle and now glad I didn't. I recently shot a 3 shot group at 300 yards that measured 1 3/4 inches. Very happy with the rifle.

Last edited:
My LMT MWS 16 CL Barrel is shooting 1/2" to 3/4" groups with good ammo, no problem. I was thinking about going with a SS barrel when I first got the rifle and now glad I didn't. I recently shot a 3 shot group at 300 yards that measured 1 3/4 inches. Very happy with the rifle.

I'm talking minimum 5 round groups, and on average.
I've shot 5 rounds into 1.25" at 300 with the 20" ss barrel...
That's not what it'll do on average of course.

Long story short, the cl are very accurate for a cl barrel.
But on the same day with the same conditions and shooter, the ss will yield tighter groups every time.
This is with ammunition that has been reloaded and optimized for each barrel.
So if you're shooting well with the cl, you'd be doing even better with the ss.

MY LMT 16 is CL and is very good, it is so nice being able to take the barrel off and clean, only thing I wish mine was, was a slick side. Not "Crying For Argentina" bad, just I think I would like it a tad better.

Optic choice is a real bastard, it's good with a dot, it is good with a 1-4x, its good with a 3-15 and 5.5-22. My scope selection is based off of what I am doing that day in the desert. The gun is really good, I see why the Brits like it.

I picked one up today with the 16" CM barrel. I am anxious to see what it can do, seeing as I have never shot a .308 AR. I have some Varget, 168A-max, and some virgin Win brass ready to roll.

My 16 CL barrel shoots just fine but shoots even better with the 6.5 CM barrel. I rarely shoot the .308 barrel any more since I got the Creed, been thinking about getting the 7-08 barrel now. Eventually I would like to aquire all the different calibers for it. Just because