• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT LM8 Slick VS Standard MWS - Ready to pull the trigger and seeking advice

synapse

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Iowa, USA
Looking for pros & cons between the LMT LM8 Slick and the Standard MWS. I have owned a number of LMT products, (Standard Patrol, MRP CQB - both piston & DI, MRP Rifle Length and a standard MWS). Sold my original MWS Gen 1, due to necessity and planned on replacing it at some point. That time has come and now I am debating between the two MWS receivers.

I like the new slick for the comfort / versatility but wonder if it changes the durability over the long term. In my eyes, having the rail panels on the slick screwed into the receiver, puts one more point of stress into the equation. I doubt I will be adding and removing the rail sections after I have it set to my liking but the thought just keeps entering my mind. I know there is a bit of weight savings with the slick, but it appears negligible.

I also like the Gen 1 billets for some odd reason but finding one is a bit difficult. I know it will come down to personal preference but looking for any additional advice / opinions between the two.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i pretty sure its just the looks of the rifle and is totally preference. i personally like the looks of the new slick style... if you can get the new slick style for the same low cost, then i would get the new look... if i could only find a 20" standard and a 20" slick and the price was $500 diff, then i would get the standard mws.

i would say my LMT with handloads would average about .9 to .85moa.... when the stars and sky are just perfect, i can push .75moa average.... best group is down in the .3 range

I would suggest the new LM8 from reading your post. I like the billets too but the LM8 makes the rifle seem lighter than the real weight savings. I dont think you have anything to worry about as far as durability It would be hard to dent the upper they way the metal is shaped. The rails will stay put if you put locktite them, I would rather have detachable rails on a true monolithic upper than on a standard smooth free float rail. In the beginning PRI used the same configuration on the MK12 MOD 0 and its all the rage again.

Last edited:
Lm8 all the way. Have shot both and much prefer the feel and the lighter weight of the slick side. And it technically should be more durable, not less, as the rails themselves are a common point of damage as they tend to "dig in." If so, the section is replaceable.

I vote for the lm8 also. I bought one from oakland tac a few months back. The way they made the slick portion just feels better in your hand.

edit: Here's the slick side I bought. Has the 16in SS barrel. Also now it has a BABC on it as well as a geissele ssa-e

Last edited:
Good to hear. I had trouble choosing, not being able to see either in person. I ordered the slick and I'll have it next Friday, but had to pay a little extra over the standard MWS. Glad to hear I probably made the right choice.