• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LMT MARS-L

JLTX

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
North Texas
Good evening and thank you in advance for your expertise. I bought an LMT MARS-L today after failed experiences with other 556 brands. Advice needed on optics, here are the details:

-Majority of shooting inside of 100yds, however, would like to stretch the legs a bit infrequently.
-My experience w 556 optics has been Sig Romeo (Sig M4) and Aimpoint PRO (Giessle SD). Love the PRO, not happy w the Romeo.
-Not willing to run multiple unit clutter (ACOG and RMR). Would prefer a one stop vehicle recognizing that there are limitations. Plenty of experience w ATACR 4-16, but no need with this vehicle.
-Budget is flexible

Many thanks!

What are you shooting? Are you plinking steel or shooting for groups hunting? I am a fan of the TA33 a walk about, general purpose optic. its lite, has decent eye relief, doesn't require batteries.

I think LPVO's are pretty cool if you shoot a little further or shooting for groups.

Aimpoint micro. T2 or duty. 3x magnifier in a quick disconnect mount. No reason to pay the magnification weight penalty all the time if you don't use it much. I got my wife a PA magnifier that was around 100$ and it's surprisingly good.

Mount cost like twice what the magnifier did but if it works and you don't use it much I don't see a reason to spend more. If you need a name brand on it the commercial aimpoint magnifiers are pretty affordable but I read the eye relief is pretty short.

Eta I know you said you don't want an acog/rmr combo but if you haven't tried it's a very nice setup. Nothing complicated about it just a little on the expensive side.

Thanks to all for your expertise and guidance! I tried out several red dot/mag combo (Aimpoint, forget the model), lpvo (ATACR 1-8), and an ACOG (TA31) this weekend. Thankfully, I have several buddies who were happy to help. My personal preference ran to the ACOG. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle (well stated Green Mushroom!) and the ACOG gave me confidence in close and out a bit. Planning on giving EO a call this week to go through the specifics (LED vs Tritium/FO, 3.5 v 4x, specific BDC for 77g 556, etc…). Surefire War Comp closed tine muzzle device ready, Surefire Socom Mini 2 filed w NFA this weekend…Thanks again everyone!