• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MLR Upper accuracy?

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
So I bought an LMT MLR upper and was planning to do a mk12 SPR type build with it and an bartlein 18" SPR profiled barrel probably from craddock or Keystone, Set-up by D. Wilson to go with my AEM5. I bought it because the upper is monolithic but I was wondering if the cross-bolt barrel securement performed as well as advertised? Since the rifle is going to be built with accuracy in mind, looking to build a 0.75 MOA minimum upper.

I'm running a quadrail LMT MRP upper with factory SPR (no longer produced) 18" stainless match 5R barrel. Super accurate. I had the cross bolts loosen up once. I retorqued the cross bolts, and applied a stripe of whiteout to keep an eye on them. So far no movement. Probably 3500+ rounds through the setup, and I'm still competing with it in team matches.

Reactions: RickyRodney
You put anything on the cross bolt threads? So it holds a zero no problem?

You put anything on the cross bolt threads? So it holds a zero no problem?
No, just retorqued them. Has held zero, no problem since. I was proving a point and showing off to someone that said a 5.56 can't be a 1000-yard gun, so I went out to his range with my LMT and put 10 on 10 at a 1000-yard full size IPSC steel plate using surplus Mk262.

No, just retorqued them. Has held zero, no problem since. I was proving a point and showing off to someone that said a 5.56 can't be a 1000-yard gun, so I went out to his range with my LMT and put 10 on 10 at a 1000-yard full size IPSC steel plate using surplus Mk262.
I'd say it holds zero then lol. I guess I'll build it. Thanks for the feedback.

So I bought an LMT MLR upper and was planning to do a mk12 SPR type build with it and an bartlein 18" SPR profiled barrel probably from craddock or Keystone, Set-up by D. Wilson to go with my AEM5. I bought it because the upper is monolithic but I was wondering if the cross-bolt barrel securement performed as well as advertised? Since the rifle is going to be built with accuracy in mind, looking to build a 0.75 MOA minimum upper.

I've never shot my 556 MRP's for accuracy, but have shot accuracy with my MWS with a number of barrels and they have always performed well. CL barrels tend to shoot around MOA, SS barrels shoot around 3/4's fairly consistently. As long are the barrels are torqued properly, I have never seen in heard about an accuracy issue, the original torque wrenches that shipped with the rifles were pretty cheap Chinese stuff, but the new in house wrench is good to go. Fix it sticks are also something that is good to have around for this type of stuff

I've never shot my 556 MRP's for accuracy, but have shot accuracy with my MWS with a number of barrels and they have always performed well. CL barrels tend to shoot around MOA, SS barrels shoot around 3/4's fairly consistently. As long are the barrels are torqued properly, I have never seen in heard about an accuracy issue, the original torque wrenches that shipped with the rifles were pretty cheap Chinese stuff, but the new in house wrench is good to go. Fix it sticks are also something that is good to have around for this type of stuff
So I have no worries about the MWS because the cross bolts are spread across a wider surface area. The MRP the cross bolts are also side by side and I was less confident about them without some positive end-user feedback.

The MRP and MWS platforms have been out for some time now, and filling military contracts around the world. I think if there was an issue, we would have heard about it now.

So I have no worries about the MWS because the cross bolts are spread across a wider surface area. The MRP the cross bolts are also side by side and I was less confident about them without some positive end-user feedback.
I've shoot mrps and mws for almost 15 years now and that has never been a concern or issue. Barret uses a very similar system as well.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
I did have an old MWS cross bolt snap at the threads last week when i was changing barrels. Idk what happened but I was using the correct torque 🤷‍♂️ I haven't heard of this happening before.

LMT mailed me some new bolts for free that came same week.

I did have an old MWS cross bolt snap at the threads last week when i was changing barrels. Idk what happened but I was using the correct torque 🤷‍♂️ I haven't heard of this happening before.

LMT mailed me some new bolts for free that came same week.

I think that some stuff just wears out after a certain point, we have to remember that some of these guns have been around for almost 15 years now. Hell even torque wrenches should be calibrated on a somewhat regular basis. Last year I ended up having to replace my bolt release spring.

I think that some stuff just wears out after a certain point, we have to remember that some of these guns have been around for almost 15 years now. Hell even torque wrenches should be calibrated on a somewhat regular basis. Last year I ended up having to replace my bolt release spring.
No doubt, parts like these will wear out and fail eventually. I don't see this as a design problem as the gun didn't fail during operation. Now I just have an extra set in the small chance I need them again.