• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MRP-L

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi,

I am considering an LMT MRP-L upper for a Mk12 type build using a standard barrel with the d.wilson conversion. What are some potential downsides to the system compared to a good traditional upper? What has your experiences been with the DW conversion, etc?

Looking at getting the LMT end of this year or so and am just now starting to look at the options with it. On the surface there seems to be no downsides except proprietary barrels.

Pics/information/education is all welcome!

The issue with using a MRP upper is that it wouldn't really be a MK12 build in any shape or form except the custom barrel.

The MRP platform is great but its strength is the modularity, ease of maintenance, and rigidity of the monolithic upper, not the infinite number of barrel choices.

I would say either get a 20" LMT barrel and get it cut down to 18", or just do a proper MK12 build with a regular upper and PRI handguard that would allow using a stock MK12 type barrel (IE Centurion or PRI).

Yeah I’m not going after a clone, don’t care to. The Mk12 is a concept to me, that of an accurate AR15 that is relatively lightweight, capable of accurate fire, and not so ungainly as to incumber the user.

So basically I’m just curious about the MRP-L and its pros and cons.

You gain a monolithic platform and quick change barrel ability. So you could have a 16”+ setup for an otb can and swap out to a pinned 14.5 and RC2 etc. IE modularity. You’re just slaved to that system (con I guess.) Cost associated with barrel conversions if you don’t go factory LMT “could” be a con too. But possible nonetheless.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Great platform as long as you’re ok with the added weight. Proof barel will really help. Even swap a 556 for a 6ARC if you get bored.

I've got two and they're awesome. The quick-change barrel capability is nice to have, though if you go with an MLOK version and attach a bunch of stuff on it, you might have to remove them before you remove the barrel (at least that's what I've found).

1711921235477.png

I run one with a 16" 5.56mm Bartlein and the other with a 16" 6ARC Proof carbon, both converted to MRP format by DWilson.

Great platform as long as you’re ok with the added weight. Proof barel will really help. Even swap a 556 for a 6ARC if you get bored.
Whats the added weight compared to a standard upper/qual rail?

I've got two and they're awesome. The quick-change barrel capability is nice to have, though if you go with an MLOK version and attach a bunch of stuff on it, you might have to remove them before you remove the barrel (at least that's what I've found).

View attachment 8385876

I run one with a 16" 5.56mm Bartlein and the other with a 16" 6ARC Proof carbon, both converted to MRP format by DWilson.
Nice, I’m looking at the 13.25” quadrail version for that reason plus I’m getting tired of dealing with Mlok.

In my opinion, the weight statement you see all over the internet is quite overblown. A 13.25 quad (per your interest) with LDAG attached (no barrel, bcg etc) comes in at 1lb 15oz. LMT uses heavier profile barrels.

I have the short quad rail as well (earliest MRP version from 2006) and I don’t think the weight difference is all that much. I just like the slimline on the longer rails, so if that’s a priority to you, then stick with MLOK, otherwise if you like the full grip and/or prioritize barrel swaps, stick with quad rail.

Looks to be about 1.2” ID
So definitely too tight for a suppressor to fit under. Thanks.

I don’t really see myself swapping barrels often. Would rather buy a new upper/rifle. The strength of the monolithic upper is what draws me. That said, has the accuracy and consistency been that much better compared to a standard upper?

Yeah, LMT made a special version called CSW for fitting a suppressor inside the rail. The standard LMT barrels are pretty average, though a bit pricey for the level of accuracy you get (the barrels for the MRP-H I’ve seen much better performance with). I really like the monolithic rail for the consistency with scope mounting and using clip-ons.

I need to test my current upper with zero shifts. Zero in prone, shoot a group kneeling off barricade, standing tripod, etc. to see if a regular upper/handguard interface throws my zero that much.

Basically see if a mono upper would be worth the consistency or if I’m just wanting a new toy.

The MRP and their SS barrels are by far the best system going in my opinion. I’ve owned and been issued a wide variety of 556/308 gas guns and I’ll never buy another gasser that isn’t an LMT MRP/MWS.

I run the 16” SS 556 MRP at 2 gun and club (PRS) team matches. So much fun.

People complain they’re heavy. Those people need to do a pull up (obviously unless they are elderly/disability). They just plain work and they’re accurate.

Being that you aren’t a cloner, just save up to get the complete MRP upper. You can do MLOK but you have to cut down the screws, otherwise you’ll be removing accessories each time you swap barrels. I have the SLK MRP and the MLOK MWS, both are phenomenal. I wouldn’t buy the quad rail, but that’s just because I’m not a fan of it after owning the SLK model.

Good luck 🍻

The MRP and their SS barrels are by far the best system going in my opinion. I’ve owned and been issued a wide variety of 556/308 gas guns and I’ll never buy another gasser that isn’t an LMT MRP/MWS.

I run the 16” SS 556 MRP at 2 gun and club (PRS) team matches. So much fun.

People complain they’re heavy. Those people need to do a pull up (obviously unless they are elderly/disability). They just plain work and they’re accurate.

Being that you aren’t a cloner, just save up to get the complete MRP upper. You can do MLOK but you have to cut down the screws, otherwise you’ll be removing accessories each time you swap barrels. I have the SLK MRP and the MLOK MWS, both are phenomenal. I wouldn’t buy the quad rail, but that’s just because I’m not a fan of it after owning the SLK model.

Good luck 🍻
SLK? Looking at pic rail due to not enjoying fiddling with Mlock screws. My current upper is Mlok, but will be building a work upper tomorrow with a BCM quad rail.

SLK? Looking at pic rail due to not enjoying fiddling with Mlock screws. My current upper is Mlok, but will be building a work upper tomorrow with a BCM quad rail.
339447C3-CF2A-46B6-B452-EEAA44C0FCC1.jpeg

25B9814B-465A-4E81-842A-94FCA215540E.jpeg

SLK is the way man. Threaded holes to mount stuff. Flush with the inside, so you never have to remove anything when pulling a barrel.

View attachment 8386167
View attachment 8386168
SLK is the way man. Threaded holes to mount stuff. Flush with the inside, so you never have to remove anything when pulling a barrel.
Ah, I’ve seen the 8” version but never knew they had a longer version.

I assume with the MRP upper you have no shift in zero from different positions/inputs/pressures on the rifle?

I swear I do with pressure, I need to test that theory out soon.

I assume with the MRP upper you have no shift in zero from different positions/inputs/pressures on the rifle?

Yep. In my opinion, this is the sweet spot in terms of length. I think the actual model name is "SLK8" so I'm not sure if that's the actual name or what but I just say the SLK.
Zero issue with shifts. I shoot prone with an atlas cal and x-wing bag to confirm zero then after that it's all positional. Bagged, no bag, on poles, chains, barricades, clipped in on the tripod, bagged on tripod, weird tight positions under stairs/chairs without a bag, etc. If I miss, it isn't because of anything other than me with that rifle.

Whats the added weight compared to a standard upper/qual rail?

Nice, I’m looking at the 13.25” quadrail version for that reason plus I’m getting tired of dealing with Mlok.
There’s a little bit more material on the upper but most weight comes from the oversized barrel extension.

Zero movement.
I’ve got the thin 8” (super thin), standard 8”, 9.25” and MLR 13.25” in 556. MLR is the way to go. But different strokes for different folks.
FWIW proof 14.5 556 CF barrel saves 8oz as I remember. Probably have a pic on the scale somewhere.

I’m thinking they no longer produce a slick 13” upper, only Mlok and pic rail.

I’m thinking they no longer produce a slick 13” upper, only Mlok and pic rail.
Ah, maybe. Definitely worth it if you can find one used. I’d honestly go used SLK13” over new anything else. That’s just me though.

Could always get the pic rail and URX mod it 💁‍♂️
Orrrrr not. I don’t mind pic rails as it gives a good grip, as long as it aint a chonky rail like the SLRs. Friend had an MI qual rail that felt nice and I hope how the BCM will when it gets here tomorrow.

One thing to consider is that your forearm with the MRP is forged 7075-T6, while, if I am not mistaken, the large majority of AR forearms are made from 6061 extrusions.

How much practical difference that makes is beyond my direct knowledge, but I would guess most people would consider it a higher-quality material.

Yeah it should add to durability, though I’ve never had any catastrophic handguard failures. Dented one or two though.

One thing I'll say is if I'm in the market for a precision AR, I'd be looking hard at the Ridgeline Defense LPR. That would be the only other option I'd have interest in over the LMT.

I hear ya. That's why I stick with the LMT and factory barrel. Never thought I'd see LMT be the budget option lol
**I would put this on my “standard” lower** The LMT MARS complete lower is pricy and (IMO) not worth it.

Now a full LMT vs. RD? I’ll take RD.

But if you take a good lower and pair it with a MRPL upper and high quality barrel, you come out the same or less than the RD while having a structurally superior upper.

The
**I would put this on my “standard” lower** The LMT MARS complete lower is pricy and (IMO) not worth it.

But if you take a good lower and pair it with a MRPL upper and high quality barrel, you come out the same or less than the RD while having a structurally superior upper.

The RD looks pretty slick, are there any guesses on price or when it's going to hit the market?

I've been looking at SPRish uppers recently and the RD looks good, also consider getting a Proof CF barrel converted for one of my MRP's.

The

The RD looks pretty slick, are there any guesses on price or when it's going to hit the market?

I've been looking at SPRish uppers recently and the RD looks good, also consider getting a Proof CF barrel converted for one of my MRP's.
$3200 I believe and they’re supposed to start shipping any day now. Initially they have a waitlist that they’re wiring down. You have to sign up on their website

Reactions: GUNNER10
Hi,

I am considering an LMT MRP-L upper for a Mk12 type build using a standard barrel with the d.wilson conversion. What are some potential downsides to the system compared to a good traditional upper? What has your experiences been with the DW conversion, etc?

Looking at getting the LMT end of this year or so and am just now starting to look at the options with it. On the surface there seems to be no downsides except proprietary barrels.

Only downside is a permanent hand guard and funds to modify barrels.

D. Wilson can convert any barrel for you and in my experience they've all been shooters. Factory barrels are average at best but can usually be picked up second hand for far less than MSRP. I am a fan of the system, I got my first LMT over a decade ago and now I have three. I like my my LMT's as much as my KAC rifles and in some ways maybe even more due to their modularity. They weigh slightly more than most AR's but it's not an issue to me personally. Here is one of my MRP-L's with an 18" Proof Carbon barrel in 6 ARC and a quad version with 14.5" Proof Carbon in 223/556.

pGvxRcC.jpg

Dj4cSzK.jpg

Anyone other than d.wilson doing conversions? If he goes out of business or passes away or something, I’d not want to be stuck with LMT barrels.

Anyone other than d.wilson doing conversions? If he goes out of business or passes away or something, I’d not want to be stuck with LMT barrels.

Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms does them as well.

Is a mars lower nice? Absolutely.

Is it a requirement to be fast/accurate? Absolutely not.

Is it worth saving up for an additional 3+ months? Eh. I’d rather have a rifle now than in 3 months from now just for ambi controls.

Slapping an LMT upper on a standard (decent quality) lower will work just fine, as long as it’s a tight fit or you pop a wedge in. Then boom, Bob’s your uncle.

Most shooters aren’t going to outperform an LMT SS barrel, so the real advantage of going with a modded/custom one just comes down to personal preference and availability for the exact specs you want. They’ll both provide the same results on target with quality ammo.

That out of the way, a lot of hype going around for a rifle that hasn’t hit the market yet. I’m sure it will be a good AR, but just be careful of pre-release and honeymoon phase hype…especially these days. To say you’d take a rifle that isn’t released yet over something that is proven is risky to the wallet.

Just my -$1.25 worth of experience and opinion 😂

Is a mars lower nice? Absolutely.

Is it a requirement to be fast/accurate? Absolutely not.

Is it worth saving up for an additional 3+ months? Eh. I’d rather have a rifle now than in 3 months from now just for ambi controls.

Slapping an LMT upper on a standard (decent quality) lower will work just fine, as long as it’s a tight fit or you pop a wedge in. Then boom, Bob’s your uncle.

Most shooters aren’t going to outperform an LMT SS barrel, so the real advantage of going with a modded/custom one just comes down to personal preference and availability for the exact specs you want. They’ll both provide the same results on target with quality ammo.

That out of the way, a lot of hype going around for a rifle that hasn’t hit the market yet. I’m sure it will be a good AR, but just be careful of pre-release and honeymoon phase hype…especially these days. To say you’d take a rifle that isn’t released yet over something that is proven is risky to the wallet.

Just my -$1.25 worth of experience and opinion 😂
The LMT SS barrels are that good? Criterion good (very acceptable) or like full on CLE cut Bartilen (basically perfect)?

Speaking of, now that CLE is no longer taking orders, who would y’all look to for custom AR barrel work?

I have zero intentions of buying or preordering the RD rifle when an enhanced Aero upper (or Seekins/LMT) will most like do the same thing with me pulling the trigger.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
The LMT SS barrels are that good? Criterion good (very acceptable) or like full on CLE cut Bartilen (basically perfect)?

Speaking of, now that CLE is no longer taking orders, who would y’all look to for custom AR barrel work?

I have zero intentions of buying or preordering the RD rifle when an enhanced Aero upper (or Seekins/LMT) will most like do the same thing with me pulling the trigger.
The SS barrels are that good. I only run factory ammo because I’m an idiot and haven’t gotten into reloading yet. You’ll get sub minute with the CL barrels and good ammo (FGMM 77SMK/73BH, Defender 77SMK, MK262) but the SS barrels are absolutely just as good as a custom cut barrel. Now I haven’t run a bartlein in my LMT but if you’re splitting hairs between .6-.4” (LMTSS) and .3” (maybe with a custom) then that’s a shooter’s preference if they are that consistent on a gas gun.

Reactions: PBWalsh and ELCO82
D. Wilson can convert any barrel for you and in my experience they've all been shooters.
This is generally true, but last year I discovered one caveat: the barrel profile is limited by the extension he has to press onto it. I sent him a CLE varmint barrel that had a 1" OD that would still fit inside the handguard, but the extension couldn't be fitted. Yeah I know I was pushing it with that one, but it was worth a try.

I have a 20" SS LMT barrel and its become my favorite setup.

The SS barrels are that good. I only run factory ammo because I’m an idiot and haven’t gotten into reloading yet. You’ll get sub minute with the CL barrels and good ammo (FGMM 77SMK/73BH, Defender 77SMK, MK262) but the SS barrels are absolutely just as good as a custom cut barrel. Now I haven’t run a bartlein in my LMT but if you’re splitting hairs between .6-.4” (LMTSS) and .3” (maybe with a custom) then that’s a shooter’s preference if they are that consistent on a gas gun.
Considering 1 MOA is my standard for a Mk12 with a SS barrel, thats pretty solid. The issue now is that they are overgassed and never in stock.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Considering 1 MOA is my standard for a Mk12 with a SS barrel, thats pretty solid. The issue now is that they are overgassed and never in stock.
If 1MOA is your standard, then you’ll honestly be fine with their CL barrel and some FGMM 77gr all day everyday…except for the third Wednesday of each month. I’d put my 16” CL w/ MK262 against any MK12 I was issued. But if you want better than 1MOA, SS is the way.

People keep talking about them being over gassed. Eh. They’re designed to work and they do, regardless of what you feed em or how dirty they are. That’s just me though. The internet tells me I should care about my ejection pattern and being over gassed but i just ignore it because my rifle works really well as is.

As for stock status, plenty of new complete MRP-Ls available right now at dealers, to include parts to put one together.

🍻
#NotSponsored
#Yet

I mean I'm only 36, so I don't see myself going anywhere anytime soon....
LOL. I think the recent CLE closing has me wondering about future logistics as logistics plays a huge role in the firearms I buy.

@M8541Reaper Yeah anything smaller than 1 MOA is gravy for me. 1 MOA is technically a head size target at 800 yards. I am not capable of that degree of wind calling. Gassing is something I consider due to shooting 100% suppressed. New technologies are making that less of an issue, but it does exist.

LOL. I think the recent CLE closing has me wondering about future logistics as logistics plays a huge role in the firearms I buy.

@M8541Reaper Yeah anything smaller than 1 MOA is gravy for me. 1 MOA is technically a head size target at 800 yards. I am not capable of that degree of wind calling. Gassing is something I consider due to shooting 100% suppressed. New technologies are making that less of an issue, but it does exist.
Lol,

Honestly, LMT does need to touch up their QC, but, for the most part, they have been putting out decent mrp barrels for the last 20 years, and even out side of dave, LMT's patent is expiring soon so I would expect more options to come online.

My factory 6.5cm barrel is phenomenal, and shoots on par with a previous krieger I ran.

Hi,

Having made something approaching $50k in mistakes, I think you are on the right track with the LMT. I have two LMT L lowers (one is currently being registered as a short barrel rifle. I have four uppers, 16 inch DI, 16 inch Piston, 18 inch 6 ARC, 12.5 inch shovel nose piston. I can't tell you how much I love this platform. I kissed a lot of frogs before I ended up with LMT and highly recommend them.

On Friday last week, I bought a 9mm can, submitted to the ATF on Tuesday and was approved to pick it up yesterday. While I was grabbing it, I was looking at the Otter Creek version of the MK 12 can exactly as you described. As others have said, it won't be clone correct but it will be a lot of fun to shoot.

My two 16 inch guns shoot around 1.2 MOA with good factory ammo. My D Wilson 6 ARC conversion is shooting .5 moa. If I do the 18 " 5.56 I would be looking for 1 MOA or better from it.