• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 18" SS Barrel arrived

afd77

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Ohio
Received the 18" SS barrel for my LMT MWS and got a chance to take it to the range. I installed an AAC 51 T mzzle brake with near future plans to add a 762-SD.

photo2.jpg

I am currently developing a load, and started with 175 SMK's and 42.5 grains of Varget. I shot a ten round string at 100 yds. through the chronograph for velocity/accuracy. I found the velocity average a little lower than what I want. Average velocity was 2410 fps through my chronograph at 10 feet.

photo.jpg

Had no pressure signs and no malfunctions with rifle. Going to bump up to 43.0 grains in my next load and go from there.

Re: LMT MWS 18" SS Barrel arrived

Looks good so far.

I am at 43 grs of varget behind a 175gr smk with my 20" SS barrel. Yesterday I had an average velocity of 2590fps, that was a 20 round string.

Also, was the high flier your first shot? I am seeing my SS barrel sending a couple fliers and I'm not able to nail down the cause yet.

High flier was my fourth shot, according to my data book. Pretty sure it was my fault. I shot those rounds in groups of five out of two PMAGs. I was shooting off a bipod and rear bag. I'd expect to lose some velocity out of an18" barrel, but 2400 still seems a little low to me. I've been following your posts on the 20", and the bipod issue certainly seems feasible to me, but I have no experience to back that.

Hmmmmmmmmm, good to see, makes my descision a little easier, now. How long did it take to get your 18" barrel?

I had my local dealer order it, took about a week and a half.

Love to see a few more groups but hot damn that appears to be one helluva shooter, that's an excellent group...keep em coming and thanks for posting:)

Thanks Trident. I don't typically shoot a lot of groups, except for load development. I'm taking this rifle down to TVP Saturday to see how it (and me) perform at longer ranges, but am going to use FGMMs because I don't have this load quite ready.

I shot 44.5 of varget with 175gr SMK s. No signs of pressure with constant half moa groups out to 200 yds.

Damn phone... I was going to say don't be afraid to bump up your powder load.your groups look good, you just need more velocity.

Thanks for the advice jawa. I'm sure I will find the right load. I'm gonna load some at 43 up to 45 in increments and adjust from there.