• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 6.5 Creedmoor

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

I'm planning on purchasing a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for my MWS. However, they are only 20" in length...is this going to defeat the purpose of taking advantage of the high B.C. for shooting at distance (800+ yards)? I'm just concerned that this may be a waste of money @ only 20" of barrel? My primary desires/wants/needs are: flatter shooting, softer recoil, and less wind drift - which I believe all are covered in term of my stock .308 vs. 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thoughts:confused:

AvsFan:rolleyes:

Na, go for it. Unless you need to compete or are really trying to strech it's legs, 20" will easily get you to 1200yds.

It will lose a bit of velocity, but will still destroy .308 is wind drift, energy down range and do it much flatter.

I wish my 20" .260 was a 6.5CM....... much cheaper to feed.

Unless you plan on running exclusively factory ammo there are a few guys on here with 16-18" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt guns getting excellent results with 120-130gr bullets over Varget. JFcomfort is reporting 2820fps with 123s and Varget out of a 16.5" barrel-- and 2820fps out of a 6.5 123 Scenar is still doing pretty darn good compared to 308. Granted, that's from a 16.5" bolt gun, but a 18-20" 6.5CM in a gas gun with the right bullet and powder combo should be right there with in terms of velocity if not a little faster.

Just for additional data regarding velocity loss vs barrel length, with identical loads my 22" 6.5CM JP runs about 55-60fps slower than my 24" 6.5CM GAP10. Granted that's not a true direct comparison as they are different barrels and chambers but it's at least a rough gauge to go by. (Just for the sake of more data, the 26" 6.5CM barrel on my AI AE Mk3 runs about 75fps faster than the GAP10 with an identical load.)

Before the year is over I'll be doing an 18" 6.5CM build on a JP-- planning on running 123 Scenars and trying Varget and H4895 and hoping to hit 2800+ out of a short, light, and handy 18" gas gun.

In summary, I wouldn't have any hesitation picking up a 20" 6.5CM LMT... especially compared to a 308. My only point of concern would be firing pin diameter, I have plenty of experience that .080 firing pins don't play nice with 6.5CM in gas guns. Not sure what LMT uses but if they utilize the DPMS/Stoner standard .080" firing pin I'd strongly suggest looking to alternative bolts with a smaller .068" firing pin (like the JP high pressure bolt) to substantially reduce the potential of cratering or piercing primers when shooting 6.5CM.

Last edited:
Unless you plan on running exclusively factory ammo there are a few guys on here with 16-18" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt guns getting excellent results with 120-130gr bullets over Varget. JFcomfort is reporting 2820fps with 123s and Varget out of a 16.5" barrel-- and 2820fps out of a 6.5 123 Scenar is still doing pretty darn good compared to 308. Granted, that's from a 16.5" bolt gun, but a 18-20" 6.5CM in a gas gun with the right bullet and powder combo should be right there with in terms of velocity if not a little faster.

Just for additional data regarding velocity loss vs barrel length, with identical loads my 22" 6.5CM JP runs about 55-60fps slower than my 24" 6.5CM GAP10. Granted that's not a true direct comparison as they are different barrels and chambers but it's at least a rough gauge to go by. (Just for the sake of more data, the 26" 6.5CM barrel on my AI AE Mk3 runs about 75fps faster than the GAP10 with an identical load.)

Before the year is over I'll be doing an 18" 6.5CM build on a JP-- planning on running 123 Scenars and trying Varget and H4895 and hoping to hit 2800+ out of a short, light, and handy 18" gas gun.

In summary, I wouldn't have any hesitation picking up a 20" 6.5CM LMT... especially compared to a 308. My only point of concern would be firing pin diameter, I have plenty of experience that .080 firing pins don't play nice with 6.5CM in gas guns. Not sure what LMT uses but if they utilize the DPMS/Stoner standard .080" firing pin I'd strongly suggest looking to alternative bolts with a smaller .068" firing pin (like the JP high pressure bolt) to substantially reduce the potential of cratering or piercing primers when shooting 6.5CM.

LMT uses a .068" pin.

Awesome boys...thanks for the input! I'll be placing an order at the end of week and I'll keep this post updated w/my shooting results.

Cheers:cool: