• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LMT MWS & CQB (Optics choices for each)?

mckelveymx

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Alabama
My LMT rifles: MWS 16" chrome lined & CQB MRP Defender 16" piston. I'm gonna use the MWS as a DMR type rifle and shoot it out as far as I can learn to. The CQB will be used as a close quarters rifle out to 300, 500 yards max. What optics would you educated hide members recommend for each? Thanks guys. I'll get some pics up if I can ever figure out how on my iPhone.

Re: LMT MWS & CQB (Optics choices for each)?

CQB and 300-500 yards are two different things.

For close stuff, I like EOTech's. Other people will tell you Aimpoint.

Pick a circle/dot or just a dot and run with it.

For your DMR, I'd recommend something with 2-3x on the low end and 8-10x on the top end.

Leupold 3.5-10x40 and Nightforce 2.5-10x36 come to mind.

Congrats on your purchases. I am in the same boat 16" CL MWS coming this month and a 16" CL CQB (DI) bought last week.

My MWS is going to be changed to a PRS stock and I expect it to be a bloated bench/belly gun fired off a bipod. I have an S&B 5-25x56 for that. The S&B is built like an aluminum baseball bat and almost as big. The MWS will be overscoped but I dont expect to be moving around so the high mag will be nice if conditions permit me to use it.

The CQB was bought spur of the moment in a Nov 6 panic as well I realized all my rifles are close to or over 10 lbs. My only carbine is a 10/22. I'm thinking a Trijicon ACOG with some offset KAC BUIS. Looked at an offset J Point or such but they just look really fragile to me (havent seen one Im a catalog commando).

Look forward to following this for suggestions before I spend my money.

For my CQ carbines I like a 1-4, the new Vortex 1-6 looks like a sweet piece of kit for around a grand. I have a Millet 1-4 that was barely over $200, works great at the range and a bunch of the local 3 gunners are running them without issue. Having the 4x will nice for taking the occasional longer shot. My "nice" 1-4 is a Vortex, the ACOG is much better but I am having to spread out my $$.

I run a NF 5.5-22 on my MWS. It is SFP but I like it anyways. If you want to stretch out the 308 I would get something with 20+ at the high end at least. For me at least, I don't consider it "overscoped". I have been out to 600y and I prefer the higher power. Especially if you shoot solo a lot. I spent several months narrowing down my optic choice for the MWS and my short list was:
S&B PMII
Bushnell DMR
NF
Viper PST FFP
The NF was the only SFP I considered, but I preferred the MLR reticle at max power for attempting precision shots. I was also able to purchase 2 for the price of the S&B, so daddy got a backup DMR. These opinions are from someone that just shoots for fun-so take that FWIW.

I run a Vortex PST 1-4 on my LMT MWS. Works great at 1 power for CQB. At 4 power I can hit steel at 500 with no problem. Vortex makes a heck of a scope for the money.