• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS load

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
Anyone here have a handload that they have worked up that shoots well in a LMT MWS .308 with the 16" CL barrel ? I just picked one up and ran a existing load thru it that my GAP .308 loves. That being 43.4 gr. of RL-15 behind a 175 SMK. The LMT shot it around 1 MOA. I didn't have any 168s loaded to try. PMC M80 ball shot like crap.Just looking for a proven recipe to start with and work up a load from there. Doing a bit of research it seems like moost are shooting 168s ....thanks

Re: LMT MWS load

The old light load of 41.5 IMR 4895 behind a 168 SMK works as well as anything in mine at 100 yds. I don't know about extended range, but I feel like the heavier 175s would do better (43.0 RL-15) in my bolt gun.

I have been running IMR 4895 through a 18 inch Armalite for about six years now with a 178 AMAX. It's truely a freaking laser! I've used between 42.4 to 41.5 grains, depending on th lot. I am now toying with 4064 right now...

In mine 40.5 of TAC, CCI #34, mixed year LC brass, and pulled 175 SMKs at 2.81" shoot moa or a little better at ~2520fps IIRC.

ETA: this is more of a plinking load with the pulled SMK, haven't tried it with a virgin bullet.

In the big MWS thread a lot of people seemed to have luck around 45gr Varget, Win brass and 175 SMKs. Seems warm but I haven't tried it.