• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT range day

ACPjunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2013
N. Ga
Well finally managed to get all my ducks in a row and make it to the range with my new to me LMT.

Through this board and others I finally managed to decide on this particular rifle, and wow am I glad I did, fit and finish is awesome, trigger is perfectly usable for a factory bang switch and the accuracy potential from a chrome lined barrel is pretty outstanding.
First the rifle,

LMT MWS 16in Chrome lined barrel, with a Luepold MK 4.5-14x50 TMR. I'm saving up for a NF 3.5-15 or a MK6 3-18, I think one of those would be better than what I have on there now, combined with a QD mount with some MOA built it.

For shooting the fore grip came off, will probably stay off now that I know how it shoots.

Used 3 bullets for accuracy testing, the 168 SMK, the 168 AMAX and the 175 SMK, I would like to try the 178 AMAX but I couldn't find them. I used RL-15 across the board for all bullets and ran a ladder test consisting of 3 rounds per charge. Pretty happy with the results,..

168 SMK on the low end powder charge wise

175 SMK

168 AMAX

And yeah, the groups are cherry picked, but as each group had a different powder charge, deal with it. ;)

And the final group I shot, 3 rounds @ 670 yards, these were on the low end compared to the 175 SMK and 168 AMAX velocity wise, but damn do they shoot. You can tell the difference in bullet impacts between the M118LR on the left and my 168 SMK load on the right. the 175 SMK is hitting much harder, even at 670 yards.

It liked both the 168 bullets at both a high node and a low node, giving me the option of a 100y accuracy load and a faster load for further distances. But by no means did it Not like the 175 SMK, which is going to be developed into a long range accuracy round for sure.

Next step is to fine tune and pick one and run it over the chrono so I can get some data on it.

Anyone know which 308 mag allows the longest OAL? the PMAGS didn't like the 2.80 OAL but the DPMS mags were fine.

I was worried about the accuracy of the rifle while I was waiting to receive it, some people cant seem to get their CL barrels to shoot. With how this one is shooting the only reason to go with the SS is to get the longer barrel to improve velocity, which is on the low end. Using M118LR I was only getting about 2440 FPS over the chrono, I'd like that to be higher for obvious reasons. But accuracy wise I think I got a keeper.

Now, PSA time.
Shooting a .308 semi with a collapsible butt stock, one should be very careful where they place the rear bag. It really smarts when you scope yourself because your rear bag released the stock under recoil.
smiley_abused.gif

Looks like a UBR is in my future lol, hopefully the barmaids will take pity on my poor bruised self later tonight
icon_smile_wink.gif

Thanks for allowing me to glean all the information I could before I finally bought one, I'm happy with my purchase.

Congrats! I have had nothing but great luck with my MWS and LM8MWS.

save your money and stick with the CL.... it even gets better after about 500 rounds. At least it did with mine.

My CL LMT loves anything with a 168 bullet regardless of the powder drop used.

Well finally managed to get all my ducks in a row and make it to the range with my new to me LMT.

Through this board and others I finally managed to decide on this particular rifle, and wow am I glad I did, fit and finish is awesome, trigger is perfectly usable for a factory bang switch and the accuracy potential from a chrome lined barrel is pretty outstanding.
First the rifle,

LMT MWS 16in Chrome lined barrel, with a Luepold MK 4.5-14x50 TMR. I'm saving up for a NF 3.5-15 or a MK6 3-18, I think one of those would be better than what I have on there now, combined with a QD mount with some MOA built it.

For shooting the fore grip came off, will probably stay off now that I know how it shoots.

Used 3 bullets for accuracy testing, the 168 SMK, the 168 AMAX and the 175 SMK, I would like to try the 178 AMAX but I couldn't find them. I used RL-15 across the board for all bullets and ran a ladder test consisting of 3 rounds per charge. Pretty happy with the results,..

168 SMK on the low end powder charge wise
175 SMK

And yeah, the groups are cherry picked, but as each group had a different powder charge, deal with it. ;)

And the final group I shot, 3 rounds @ 670 yards, these were on the low end compared to the 175 SMK and 168 AMAX velocity wise, but damn do they shoot. You can tell the difference in bullet impacts between the M118LR on the left and my 168 SMK load on the right. the 175 SMK is hitting much harder, even at 670 yards.
It liked both the 168 bullets at both a high node and a low node, giving me the option of a 100y accuracy load and a faster load for further distances. But by no means did it Not like the 175 SMK, which is going to be developed into a long range accuracy round for sure.

Next step is to fine tune and pick one and run it over the chrono so I can get some data on it.

Anyone know which 308 mag allows the longest OAL? the PMAGS didn't like the 2.80 OAL but the DPMS mags were fine.

I was worried about the accuracy of the rifle while I was waiting to receive it, some people cant seem to get their CL barrels to shoot. With how this one is shooting the only reason to go with the SS is to get the longer barrel to improve velocity, which is on the low end. Using M118LR I was only getting about 2440 FPS over the chrono, I'd like that to be higher for obvious reasons. But accuracy wise I think I got a keeper.

Now, PSA time.
Shooting a .308 semi with a collapsible butt stock, one should be very careful where they place the rear bag. It really smarts when you scope yourself because your rear bag released the stock under recoil.
smiley_abused.gif

Looks like a UBR is in my future lol, hopefully the barmaids will take pity on my poor bruised self later tonight
icon_smile_wink.gif

Thanks for allowing me to glean all the information I could before I finally bought one, I'm happy with my purchase.

Last edited:
Congrats on a good shooting rifle. Larue has a very nice quick detach for grip for when you want to shoot off a rest. I have one on my lmt and I love it.