• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT SOPMOD Stock

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just installed a pre-owned first generation LMT SOPMOD stock I bought for a deal. Used the LMT buffer tube. Up to now, have been partial to the VLTOR stocks for my AR as I've found them more comfortable and lighter than the Magpul's I've tried. I know its personal preference to a large extent, but that's what works for me so far.

In any case, comparing the LMT SOPMOD to the VLTOR, boy what a difference! The SOPMOD is so comfortable, even more so than my VLTOR. Cheek weld and LOP seems slightly better too. I may be imagining things, but the six position LMT buffer tube appears to be smoother operating than the five position VLTOR tube.

Anyone have any long term use stories or anything I need to be aware of over time? The SOPMOD appears to be pretty well built.

Re: LMT SOPMOD Stock

I use the LMT SOPMOD on my 7.62 Norinco AKM and I'm sticking with it.
Currently, I'm looking for a TAN SOPMOD to replace the Magpul CTR on my MK14 Mod 1.

Right after Christmas I had lunch with the guy that invented the SOPMOD - great guy with an awesome job.

I have one all LMT and another running on a Vltor tube and there is a noticable differance between the two. I've been using them for about 5-6 years now on a 10.5" and a RECCE and I love then both.

I've seen them come into work that have been used HARD and they keep going where the Colt stocks fail. One of the single best upgrades you can make on a M4 if you ask me.

LMT falls short for prone shooting...nothing to hold onto with the offhand. ACS is much better but if prone isnt in the plan the LMT is GTG.

Who makes a side sling mod for the first gen stocks? I noticed gear sector makes a bolt on retrofit. Anyone else worth looking at?

Normally I would NEVER recommend airsoft parts to anyone for anything other than airsoft. That said, I picked up a airsoft SOPMOD copy a few years ago for practically nothing to put on a .22 AR and it's been great. It fits nicely onto a mil spec tube and feels quite well made with no slop and good lock up. As a matter of fact, I had a guy who had a real LMT think the clone was real till I pointed it out. I don't think the plastic is quite as rugged but since chances are I won't be butt-stroking anyone with my plinker I'm not really worried about it.