• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load a 308 like a 7.62x39 for CQB?

acrags

OldGuyNovice
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Central Florida
Hey, guys!!
Instead of an AR-SBR in 5.56, how about an AR-SBR in 308?
How about a 308 load that behaves like a 7.62x39?
Can you help with the recipe or finding factory loads?
I got good advice from some Marines.....
running 7.62x39 is a good idea vs 5.56.

Reactions: simonp
You could use the Hodgdon 60 percent formula for H4895 with a 125 grain bullet . You may be able to load down to 7.62x 39mm levels and still cycle the bolt .

1665446714833.png

Reactions: acrags
Here is the 7.62 x 39mm load for the same bullet . The max load is listed as almost the same as the .308 winchester max load reduced to 60 percent .

1665447075089.png

I just came across this post and have to ask, why would anyone want a 308 in close quarters. Is your adversary shooting at you from behind a washing machine or hot water heater ? Especially an SBR. Just fire blanks and you will render them combat ineffective with just the flash & bang.

Old thread, but we should probably inject some reality for the futures sake lol.

I can understand the desire if all you have is the 308 gasser. Run what you brung and all that.

Reduced loads will likely do fine as long as you can get cycling to be reliable enough for a fighting rifle.

Be sure to use the proper bullet for your reduced velocity if youre serious about this. 300blk bullets like the barnes black tip and a few varmint bullets come to mind.

First chance you get, likely a smart play to grab a 5.56 ar with expanding bullets, none of the sad green tip stuff or fmj.

A 5.56 65ish grain soft point will do perfectly.

I run a 110 with IMR 4198

image.jpg

I have run as low as 36 grains and it cycled just fine in a few different pieces. 36 grain with a short barrel and a 110 projectile will be very close in energy to a 762x39

I have a ton of Vmax loaded at 39.4. Its a pleasure to shoot, much more controlled that 150+ grainers. Much flatter shooting too especially inside 300 yards. Specifically have this for a semi auto with a red dot to move and shoot.

Reactions: acrags and Modoc
Hey, guys!!
Instead of an AR-SBR in 5.56, how about an AR-SBR in 308?
How about a 308 load that behaves like a 7.62x39?
Can you help with the recipe or finding factory loads?
I got good advice from some Marines.....
running 7.62x39 is a good idea vs 5.56.
Why not just build a .300 BLK SBR with a 10.5" barrel?

Wow, look at all the great advice .:rolleyes:

I just came across this post and have to ask, why would anyone want a 308 in close quarters. Is your adversary shooting at you from behind a washing machine or hot water heater ? Especially an SBR. Just fire blanks and you will render them combat ineffective with just the flash & bang.
Thanks everyone for the input, I greatly appreciate it.
My reasons for asking were to confirm what I've been reading elsewhere is true:
one rifle will NOT fit every job.
An operator may need a Mk18 for that job, but I don't do that job.
I might need to clear my own house one day, but not likely; I have better tools for home defense.
I definitely do not need a 308 SBR for any valid reason I can think of; not sure who would.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Haney
I pondered this question today when the guy next to me was shooting an M1A Scout.

I live in an AR ban state.

I guess an M1A scout fits the bill better than a Mini 14 if you are looking for your defensive rifle.

I’d probably choose different but that was his choice.