• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load data RL-17 for the 6.5 Creedmoor Berger 140 gr Hybrid target bullets?

ShipAhoy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2017
Has anyone used RL-17 for the Berger 140 gr Hybrid target bullets and if so how much?

I loaded up some Berger 140 gr Hybrid target with RL-19 according to the Berger Load manual ans used 43.0 grams of powder. My average FPS was ONLY 2558 when it should have been close 2699. I shot them all so I can't go back and remeasure.

Same day I loaded and shot some ELD-M 140 gr with 41.3 grams of RL-17 and they shot 2705 FPS. I really like the RL-17 for the Hornaday bullets and don't know why it's not used for the Berger bullets.

So did I measure the RL-19 wrong or what? I'm not sure and will load some more this weekend and be very careful to watch my measurements. It was all the same brass, primers and the same COAL.

I emailed Berger today and they said I have to call to get that info, they won't email it anymore. So if I can find time tomorrow I will call them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My brother has been shooting 140s with RE-17 with good success at 2760fps. He's using 40.2gr out of a 26" barrel. If you want to shoot RE-17, load a ladder and find a load your rifle likes, then play with seating depth to see if you can improve on your groups. I've yet to find a bullet/powder combo that I couldn't make shoot, but I do a lot of ladder/OCW testing.