• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Load developement same with suppressor?

mark42quin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
Edgewood, NM
If one were to develope a load without a suppressor, I know the POI will probably shift... but will the groups stay the same? Or is it common to have to come up with another load?

thanks,

Q

Re: Load developement same with suppressor?

50/50 chance your gun will shoot the same. All you can do is try. The harmonics will change when you hang the muffler off the end of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark42quin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one were to develope a load without a suppressor, I know the POI will probably shift... but will the groups stay the same? Or is it common to have to come up with another load?

thanks,

Q</div></div>

Groups will be the same or better depending on what calibre you shoot and how. There should be no difference but removing the big bang sometimes reduces a flinch so pulling the group in.

Same load, same result, slightly deflected barrel => lower POI

Will give it a shot... shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor... its doing about .4 right now... hope it holds

It seems that the can will usually tighten things up just a tad. In my experience, the gun has shot better with the can than without. I have to assume that part is the deadening or altering the wave length of the barrel harmonics.

My supressor loads are usually loaded with a bit less powder. I will typically see ejector marks with a suppressor when using what I think is near the max load without a suppressor. Accuracy seems just as good though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark42quin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one were to develope a load without a suppressor, I know the POI will probably shift... but will the groups stay the same? Or is it common to have to come up with another load?

thanks,

Q</div></div>

Groups will be the same or better depending on what calibre you shoot and how. There should be no difference but removing the big bang sometimes reduces a flinch so pulling the group in.

Same load, same result, slightly deflected barrel => lower POI </div></div>

That's not entirely accurate. Suppressors create more pressure which can increase FPS and pressures in your chamber. I have found that shooting a "hot" load in an unsuppressed rifle then going to a suppressor will leave pressure signs on spent brass. You need to test for yourself on the load you are running with and without the can.

Interesting... by how much do you find yourselves reducing a load when using a can??

So if you want "multi-purpose loads" would it then be better to determine your max load with the suppressor on?

Then develop your loads with the suppressor off to determine what loads group well, then from those that group well, determine which load groups best with the suppressor on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark42quin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will give it a shot... shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor... its doing about .4 right now... hope it holds</div></div>

What load have you settled on with your Creedmoor?
Getting ready to hang my can on mine so just checking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50/50 chance your gun will shoot the same. All you can do is try. The harmonics will change when you hang the muffler off the end of it. </div></div>
So you're saying that chances are, barrel harmonics won't change enough to require a new ladder test?
confused.gif