• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development concerns

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
I was out doing some load development today, basicaly pressure testing in preperation for load work up.

Here's the deal:
77 deg. 1240 ASL
29% humidity
30.09 in.
.308 sps-V factory barrelled action
Winchester Brass
CCI 200
RL-15
175 SMK
COL 2.800

I started my load at
37.8 netted 2239 FPS.

Worked up to book max (Sierra) plus 2 grns (43.3), and saw no pressure signs.

So I worked up to 47.3 grns (compressed load) still no signs of pressure, and get a velocity of 2839.
shocked.gif

I am not going any further, but does this seem a little extreme? I am going to start ladder testing around 42.3 (2519 fps) and go up from there.

I guess I was a little surprised/concerned I haven't seen any pressure signs 6 grns over my sierra manual. Anybody running this high?

Also, I started uniforming primer pockets, hoping cleaning will be easier, but the primers seem like they are seated a little deep for my liking. I ran the uniformer just enough to clean the bottom of the pocket near the flash hole and my primers now sit about .011 below the base. Is this too deep or normal?

Thanks!

Re: Load development concerns

Manuals are edited by Lawyers, there's really no reason to push a 175 faster than 2700ish, doing so put alot more stress on the brass than is required, making failures of much more common, find the load that bug holes with low ES/SD and refine it with seating depth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manuals are edited by Lawyers, there's really no reason to push a 175 faster than 2700ish, doing so put alot more stress on the brass than is required, making failures of much more common, find the load that bug holes with low ES/SD and refine it with seating depth. </div></div>
+1

If you are going to color outside the lines on a regular basis; you sure need to watch for pressure signs on hot days.

+1 all above, and primer depth is ok.
My primer pocket cutter is set at maximum saami depth, and seated primers are 'set in' too.

My original intent was to find the maximum charge for that load in my rifle, per the stickied "powdering it" thread.

My intent is for 2650-2700 fps, just wanted to know what the upper limit is. I'd say its high enough.