• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development for a Tikka T3 Varmint

Tack

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Hi,
As the title says I want to do some load development for my new Tikka T3 Varmint.
The rifle will be strictly a target tool and the range will not exceed 500 yards.
The classic components for a .308 target rifle are Lapua cases, CCI BR2 primers and Varget powder. I have plenty of each on hand. I also have Sierra 168 grain Matchkings to begin but I was wondering if 175 Matchkings or some other, slightly heavier bullet would be better in a 1 in 11 twist barrel such as the Tikka's.
If someone out there owns this particular model what load works best in it. I need somewhere to start.
Many thanks in anticipation,
Tack

Re: Load Development for a Tikka T3 Varmint

Get several months ago Handloader magazine (Wolfe Publishing in AZ).Has a long story on developing the most accurate 308 load (to equal Federal GMM)
Bergers, Varget, CCI mags and I forget which case.
175s may work in 1 in 11 but 168s are probably optimal.
Even works well in my DPMS 308 16" TAC with a 1.2-4 big post scope!
Except I had to use 168 A Maxes due to magazine considerations.

th308group.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

Re: Load Development for a Tikka T3 Varmint

A start.
In my opinion you have to try pretty hard to get a 308 not to shoot well.

Your 1/11 should be great for 175's and 190's if you care to.
The 1/11.25 seen on many rifles is considered optimized for the 175 Sierra.
My 1/12 shot 175 great.
I used Winchester brass and 45 grains of Varget.
Lapua has less internal volume so that load would be too hot for your rifle, back off to 42 and work up.

That ballpark should shoot 168's pretty well too.
The 168 is a 175 with a shorter boat tail.