• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load development help needed!!!

Blake940

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2020
So I recently bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6 creedmoor and after 100 factory rounds I decided to hand load for it. First to find seatting depth that I could do my OCW test at I used Erik Cortinas method of Jam minus 20 thou. I then proceeded to do an OCW test from min to max charge in .3 gr increments. I found a node at 44 grains of VV N560 by looking for 3 different groups that fell int the same POI. I then loaded in one grain increments up and down from 44 gr. The groups went from 1 moa down to .25 moa at 44gr then back up to 1 moa again. This confirmed my 44 gr node. I then took my 44gr load and shot it again and same thing .25moa. Then the next day i loaded ten of these rounds that shot .25 moa at 100 yards and shot three at 100 which grouped very well again but then when I shot the rest at 280 yards they opened up to over 4 inches. i was baffled that a .25 moa group at 100 could open up that much at 280 yards. i though maybe it was me but every shot was perfect, smooth trigger pull, still on target after shot on 24 power so no funky jumping around going on. I know because I'm not using a crono that i cant see my SD/ES but .15 moa vertical dispersion at 100 yards should mean my velocity is almost the same every shot right? i was thinking maybe seeting depth because I haven't played with that yet. I really don't want to waste money on a chronograph if I dont have too. i also thought maybe wind but there was zero wind today. So how on earth would a 1/4 moa 100 yard group end up all over the place at 280 yards?