• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load Development Log

shelpster66

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
The Gunshine State
Would love a little guidance on this fellas.

I loaded up some ammo and have logged it in my binder that I have with all of the pertinent data I think I need.
I've logged it like this...the powder was the only change at this point.

1. Produced - 6/08/2011....20 rounds
Win Brass Cleaned & Trimmed to 2.005"
Sierra MatchKing 175 HPBT
Varget Powder @ 42.0 gr.
CCI 200 Primers

2. Produced - 6/18/2011....20 rounds
Varget Powder @ 43.0 gr.
CCI 200 Primers

3. Produced - 6/18/2011....10 rounds
Varget Powder @ 44.0 gr.
CCI 200 Primers

This is how I plan on cataloging my data. Am I missing anything? Should I be including Lot#'s of powder?

I know some will say for proper load development you'll need a Chrono....I'm getting one, just don't have the cash to spare right now. (Just spent quite a bit on a new wheel-set & helmet for my bike, so I need to recover from that.)
Should I log the groups that I shoot with each set?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but the searches I did weren't very helpful. I just want to be sure I get the most accurate load without seeing any signs of too much pressure.

Thanks !!
Mike

Re: Load Development Log

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shelpster66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would love a little guidance on this fellas.

I loaded up some ammo and have logged it in my binder that I have with all of the pertinent data I think I need.
I've logged it like this...the powder was the only change at this point.

1. Produced - 6/08/2011....20 rounds
Varget Powder @ 42.0 gr.
CCI 200 Primers

2. Produced - 6/18/2011....20 rounds
Varget Powder @ 43.0 gr.
CCI 200 Primers

3. Produced - 6/18/2011....10 rounds
Varget Powder @ 44.0 gr.
CCI 200 Primers

This is how I plan on cataloging my data. Am I missing anything? Should I be including Lot#'s of powder?

I know some will say for proper load development you'll need a Chrono....I'm getting one, just don't have the cash to spare right now. (Just spent quite a bit on a new wheel-set & helmet for my bike, so I need to recover from that.)
Should I log the groups that I shoot with each set?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but the searches I did weren't very helpful. I just want to be sure I get the most accurate load without seeing any signs of too much pressure.

Thanks !!
Mike</div></div>

Looks like a good start! Like you mentioned, chrono data is nice to have. If you don't have one, I would still write down the expected velocity from your data so you have something to go off. I also note which source I'm getting my data from (Hornady, Speer, self, etc.)

Besides that, I think you should record the OAL of the loaded cartridge.

Good luck!

Sorry...forgot that....I appreciate the feedback.

OAL - 2.810 - 2.813

they vary due to the bullet tips not being exact.

I would add the lot numbers for the powder, primers and bullets.

I carry my logs in an eXcel spreadsheet and one of the reasons is that I can copy these lot numbers from atch to batch with a simple "=B12" that goes and gets the lot number from where it was orriginally placed.

Later on as you get more and more chrono data, you can process larger lots of bullets into ES and SD and group size data if you please.

I will take some of your info and incorporate it into my spreadsheet, I need a chronograph.. I see you use OAL, when dealing with my AR-15 that's all I can deal with, but when loading for my rifle I do Ogive.

Great job!

Below is how my current load data looks like. Note my "die setting" that is for my Redding Comp micrometer dies.

AR-15 Load Data
Rifle Load Data

I'd add group size, or pictures of groups with "On Target" data. As added above length, distance to lands, and when you get a chronograph, velocity. On Target is avaiable to download.

I saw that on target program....I may need to get that into the mix.

Thanks everyone for the replies....testing in the morning.

Mike